• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sell me on which is the better Princess Character Meal - CRT or Akershus?

Tormania

DIS Veteran
We are heading back to WDW after Thanksgiving next year with friends who have three girls (15, 11, 7) at trip time. They are wanting to do a Princess character meal (I'm thinking breakfast) and the obvious choices are CRT or Akershus. For those that have attended one (or both) of these meals what are your opinions and which would you suggest? Right now the pull is strong for CRT as our friends are much more MK folks than Epcot so that alone may be the deciding factor but it doesn't hurt to get more info from people who have been before. Thanks!!

Have they done CRT before? If not, then that's the clear winner. Nothing better than starting a day in the MK eating in the castle.

Some will say the interactions at Akershus are better. But honestly, it just varies depending on the day and the people involved. Both can be kind of rushed sometimes. Just go into it with some ideas of how to spur conversation with the characters and you'll be fine.

Totally agree on breakfast for either. CRT runs late so I worry about lunch and dinner when we go there.

Breakfast food (and price) is better at Akershus, but the atmosphere and dinner is better at CRT.

Have they done CRT before? If not, then that's the clear winner. Nothing better than starting a day in the MK eating in the castle.

Some will say the interactions at Akershus are better. But honestly, it just varies depending on the day and the people involved. Both can be kind of rushed sometimes. Just go into it with some ideas of how to spur conversation with the characters and you'll be fine.

This is the girls first trip to WDW, the older ones have been to DL for their respective first trips to Disney, for the youngest this will be her first trip period to any Disney park. I don't know if they have CRT at DL (have never looked honestly) so pretty sure it would be a first for them all. The magic of eating in the Castle to start your day at MK might be pretty hard to beat for them all, regardless of the higher price.

Dining in the castle is magical. We tend to get jaded because it is expensive and the food is meh (generally)

but for a first time w girls who want the princesses? Definitely crt if the budget allows. Keep expectations manageable and you should have an awesome meal

Hands down CRT.
I mean, the food is OK, but the setting is absolutely a must do at least once.
Akershus food is worse, and the setting is no where near as magic.

CRT and we have done both. Akershus is nice, but it will blow your mind the first time you see the inside of the castle.

This is the girls first trip to WDW, the older ones have been to DL for their respective first trips to Disney, for the youngest this will be her first trip period to any Disney park. I don't know if they have CRT at DL (have never looked honestly) so pretty sure it would be a first for them all. The magic of eating in the Castle to start your day at MK might be pretty hard to beat for them all, regardless of the higher price.

Ah yes, definitely CRT then. Seeing the princesses in the castle will be a great WDW experience for them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone, now the challenge will be getting an RSVP for 10 for CRT for the first week of Dec when they open up for us at the end of May.

I think you are making a good choice with CRT.

We actually prefer the food and atmosphere at Akershus, but CRT is a very special and magical experience. I think everyone should do CRT at least once.

Thanks for the replies everyone, now the challenge will be getting an RSVP for 10 for CRT for the first week of Dec when they open up for us at the end of May.

It's possible! I got one for 10 on a trip a few years ago. We sat all along a wall. It's pretty snug in there, so be prepared. Put the people who will want to be in photos on the chairs and the picture takers on the booth/wall side. I don't know if they still take the pictures as you go in with Cindy, but they only let us do one pic (group shot)...some family members wanted couple shots as well, and were disappointed)

I’m going to echo CRT.

we were really not expecting much as the majority of reviews were negative
However; service, characters and food were all tremendous.
Indeed, as we left we addressed a manager and told him of our wonderful server and our whole experience was fabulous.

Akerhaus was pleasant enough-but not on the same level at all.
im rather particular food wise also & much preferred my breakfast at CRT .

Are you staying onsite? If you have it on the back half of your trip you should be able to get something. No there's no restaurant like CRT in DL. At DL you can walk through the castle, but the castle is much smaller, so this will take their breath away.

CRT for sure. Akershus is the only restaurant on WDW - I will never return to . The food was that bad.

We really enjoyed our dinners at CRT last March and the little extras made it feel worth the money.

Agreed that CRT is the better choice. We went there for breakfast and it was magical for my little boys. Went to Akershus for dinner during the same trip. Rushed interactions, cold food, and we were stuffed into a corner. One of the few places we won't go back to, and we have a pretty low bar for giving places a second chance.

I know that I am in the minority here but I liked Akershus better. We went for breakfast to Akershus and dinner at CRT. The breakfast at Akershus was a combination of buffet and family style and had A LOT of options for my picky eaters. The buffet part was helpful for my kids who need to move around a little bit and so getting up to get their food initially worked well. The food was great, the princess interaction was amazing, the price was better, and the kids' parades were fun. We were also able to snag a pre-park opening ADR and then jump right onto Frozen Ever After as soon as it opened up, which was great.

At CRT, it didn't feel any different than other character meals, honestly. It was a nice experience and probably one that I would want to do eventually but it was a one and done for us. I would do Akershus breakfast over and over again.

With price as no option, from those two CRT.

Since two of your girls are older, and 7 isn’t that young, I would consider Trattoria el Forno instead. Ariel and Rap are great, and the older girls may get a kick out of meeting Flynn and Eric.

Just my 2c.

We always take our granddaughters to Akershus breakfast & have always enjoyed it.
I did take them once to CRT breakfast and we loved it too but, for the price, it's probably a 1 & done for us.

I will add another thought......I think the older girls would like 1900 Park Fare Dinner...….buffet is ok but, we had a blast with the step-sisters. Meeting Cinderella, Prince Charming, the stepmom & step sisters....was so much fun.

I think you are making a good choice with CRT.

We actually prefer the food and atmosphere at Akershus, but CRT is a very special and magical experience. I think everyone should do CRT at least once.

I agree. I like CRT if you have never dined in the Castle, however once you have it's over and done IMO. The last time was a chaotic mess and by the end of the meal my girls were almost as glad to get out as their Mom and me.

Akershus for breakfast is lovely and offers Belle. The Castle is spectacular as well in it's own way. This was my girls favorite Princess meal.

OP- I booked meals for 9 at CRT and several other restaurants with no problems when I called 180 days out. Put CRT later in your trip and you wil be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter