Second Home Resort

I am considering which resorts my wife would like if she never left the premises.

Secondly since I plan to go yearly I would ultimately like to divide WDW into thirds to make it manageable because as a group we move slowly.
My initial thought was 3 Home resorts but I think we will start at 2. The first trip would be a split stay to see if my family likes that. If not we will alternate which resort we use each year.

Right now it looks like Animal Kingdom and Copper Creek fit the bill.

We have RIV, VGF and SSR. The first two so we can split stay each trip and the SSR is more so we can use them to upgrade to the larger rooms at 7 months.
This exact combination was one of my initial thoughts.

Since I am buying resale I decided Riviera was not right at this time for us.

This exact combination was one of my initial thoughts.

Since I am buying resale I decided Riviera was not right at this time for us.

RIV is our top resort and we do have both direct and resale there.

But, it makes sense that wouldn’t be the first contract to get resale!

My thought when I started this thread was as a park complement (we own at Poly, so my next resort would be near HS or AK.) But I’m sure there are a lot of other variables that I haven’t thought of and would like to know so I can consider them.

Almost all of my life experience at WDW has been off-site and visiting MK. AK wasn’t around when I was young, my parents saw our sole EPCOT visit as a dud (albeit I now believe this is a reflection on them not EPCOT,) and HS was MGM when I first visited so I could see the Dick Tracy show.

I’m now trying to envision the next few decades and I know what works best now is likely to change over the years.

I’m curious what variables people consider beyond proximity and transportation options to each park.
We don’t take transportation into account since we almost always drive to the parks (even MK) in a rental. We picked RIV because of accessibility to HS and Epcot, since those are our favorite parks and we assumed that eventually our kids would grow into those parks. We picked OKW because we love the laid back vibe, the space, and the feeling of being away from it all while still being in a location that is not far from most parks. We also like to head offsite and find the route near Disney Springs works best for us.

Since this thread is about a second home resort I was wondering if there is a general consensus on which resorts seem to match as companion resorts?

Or do you think most second home resorts are selected because they are at a different park location
For us, it would be for the different park location and transportation access. We have an Epcot resort with BCV. The ability to walk to Epcot and the Skyliner were big factors. If we bought more points it would be GFV for the monorail loop, Seven Seas Lagoon boats, and walk into MK (BLT just isn't our vibe and Poly 2 isn't open yet.)

For us, it would be for the different park location and transportation access. We have an Epcot resort with BCV. The ability to walk to Epcot and the Skyliner were big factors. If we bought more points it would be GFV for the monorail loop, Seven Seas Lagoon boats, and walk into MK (BLT just isn't our vibe and Poly 2 isn't open yet.)
My initial thought were a Home resort at Epcot and MK with a third down the road at Saratoga

Since I did not want to purchase a 2042 that only left Riviera at Epcot and I am conflicted about that resort for several reasons.

I looked at both the Grand Floridian and Copper Creek and I like both but the vibe at Copper Creek is 100% what my wife loves.

So the decision becomes if we purchase a 2nd where. I am running Animal Kingdom over and over in my head. It is another resort my wife could just vacation there and never go to a park.

I am thinking it is not as remote if we are dividing WDW into 2 sections and maybe in the future thirds
Knowing our dynamics it is best if we go often and try to do less each trip.

AKV is a great resort with lots of flexibility/availability for studios, 1-BR, 2-BR, 3-BR, and you can also change point costs by selecting savanna view or standard view. This means as needs change, you can still make good use of your AKV points. Viewing animals and other on-site activities are great for resort-only stays, and the dining is diverse and quite delicious. If you're looking at a split stay, I'd recommend AKV. Long hallways and bus-only transport issues that many point out as negatives may or may not matter to you. Best wishes on enjoying wherever you select!

My initial thought were a Home resort at Epcot and MK with a third down the road at Saratoga

Since I did not want to purchase a 2042 that only left Riviera at Epcot and I am conflicted about that resort for several reasons.

I looked at both the Grand Floridian and Copper Creek and I like both but the vibe at Copper Creek is 100% what my wife loves.

So the decision becomes if we purchase a 2nd where. I am running Animal Kingdom over and over in my head. It is another resort my wife could just vacation there and never go to a park.

I am thinking it is not as remote if we are dividing WDW into 2 sections and maybe in the future thirds
Knowing our dynamics it is best if we go often and try to do less each trip.

If you drive or rent a car, the issues with only buses are improved. I will also be shocked if the Skyliner doesn’t expand to Animal Kingdom Lodge and Animal Kingdom eventually.

We stayed there for a couple nights on our last trip. The rooms were really nice. We were in a 1 bedroom and it had a great mast bath plus a full second bath. We didn’t really explore the resort too much.

Since this thread is about a second home resort I was wondering if there is a general consensus on which resorts seem to match as companion resorts?

Or do you think most second home resorts are selected because they are at a different park location

Some people like to balance a busy resort (close to parks, lots going on - BWV and BCV come to mind as an example), with something laid back, maybe a little farther from the parks - maybe OKW or SSR or VAKL or even the Wilderness Lodge set.

Some like an Epcot resort and a MK resort.

Some like something onsite, and then something offsite - for people who like HHI in the Summer, owning there is essential. Likewise, if you want to stay at VGC with any frequency, you need to own. Early June in Hawaii can drive an Aulani purchase.

Some want something "cheap" for sleep around points - something with a low buy in and low dues that they don't mind staying at, but will generally try for something else at seven months - and then have a home resort for a specific resort - especially if they want it at a specific time (BWV/BCV for Food and Wine is the big one - but if you want to do every December at VGF for instance then you will want to own there.)

So it depends on what you are trying to accomplish with multiple home resorts. If your goal is simply to be on site at WDW, you are better off with a single resort.

Tom1994- the vibe at Copper Creek is 100% what my wife loves.
Happy wife=happy life :-)

We don't own at CCV but loved our stay there. Beautiful- on the water. Boat transport will get you to the monorail resorts for additional food options if you want a no parks vacation.
AKL is also gorgeous but more remote and requires buses or a vehicle. Beautiful pool area.

Happy wife=happy life :-)

We don't own at CCV but loved our stay there. Beautiful- on the water. Boat transport will get you to the monorail resorts for additional food options if you want a no parks vacation.
AKL is also gorgeous but more remote and requires buses or a vehicle. Beautiful pool area.
Well like most men I married up

For your second resort I would recommend buying where you want to stay. As you become more familiar with the system, the 11 month advantage can be really important in planning your trips. Also, it is much easier to manage contracts with the same use-year so I would recommend looking for that as well. Poly was a great choice for your first resort as the location is amazing (monorail to MK and Epcot) and it is a really fun resort. You can request connecting studios if you are traveling with others and most of the time your request will be honored (harder for lake views). Poly was also our first resort and we love it. Although we don't know yet whether the new building will be a part of the same association, there is a strong indication that Disney will do what they did with VGF. There are a lot of additional costs in setting up a new association and the length of the contract that remains would make what they did with VGF much more likely. I think CCV was an exception because the boulder ridge contracts didn't have enough years left on them to be a part of the same association as they did w/ VGF.

Speaking of CCV, that was an our second home resort. We were able to book a room in December the year that it opened (we hadn't added on at this point) and were blown away by how much we liked the resort over the holidays. It is really easy to feel like you need more points when you start going more frequently because at least for us we also wanted to go with friends and family. Having two MK resorts, we thought about adding on at Riviera when it launched so we would have an Epcot area resort. We did a tour before it opened at the DVC center at Saratoga springs and after seeing the rooms, that convinced us to add-on there.

I think for now you are probably fine with the points that you have at Poly, but more than likely you will want to add-on in the future if you see yourself booking 1/2 Bedrooms (2 bedrooms aren't that much more than 1 bedrooms in some cases but 1bedrooms are significantly more than studios). It seems the prices keep going up. The incentives for VGF are good right now, but there will be an increase in price on the 4th. If you start a conversation with a DVC guide and request a price chart, you can at least lock in the current price for a little longer while you make up your mind.

Last edited:
My thought when I started this thread was as a park complement (we own at Poly, so my next resort would be near HS or AK.) But I’m sure there are a lot of other variables that I haven’t thought of and would like to know so I can consider them.

Almost all of my life experience at WDW has been off-site and visiting MK. AK wasn’t around when I was young, my parents saw our sole EPCOT visit as a dud (albeit I now believe this is a reflection on them not EPCOT,) and HS was MGM when I first visited so I could see the Dick Tracy show.

I’m now trying to envision the next few decades and I know what works best now is likely to change over the years.

I’m curious what variables people consider beyond proximity and transportation options to each park.
Just my opinion, but if I were in your shoes, regardless of when you add on, I would give heavy consideration to complimenting your monorail resort location with Boardwalk or Beach Club points. Yes, there are only 2 decades left, but by then your kids will likely be living their own lives, and the benefit of being able to roll out of bed and be at both Epcot and HS entrances with a 10-15 minute walk can not be understated!

In addition, the fun activities on the Boardwalk for both families and adults is unlike any other resort. Add to that the numerous dining options within walking distance (at Epcot, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Clubs and Swan & Dolphin resorts) makes for a terrific vacation destination.

I am somewhat biased as we have been BWV owners for 20+ years but the convenience factor is such an advantage, leading to more flexible and relaxing vacations. Due to the 2042 expiration these 2 resorts are certainly not the “best deal”, but time is money in my book, and we have literally saved hours each day on our WDW vacations over the years by not having to take buses (or a car) to these 2 parks. And resale contracts might also be an option for these resorts in order to make it more economical. Just something to consider.

I do agree with others however - waiting until you have had a chance to stay at any resorts you are considering could be very beneficial.

Enjoy your stays and Welcome Home! 🏰

If the monorail is really important to your wife, I would listen. My spouse wasn’t big on Disney originally and then when we started staying at DVC he flipped. That extra space changed everything for him. Whatever accommodations make her happy— trust me it’s worth it. But… you can get SSR points and use them at monorail resorts. You just can’t use them there at really busy times like Christmas. I personally find GFV very difficult to book period (we don’t own there). And BLT is hard to book standard at anytime without BLT points. POly is more open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter