Shoes and clothes in Italy/Greece

Luvmypetz

Mouseketeer
Greetings all. This question more geared towards women I’m guessing. While in these countries and doing a lot of walking, do you recommend a good walking sandal? I’ve gotten blisters while in sneakers in the past. Also, do you recommend pants or shorts with multiple pockets as opposed to any large backpack? Any and all suggestions appreciated! Thank you

I don't wear sandals to tour, generally speaking. In Italy and Greece, you might visit locations with ruins and uneven terrain, and open toes are a bad idea. I wear Ecco walking shoes, kinda a low hiker, like this: https://us.ecco.com/ecco-exohike-womens-low-hm-840763.html?dwvar_840763_color=01539

I also don't carry a backpack (ever). I usually do a crossbody bag and a money belt I keep under my pants. You'll need to have your knees and shoulders covered to enter some churches.

I’m going with midi dresses(calf length), a lightweight cardigan for covering shoulders in churches, Chaco walking sandals, and a theft “proof” backpack. Have two little ones that will be with us so need snacks, water bottles, etc. Chaco came highly recommended, I tend to experience blisters with cute sneakers and didn’t want to trek around Europe in regular tennis shoes. Trying to look a little cute while momming it up 🤣

I can't do tennis shoes when I'm hot — my feet swell up — so for my last Italy trip I got some sandals with good tread and sturdy backs so I could walk easily over surfaces that weren't smooth, which there are a lot of. I typically wore cargo shorts/capris, but since my last big trip pre-pandemic I've transitioned to wearing dresses almost every day, so that's probably what I'll do for my next European vacation. I never bring a backpack if I can at all help it; the exception might be if a port adventure requires a long bus ride, then I'll bring a book bag and leave it on the bus while we're exploring. I second the recommendation to bring a scarf or cardigan to cover your shoulders if you want to go inside any churches. I've definitely been shooed out of churches before for not wearing the "right" clothing.

Most of us wore sneakers but we were fine with it - much better than a pair of sandals for us. A lot of walking, hills, cobblestones, etc.

Definitely need some sort of back pack. Just like Disney/any other destination, you will need to carry water, suntan lotion, wallet, etc.

We were there during the month of July. I bought my DH and my two sons DSs the convertible (?not sure what they are called) pants. Thin. They had a little overlap below the knee. Once we were done with visiting a church, they unzipped the bottom portion and they became shorts. I wore shorts under my skirt a few times. If it got too hot, just took the skirt off. Definitely bring a nice scarf too for shoulder covering. Definitely need a backpack to throw things in.

You really have to watch for pick pockets if you're heading to Rome. Pockets, purses, and backpacks are all at risk, so whatever you choose, be sure to secure stuff with locks, safety pins, etc.

As for shoes, i would agree that open toe could be risky. I know they make some hiking sandals with a more closed toe, like Keens.

My wife learned the hard way by twisting her ankle while wearing sandals on one excursing that had cobblestone streets that afterwards she worn her tennis shoes the rest of the cruise. There were a lot of cobblestone streets and uneven terrain that you end up having to walk over. So a good walking shoe with support, I feel is a must. We did carry a backpack with us, but that carried water and snacks, we used an under the shirt money belt for anything valuable.

Psy

We carried the "backpack" in front of our body because of picket pockets.

Piggybacking this question... would denim capris (below the knee) be okay for churches? And how short can a skirt be? I mean, if I'm standing with my arms at my sides, it's below the knees, but if I start moving, my knees may show. Is that a no-no?
(It seems to me that a nice sundress at the knees would be more appropriate than potentially ripped jeans, but who knows?)

Like someone else said, I just bought my son a few pairs of the zip off shorts/pants. I think that's a smart idea!

Piggybacking this question... would denim capris (below the knee) be okay for churches? And how short can a skirt be? I mean, if I'm standing with my arms at my sides, it's below the knees, but if I start moving, my knees may show. Is that a no-no?
(It seems to me that a nice sundress at the knees would be more appropriate than potentially ripped jeans, but who knows?)
Capris below the knee are fine. I *think* just about any length skirt/dress is okay, even if it's above the knee. I've never seen anyone turned away from a church in a skirt, but I have seen folks turned away in shorts even if they covered as much skin (or more) as a skirt would. I don't remember if there are rules against ripped jeans in churches; I don't think so, but it's always been too hot for me to wear jeans when I've visited Europe so I haven't really paid attention.

When I was in Greece, I went to the sea in sandals, but on excursions I wore sneakers or just closed shoes because I felt very sorry for my toes. I was waiting for the package for a long time before the trip and accidentally entered the wrong address - fortunately, I managed to clarify everything through https://moneylion.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html . Properly selected shoes really solve a lot of things. Think about the convenience for yourself and your feet

Last edited:
I also don't carry a backpack (ever). I usually do a crossbody bag and a money belt I keep under my pants. You'll need to have your knees and shoulders covered to enter some churches.
Which money belt did you go with? Trying to find one that won't bulge under my clothes. A have an OK one but it looks a bit weird in pics.

Sneakers-especially for excursions to ancient times/historical areas. Ostia Antica in Italy I did in boots because it was March and still snowing here in the US-of course we hit a heat wave! It was brutal. I made sure to wear my sneakers the rest of the trip after that.

Which money belt did you go with? Trying to find one that won't bulge under my clothes. A have an OK one but it looks a bit weird in pics.
I have a Pacsafe one that I bought a long time ago. Last time I looked, they had redesigned them to make them a bit smaller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter