• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

She's Surprised to be back to Disney World, a May 2021 Yacht Club Girl's Trip (Updated 9/8)

Never heard of a boba tea plush toy before, but now that people know that's a thing, they might become more popular among those who read your trip report.
🍵

Last edited:
Somehow I've never read any of your trip reports before, but after I started reading this one, I went back and have started reading your previous reports and have really enjoyed them. I'm on the 2017 report now. Yacht Club looks great. We haven't stayed at any of the resorts in that area, but have been thinking it would be nice to stay there sometime. We have stayed at all the MK area resorts (WL, Poly, GF, and Contemporary) so it would be nice to be near Epcot and HS.

What a fun surprise. I’d love to do this with my girls when they’re older. At the moment I don’t think it would land quite the same—they’re 2 and 4 months. So I have a little while before it means something. Right now everything is a surprise. 🤣

Can’t wait for more updates. The style you guys do your trip reports in is my favorite! It really feels like we’re with you for the adventure. So happy you guys got to do a girls trip, sounds like a lot of fun!

Loved this update. Was it the Flower and Garden Festival going on? Wanted to make sure they didn't add another one I don't know about - LOL

Sounds like you guys had a great first day! Allie looks so surprised! I love girls trips. I did one with my daughter a few years ago when she was 12 and I’m planning another one for this year.
It really was a perfect first day. This tween age I feel like is so important to spend quality time. I feel like I'm laying the foundation of our relationship for when parenting gets really hard.

I used my umbrella for shade when we were there early in May. It was that hot out. :)

I really should have used the umbrella for shade but we were trying to travel light.

Bob is adorable. He has his own personality, doesn't he. ;)
Yep, it is funny how the plus toys develop personalities over a trip...

We really like the Flower and Garden Festival and try to go to it every year. The sticker sheets are a fun activity. Even adults will do it.

I've had to put those cups in a separate cupboard. It is too hard to remember not to throw them in the dishwasher.
We melted a Food and Wine one so we can relate.

The elevator was very busy when we were there in May. You were lucky to be on the ground floor. Our last room was just down the hall from yours but on the third floor.
The first floor really was nice and perfect for this trip.

I like the Yacht Club rooms a lot more than the Beach Club rooms, mostly because of the closet with all of its shelves. The walk in shower is great, too. :)
Because it was only the two of us and we weren't staying as long as we normally do so we didn't actually end up using any of the closet space, just a couple of drawers in the dresser.

Looks like a great time so far! I bet it was different being just the two of you. Your room looks perfect - can't beat the location. I'll be watching for more fun!
It was very different just being the two of us. I actually missed the boys more than I thought I would though.

I just ordered some for my August trip.
I have these ponchos I bought back in 2015. They have been packed for 7 trips and only been used twice. I refer to them as my magic ponchos. If I have one with me, it won't rain.
I'm hoping these ponchos turn into magic ones too, they've been on 4 trips now and haven't been used.

Sometimes our kids like the strangest things!
Yes they do! (I wonder where they get it...)

The Yacht Club is my favourite non DVC resort. :)
Fun! A little self care is always a good thing. :goodvibes
The masks were such a fun girly thing to do together and I think my face appreciated the moisture after being out in the sun for days and traveling.

Never heard of a boba tea plush toy before, but now that people know that's a thing, they might become more popular among those who read your trip report.
🍵
We had also never seen a boba tea plush let alone one that sits on your shoulder but after all of the people that asked about it while we were at Disney they might gain some traction.

Somehow I've never read any of your trip reports before, but after I started reading this one, I went back and have started reading your previous reports and have really enjoyed them. I'm on the 2017 report now. Yacht Club looks great. We haven't stayed at any of the resorts in that area, but have been thinking it would be nice to stay there sometime. We have stayed at all the MK area resorts (WL, Poly, GF, and Contemporary) so it would be nice to be near Epcot and HS.
Welcome! We love sharing our trips and are glad you're here following along. Yacht Club was the perfect resort for this trip and I can't wait to show everyone that area with Beach Club on our January trip.

That little boba tea plush is just the cutest. My kids would love it.
He is super cute, they had a unicorn too.

What a fun surprise. I’d love to do this with my girls when they’re older. At the moment I don’t think it would land quite the same—they’re 2 and 4 months. So I have a little while before it means something. Right now everything is a surprise. 🤣
I always thought I'd like to surprise the kids but roping them in with the planning is half the fun so I never thought it would happen but it just worked out amazing for this trip.

Can’t wait for more updates. The style you guys do your trip reports in is my favorite! It really feels like we’re with you for the adventure. So happy you guys got to do a girls trip, sounds like a lot of fun!
Thanks so much! We started writing this way because we both had things we wanted to share about our trips, and it has turned in to a fun activity once we get home. We love having the record of the trips to look back on, and the friendly comments are great too.

Loved this update. Was it the Flower and Garden Festival going on? Wanted to make sure they didn't add another one I don't know about - LOL
Yes, it was Flower and Garden, which was a new festival for us. Now we've done three of the festivals, and Arts is my favorite, but they have a lot of similarities.

Oh my gosh!!! I am so enjoying reading this. I almost cried reading about the surprise reveal!

I can't wait to read more!

Oh my gosh!!! I am so enjoying reading this. I almost cried reading about the surprise reveal!

I can't wait to read more!
Allie definitely cried, which did surprise us. It was neat though. We can't wait to write and share more, and we have the next update ready to go now.

Our first full day we woke up and were trying to figure out what to do for breakfast. Initially my plan was to do some sort of breakfast in the room but we decided to take off and head to the Magic Kingdom and get breakfast in the park.

We always figured the lack of resort QS would affect us at an Epcot resort, since we do tend to like our Roaring Fork breakfasts at WL.

For the record Roaring Fork breakfasts are better than what we had available at Yacht Club in my opinion. We got in line to get on the bus and were able to get on the first one that came. Being a party of two meant we had an easier time finding space on a bus and never had to wait for a second one.

That is great about the mobility with the small group. I am jealous of that.

Once we were on Main Street we stopped for a selfie with the castle and Bob.

Then we made our way to Gaston's Tavern in search of breakfast.

I see a cinnamon roll in your future (or past...)

We picked up a cinnamon roll and asked for extra frosting.

AJ from DFB would be proud...

It was surprisingly quiet, we were able to get a table to eat at inside which was nice. The sun was already intense.

While we were eating we checked on wait times to figure out which way to head.

And the winner was:

Barnstormer! In an effort to not retrace steps we decided to take a journey under the sea first. We visited Ariel and my buddy Ursula.

Ahh, a California transplant, and one of our favorites from CA Adventure.

Yes, and it was a complete walk on. After that we headed over to Barnstormer. We had a little wait here, maybe 5 minutes though so not bad. Actually according to my pictures it was 9:00 when we got on Ariel and 9:15 by the time we got off Barnstormer.

That's very nice.

Yeah not bad at all. We stopped for a potty break after Barnstormer and then headed over to one of the scariest rides in the Magic Kingdom. Can you guess?

I have a good guess, and I'm surprised she could get you into an Elephant...

She was very persuasive. I texted Paul the most terrifying picutre from our trip.

She's in control!

She thouroughly enjoyed that. After surviving Dumbo we found another ride that goes round and rode the teacups.

She looked pretty happy there too.

she was, we don't ride this ride very often with everyone but Allie really enjoyed calling the shots and choosing the rides.

Part of what made this one special

After a morning of her choices though it was my turn and I got to pick one of my favorites because it was finally running again.

After nearly eternal downtime, you finally got back on the Peoplemover. We had actually been optimistic that this would be open for our January trip, but alas it opened for May.

This was our longest wait yet but so worth it. I really enjoyed getting to ride this again. It did stop a couple of times while we were on it though. I hope that they keep it going. I always fear they're going to take it out like they did the people mover at Disneyland.

Then maybe they could make another attempt at functioning Rocket Rods... I am still bitter that I never got to ride those in their short history at DL.

I did and I loved them but I yes I fear them not learning from former mistakes. After the People Mover we decided to do some shopping.

Allison picked out the cutest pair of mouse ears and a new top.

Which I saw she put on later as soon as you got to the room...

She did! She wore it a couple times on the trip. On our way out of the Emporium the Dapper Dans were coming down Main Street on the trolley car. They are so fun.

After shopping we stopped for a picture on Main Street. I ordered these shirts on Etsy for this trip and they are so cute.

They were cute, and you stored them for a while before the trip, and snuck them into your luggage.

So do you remember those biting flies? Well our bites were swelling and starting to itch like mad.

Did you seek out another overpriced tube of hydrocortisone from a gift shop?

On a previous trip we had stopped at first aid for some itch relief so that's where we headed next. They were really nice and gave us some Calagel which helped so much.

That's neat, I'm glad it helped.

After that we headed over to Adventureland. We thought we might pick up a dole whip before lunch but the mobile ordering times were so far out that we wouldn't get it until lunch time.

Allie was fine with that as long as she got this picture with Orange Bird.

We thought we might ride the Jungle Cruise but the wait was too long. Allie wanted to walk the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House but I was not excited about all of the stairs.

She was so excited so I sent her to do it herself.

Go you Mom, let her have some freedom, and save the stair step exercise...

Yeah I figured I had enough walking in for the day and it was early.

We were going to give Skipper Canteen a chance at redemption.

We actually enjoyed the food when we got it as a last minute ADR a few trips ago, but the server was out of place, so it could have been better...

Yes Allie and I were excited to give it another go.

We were seated in one of the back rooms and it was such a nice break. We really had done a lot of walking being just the two of us.

Allie ordered a fancy slushie drink with boba popping pearls and thought she was getting away with something.

I can see her little smirk right now...

Totally. The server also gave me a boba straw for my diet Coke which was like a supercharged experience.

Nice, now that's a straw I'd like to try. Normally I just drink it without one, with nothing slowing down the flow of Coke...

We decided to order the pao de queijo as an appetizer. It was so so so good. The two of us had no problem eating it all by ourselves.

That's the cheese bread Allie talks about, right? It was her favorite food item of the entire trip!

Yes, it's supposed to be the same Brazilian cheese bread from Food and Wine. We've tried it there before and didn't care for it but this was different. Very delicious.

Seriously she has talked about this a lot since the trip, and demands that we go back for it on a future trip.

We both decided to order the Pad Thai for lunch, Allie got hers with the sauce on the side because the waiter said that it was on the spicy side. Turns out it's not spicy on our spicy scale at all. Next time she says she'd order it as it comes. Oh it also normally comes with tofu and we both ordered ours half tofu half chicken.

That Pad Thai looked and sounded so good just getting pictures on the phone, it made me ready to book an ADR as soon as we can.

We for sure left stuffed. We left no room for dessert.

Stick around for our afternoon adventures.

And we'll cover those in our next update.

For the record Roaring Fork breakfasts are better than what we had available at Yacht Club in my opinion.
We always eat breakfast at the Beach Club marketplace when we stay at the YC. The YC marketplace really doesn't have a good set up for hot food, although it is better than nothing. :)
Allison picked out the cutest pair of mouse ears and a new top.
Adorable.
I ordered these shirts on Etsy for this trip and they are so cute.
The Girls trip shirts are cute.
On a previous trip we had stopped at first aid for some itch relief so that's where we headed next. They were really nice and gave us some Calagel which helped so much.
I'm sure that most people don't know how many things First Aid can help you with. It is nice that they had something for the itch.
We were going to give Skipper Canteen a chance at redemption.
The restaurant looks empty! It looks like a great place to eat, though, with lots to look at.

Looks like this was a very fun day! Allie's new ears are great. Was the Peoplemover ride exactly the same as it used to be? Was Bob jealous when Allie had the boba slushie at Skipper Canteen?

I love your style of reporting -- it's great! So far sounds like a fantastic trip :D

That's the cheese bread Allie talks about, right? It was her favorite food item of the entire trip!

Yes, it's supposed to be the same Brazilian cheese bread from Food and Wine. We've tried it there before and didn't care for it but this was different. Very delicious.
So, I have strong opinions on the cheese bread -- I lived in Brazil for a year and a half and multiple versions of pao de queijo, including several homemade versions. The pao de queijo at Food and Wine is gross and not at all what I was familiar with. This pao de queijo at Skipper Canteen -- this is the real deal! So delicious! :D Glad you all enjoyed it!

We always eat breakfast at the Beach Club marketplace when we stay at the YC. The YC marketplace really doesn't have a good set up for hot food, although it is better than nothing. :)
We discovered that, but eventually wound up ordering take out from Ale and Compass instead many days. That worked really well.

The Girls trip shirts are cute.
Thanks, we got a lot of compliments on them durng the trip.

I'm sure that most people don't know how many things First Aid can help you with. It is nice that they had something for the itch.
They helped us with that twice on this trip, and have always been super helpful. They are a great resource to know about at WDW.

The restaurant looks empty! It looks like a great place to eat, though, with lots to look at.
It was pretty quiet, especially compared to the last time we were there. The decor is really cool, especially in that room.

Looks like this was a very fun day! Allie's new ears are great. Was the Peoplemover ride exactly the same as it used to be? Was Bob jealous when Allie had the boba slushie at Skipper Canteen?
Thanks! Allie loved those ears. The Peoplemover was exactly the same as before, but that's ok. Bob was just happy to not be on the menu at Skipper Canteen...

I love your style of reporting -- it's great! So far sounds like a fantastic trip :D
Thank you so much! It was a great trip, although very different from most of ours.

So, I have strong opinions on the cheese bread -- I lived in Brazil for a year and a half and multiple versions of pao de queijo, including several homemade versions. The pao de queijo at Food and Wine is gross and not at all what I was familiar with. This pao de queijo at Skipper Canteen -- this is the real deal! So delicious! :D Glad you all enjoyed it!
I thought I was crazy because we didn't like the Food and Wine cheese bread either! This was totally different, and I would order it any time I could get it. Allie still talks about it, and it was her favorite food item of the trip. I'm glad to hear the good stuff is authentic, I knew I had good taste...

Allie's tops and ears are so cute.

I love your Girls Trip shirts. I did a set like that when we went.

I may need to give Skipper's Canteen a try next trip. The food looked great!

Enjoying your report!
Thanks! We're sorry it is taking so long to write, we just closed on the sale of our house and are just about to move to the new one, so life is busy but it is great to take a break and think of Disney.

Allie's tops and ears are so cute.
Thanks, she loved them and was pretty adorable.

I love your Girls Trip shirts. I did a set like that when we went.
You've just got to do it, right?

I may need to give Skipper's Canteen a try next trip. The food looked great!
We were impressed with the food both times we've been, and this time it was great. It is a nice spot, and not usually super hard to get in to.

After lunch I checked ride wait times and the park was super busy. We for sure weren't the only ones on vacation.

Yeah, May wasn’t as quiet as we might have hoped.

Allie decided that she didn't want to wait in line for anything but instead wanted to head back to the resort to check out Stormalong Bay.

That was something she has looked forward to for years.

Yeah we both were looking forward to it but first we had to stop at the pillory for a picture.

The what?

The pillory, so we learned something in Colonial Williamsburg. The thing that holds your head and hands is called a pillory.

Ahh see, there you go making it an educational field trip.

Stocks are for your feet.

So are socks, but that’s another issue.

Yes but the pillory in Williamsburg was closed for Covid but the one in Magic Kingdom was open so she was excited to get a picture.

Awesome!

She also wanted to go see Momento Mori, it's such a neat little gift shop. We didn't buy anything though.

We headed out of the park leaving the crowd and headed for a new bus stop for us. We headed to stop number 15 to wait for the bus. We probably didn't have to wait too long, probably just long enough. I didn't keep track of times as well as Paul normally does.

It wasn’t a bad wait, that’s all that matters.

So when we got back to the resort we put on our suits and some sunscreen and headed out to check out the sandy pool and lazy river.

Was there a wait to get in to the pool?

No there wasn't. We had seen that there had been long waits earlier in the spring but we didn't have to wait at all.

We checked out all of the pools and Allie went down the slide a couple times. We tried out the lazy river but didn't hang out there long. It's really deep and the water was a chilly.

I was surprised that the lazy river wasn’t as neat as we hoped. Cold and deep isn’t the best.

We swam for about an hour and then headed back to the room to get ready for dinner. Do you remember where we went?

I believe so, and it was one time where I got really jealous of you being there. My burger at home didn’t compare with one from Boathouse...

We were headed to Disney Springs to one of Paul's favorites.

You had tried for Homecomin, but nothing was available, so darn you had to settle for the best...

We had a ton of time to kill before dinner so we decided to do some shopping first.

Our first stop was Francesca's where both picked up some new earings. Allie wore hers for the rest of the trip.

I’m sure that was fun.

Next up we went across the bridge and stopped at the art store first. There were a couple pieces there that I liked but nothing that was going to come home with us.

We did enough of that last trip.

Oh for sure... Next up we went over to the Christmas store to pick out an ornament for our trip.

The tradition continued!

Allie picked out a cute one with Cinderella's slipper in it. We had it personalized and then had it shipped home. I still don't know why we waited so long to do that.

I wondered if it was going to beat you home.

Next up we found ourselves at the toy store looking for something for Marshall. We didn't find anything we thought he'd like that he didn't already have though.

So the search would continue.

Yes yes, next up the CoOp. This is one of my favorite places at Disney Springs. We happened to be there on the day they released the new Tinkerbelle Dooney. I really considered it but Allie helped me resist.

We did find a super cute matted print though for the kitchen in our new house.

We also saw a piece that matched a piece that we got for Paul a couple of trips ago. They didn't have the matted version though but I was able to get a postcard. We'll frame that too.

Aww, I love that one.

We were kind of warm and in need of a snack so we decided to share a dole whip. It was really good on a warm afternoon.

That’s cool, literally

Allie was looking so cute and we were having so much fun.

After our snack we went through World of Disney. We still didn't find anything for Marshall but Allie did add another Nuimo to the group. So now we had Angel and Eeyore as travelling companions.

Cute. The Nuimos were the souvenir of the trip last time, so it was neat she got a couple more.

It was finally time for dinner! Being just the two of us we were seated as soon as we checked in which was nice.

I heard you were seated in a whole new room for us.

The restaurant was so busy! It really didn't feel like they had reduced capacity that much at all. We were seated all the way in the back in the trophy room. I didn't even know the restaurant was that big.

Allie was really excited to order Oysters Rockafelller.

Allison is right inbetween being able to order off kids menus or adult menus but often enjoys what is on the adult menu more. For this trip I didn't care what she ordered too much but in general if she ordered an expensive appetizer I made her order off of the kids menu. So here she ordered chicken strips and fries. I went with the Gibson burger.

A solid burger choice. It did make my mouth water that night at home. It is cute she ordered the oysters and chicken strips. We had to tell Jon that he had influenced her.

I texted him from dinner, he was so proud.

She ate 3 of the 4 oysters and I got the last one. She wasn't even gonna share. It was the first time that I've had that burger and it was so so good.

We were both stuffed and left no room for dessert. When the waiter brought the check he told Allie how impressed he was at her ordering and then enjoying the oysters. He told her the first time he tried oysters he was 27 years old and guess how old he was... 27 years old. It was pretty cute.

That’s funny. Our little culinary adventurer.

She does have good taste... don't ask her to eat a hot dog though...

After dinner we waddled our way out of the restaurant to continue our shopping at Disney Springs.

We found some more crowds. I thought a Tuesday evening wouldn't be so crowded but it was still busy here too..

Our end goal was the M&M's store to pick up some cheesecake m&m's for Paul but on the way we found him this monorail shirt. I wanted to buy it for him but Allie wouldn't let me.

What do you think, would you wear it?

Aww, it is cool but she’s probably right that I wouldn’t get to wear it much. But wearing it on trips might be enough.

Maybe it'll be there next time. Next up we checked out a store we'd never been to before. We had to wait in a tiny line to get in to the Marvel store.

Allie wanted to see if they had any Wanda Vison merch. I think they had one tshirt. It was a sorry selection.

Ahh, that had to disappoint her, she does like Wanda Vision

BUT we did find something for Marshall...

We got him this Avenger's bow and arrow set.

He absolutely loves it. It also barely fit in the suitcase but I wouldn't find that out for a couple more days.

They showed him a picture of it before coming home and he got so excited. The rest of the time they were gone he talked about how he couldn’t wait to get his bow and arrow... and to see them.

Aww we really did miss you guys we promise.

After that we ventured over to the M&M's store and it was closed. There was no indication why, there was just this little sign on the door that said "Sorry we're closed"

I read about that on DFB. I never saw why it was unexpectedly closed.

Neither did I but I'm pretty sure it was closed the rest of our trip. We never came back to Disney Springs to check it out ourselves though either.

Still wanting to see some candy we went into another store we've never actually been inside of before. Candy Cauldron.

We didn't end up buying anything because we were still so full from dinner but it was neat to see the inside of. The theming is really great.

That sounds cool

Our last stop of the evening was the Coke store.

We have been in here a couple times but never higher than the first floor and Allie wanted to see the roof.

Nice. It is as close as she could get you to going up in the balloon.

Oh totally, she barely got me on the roof. We went up the elevator and stopped on the second floor. I found this great Tervis tumbler with the Diet Coke logo on it which I love.

I still wonder if that was supposed to be for me, but it’s ok, later on you found me an even better one.

Lol no actually I almost bought two but they're kinda pricy. I'm actually glad I didn't because yeah you got something better.

So from the second floor we walked up the ramp to the roof.

It was pretty windy up there. Also sticky.

Wow, sticky, huh? Like from spilled drinks?

Yes, it kinda grossed me out. And then we were also super high up. So between the wind, the height, and the sticky we didn't stay long.

It does not sound like Melissa’s happy place. And you didn’t even get Beverly

No, no it wasn't. Not even any samples of soda. They also didn't have enough Diet Coke stuff. I feel like they're missing an opportunity. Us Diet Coke drinkers are super loyal.

Yes because us Diet Coke fans are definitely loyal.

On the way down we took the ramp the whole way. That was kind of a neat find. I didn't know it went all the way down, I thought you had to take the elevator.

That’s cool, avoid those elevators

Elevators can be sketchy, ask me how I know. After the Coke store we were both beat and decided to head to the busses. We had walked so much and were both pretty darned tired.

It seemed like a very full day.

It was but would you like to guess what time we decided to call it a day?

About 10?

8:17.

You wild girls.

It wasn't even dark yet.

So the bus stops for Yacht and Beach are way over on the middle finger of the bus terminal. We have gotten really spoiled with the Wilderness Lodge bus stop location there.

Oh yeah. Just what you needed, more walking

Yeah, it's acutally almost by the theaters, if you come at it from that way it's alot closer. At least we know for next time.

That will be nice to know, and maybe we will see more of that side of Disney Springs.

We rode the bus back to the resort and settled in for the night.

We got in this routine where we'd get back to the room a little early in the evening and just watch HGTV before we'd call the boys before bed. We facetimed them every night.

That was awesome, and the times worked out well since it was usually about our dinner time.

And that's it for Tuesday. We had a great full day with lots of walking and good food.

Next up we hit Hollywood Studios. The big question is does Melissa wake up in time to snag a boarding group for Rise of the Resistance?...

Ohhh the suspense!

Great update!

I just have to mention that I read "Facetimed" as "Fascinated" above...I was like you go with your storytelling master skills lady! :cutie: Yes I giggled at myself because I am that goofy.

And congrats on the sale of your house and the new home. Can't wait to see some Disney art walls!

Lynn

So now we had Angel and Eeyore as travelling companions.
They are cute. Do they have accessories to buy?
Allie was really excited to order Oysters Rockafelller.
Is this the first time she had them? That was nice of the waiter to give her a compliment. :)

We got him this Avenger's bow and arrow set.
It's a good thing it fit in the suitcase. I would be worried about carrying it through the airport if it wasn't hidden in a bag. It looks like a great toy for Marshall.
Still wanting to see some candy we went into another store we've never actually been inside of before. Candy Cauldron.
Candy Cauldron sounds a little like Honeydukes. ;)
It seemed like a very full day.

It was but would you like to guess what time we decided to call it a day?

About 10?

8:17.
You got a lot done that day. No wonder you were ready to go back to the resort early.

And that's it for Tuesday. We had a great full day with lots of walking and good food.
It looks like a great day. I love Allie's new shirt. Does she wear it at home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter