Should I wear a dress?

grapefruitjellybean

Mouseketeer
I prefer to wear dresses in the summer heat. Will this be a problem for rides? I know FoP might be tricky. Are there other rides I should be aware of when wearing a dress?
Thanks!

Edit: This question is not about modesty. I don't wear shorts under dresses. I want to know which rides would make dresses awkward.

Last edited:
Hi! I wear one or two dresses in the parks all the time! I wear bike or dance shorts (both short and long length) in the dresses. If the dress doesn't have pockets and is dark enough, I will wear my black bike shorts with pockets so my phone has a place to go. I have different colors too so it helps with whatever I am wearing! (if you are plus size I recommend checking out torrid for bike shorts!)

On rides they aren't a huge problem. My biggest issues come with entering and exiting the ride vehicle (don't want to flash anyone!) but the bike shorts also allow me to feel like I am not being unladylike if I'm on lets say mine train where there is one of those seats that have the leg separators. The only ride I definitely would have a problem on is the carousel. There is no real nice way to get on or off with a dress.

I wear shorts underneath. Not for modesty purposes but I walk a lot at WDW and the chafing is… unpleasant.
Reminds me of my favorite John Pinette bit.

"The first day at Disney World I wore jeans. Oh, I was a little chafed. You could have roasted a chicken in between my thighs. Thank God for that Gold Bond Medicated Powder. I had that in a holster by the end of the week. I could draw it like Wyatt Earp."

Reminds me of my favorite John Pinette bit.

"The first day at Disney World I wore jeans. Oh, I was a little chafed. You could have roasted a chicken in between my thighs. Thank God for that Gold Bond Medicated Powder. I had that in a holster by the end of the week. I could draw it like Wyatt Earp."
I've just googled John Pinette. I bear more than a passing resemblance to him... lol.

Mmm, chicken...

Shorts under a dress? I have never heard of this. I suspect that would not help to cool me down.

Many people say the wear bike shorts under dresses. I guess it gives extra coverage and you don't have to worry about flashing anyone, but I can't help but feel like that kind of defeats the purpose, but to each their own. I would think they would be hot, but maybe they sell lightweight ones?

I prefer to wear dresses in the summer heat. Will this be a problem for rides? I know FoP might be tricky. Are there other rides I should be aware of when wearing a dress?
Thanks!

I wear dresses all summer every summer! I find them much cooler than shorts. I've not had an issue with rides, My dresses come to just above the knee or ankle length.

As far as shorts - when I am working the farmers market, lots of bending over etc, I wear underarmor or capezio shorts. Another option (get ready to laugh!) are men's BOXERS! Much cooler and room to breathe!

I wore dresses in the park frequently on my last visit. I do choose to wear slip shorts underneath.
Slip shorts are the way to go!
Shorts under a dress? I have never heard of this. I suspect that would not help to cool me down.
Look for slip shorts. They are very thin, usually made of spandex, but still provide coverage. They mostly come I'm beige but I've had a pink amd a black pair as well.

I used to wear them all the time and didn't wear shorts or slip shorts under them. They usually came down to close to my knees. Had to have pockets, which are hard to come by and I don't sew. I've since changed to wearing skorts because you can find golf ones and hiking ones with pockets and don't have to carry a bag if I don't want to.

I don’t want to wear shorts under a dress. My question is about rides and seats and dresses. Like which rides have odd seats like FoP or restraints that go in between the legs. On those days I can wear bike shorts, without a dress.

Last edited:
I don’t want to wear shorts under a dress. My question is about rides and seats and dresses. Like which rides have odd seats like FoP or restraints that go in between the legs. On those days I can wear bike shorts, without a dress.
I think we all misunderstood your question and went for suggestions on how to manage a dress. This might be what you are looking for:
MK - carousel. Maybe Astro Orbitor, though that could be a "me" problem. :)
EP - Soarin' (if you are small enough to need the strap between your legs)
AK - FOP
HS - don't think there's one here that would be a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter