School requires students to SMILE

Hmmm.....I like the idea of the kids smiling. As long they could do it as encouragement. Put not punish. How do they know if they are not smiling. Who is going to monitor all the kids?

Kids need to learn that school can be fun and enjoy. But not all kids are going to have a great day all the time.

I bet an atty may get involved for the first punishment coming down..

The article does say the vice principal is vigorously enforcing the rule. (Probably gets pleasure in it.) Note this line from the article - Meanwhile, parents claim that reports of bullying in the district are mostly ignored by administrators. Sounds like if they make everyone smile they can pretend that there are no problems in the school.

No one should force fake happiness. Monsters are running that school

**edited based on actual response from school. The school denies this is their policy, so maybe not monsters

I still think the thought came from somewhere though

Last edited:
Only in America.

My immigrant parents were continually perplexed at how often Americans adopted a smile as a default facial expression. They thought it was bizarre and disingenuous, and made it a mission to make sure that we didn't pick up the habit.

As an educator and a parent I find this policy to be absolutely ludicrous.

The school should be teaching children how to identify their true feelings and how to authentically express them in a healthy way. They should be fostering individuality, acceptance, tolerance, and empathy.

Whoever came up with this nonsense is out of his/her mind.

This will no doubt have psychological ramifications.

Oh, believe me, I know that first hand. In middle school, every time I tried to report being bullied my guidance counselor replied "Well, it's YOUR fault." :rolleyes2 I really should thank her for all the mental and emotional scars she gave me. :crutches:

I couldn't get the first link to work. The second link started with a parent talking about the smiling policy then morphing into an unrelated bullying incident? Something is not right.

Ok. I read the first one and it was the same. According to one parent/child in a family who had a beef with the school about a previous bullying incident. How is this news? There were no confirmations from anyone else.

Last edited:
I'm not a fake person, I would not have lasted at that school either...besides I always have RBF or to be nice resting witch face....unless I'm at Disney, then I have a permanent smile, it's amazing
Same here. Fake smiles annoy me to death. Sometimes my face looks like I'm really upset when I'm actually just thinking. I try to always be kind but I'm not super smiley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter