Saving Mr. Banks

Would anybody care to comment about the darker side of this film? I have a sensitive 11 year old, who has been to Disney several times and is familiar with MP/
TX

Would anybody care to comment about the darker side of this film?

The dark moments are presented in flashbacks to P.L. Travers' childhood. Without giving too much away, the flashbacks dealt with issues like relocating, alcoholism, and depression.

Would anybody care to comment about the darker side of this film? I have a sensitive 11 year old, who has been to Disney several times and is familiar with MP/ TX

I would not take a sensitive child to this movie. The flashback scenes are very sad and intense. You know your child best, but you should see it before you decide whether to let you child see it. I also think children would be bored. It is not a kid movie.

We enjoyed the movie, but it really isn't appropriate for younger children. There was a woman in our showing who brought in 2 little girls, around 2 and 6. No way I would have done that.

Also, the thing that I found interesting was after I got home, I googled P.L. Travers and found out a lot about her that wasn't addressed in the movie. In fact, they ignored a lot in order to make it a feel good story.

My son was fine with the movie, but I wouldn't take a younger child. Although we watched all of the preview videos beforehand, it would have been helpful to know more specifics about the upsetting scenes. We could have timed the bathroom visit to skip a few :)
I did cover his eyes for a minute, but as for the "suicide scene" he just thought the Mom was going to go swimming alone and the child didn't want her to….went over his head.
Overall, we loved it. There were way more laughs then we thought, and people in the audience were actually singing sometimes. When it was over and the real tape played, everyone who had previously stood up to leave stopped in their tracks to watch.I've never seen that happen at any film. And, it was sold out!

Just returned from seeing the movie... Loved it! Definitely not a movie for kids, mine would have been bored to tears if I took them. There are some adult problems addressed in the movies that might be tough for kids to understand.
I totally agree. Good for teens, but not little kids. I looked up more about p.l. Travers and her books after we saw the movie. Don't think I will be bothering to read them however.

Saw it today. Really enjoyed it. I thought Tom Hanks did a good job playing Walt Disney. The Sherman brothers were great! The backstory of PL Travers was quite intense and graphic. The Mary Poppins she had in mind is not the one we got. The scenes in Disneyland were really cool!
i thought tom hanks did a great job as well. And I would have loved to have been an extra in 1961 version of Disneyland.

JUST SAW THIS W/ TWO OF MY LIDS-BUT THEY ARE 19 AND 15. I WOULD NOT BRING A child. Afterall it is rated PG-13. I don't understand why people do not take this rating seriously and bring little kids. Definitely the subject matter or some of it IS VERY SERIOUS>

I thought Colin Farrell was great and the little girl who played his daughter was excellent as well. Emma Thompson was very good as well. Tom Hanks seemed like Tom Hanks playing Walt Disney.

This movie was an unexpected surprise to me. Very moving.

I absolutely loved the movie and actually cried. I watched the movie with my parents, my older brother, and his girlfriend, whom are both 21. I'm 16 and I thought that is was an experience any kid my age should have. The darker moments are what really push you to realize the phenomenon of not only Mary Poppins but Disney itself. Take the rating seriously. NO CHDREN! Even if they're 13+ make sure they are mature enough to fully understand what the situation was/is. Other than that I highly recommend it to everyone!

Honestly - I have never ever been so excited for a movie. Mary is by far my absolute favorite movie - since im 3 years old - and the combination of the movies premise, the actors, the fact that its Disney, and that its out around Christmas time is super exciting to me.

Fyi - I love mary so much that when I met julie andrews at a book signing 3 years ago, I broke down in tears and could hardly breathe. I was in the presence of an icon!

I right there with you. But I've never met Julie Andrews. I have cried though seeing the "Mary" in WDW.
Just saw saving Mr Banks tonight. WOW:thumbsup2. I now have a favorite movie about my favorite movie. I teared up about at least 4 times during the movie. And I thought Tom Hanks was perfection as was Emma Thompson.

I took three 70+ relative who are big Walt, Mary Poppins, Emma Thompson, and Tom Hanks fans, as well as DH in his 50s and DS 18. It was a great movie choice for this extended family group. It was my Christmas present to the older relatives too. // The Disneyland - Walt connection is what will probably get people in to see the movie (that was the draw for me), but it's definitely a P.J. Travers (Emma Thompson movie) for sure. // I don't see this being a big hit, but I do see it doing well. We all certainly enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well done, and Emma Thompson was exceptional.

I just did a google search and it has done well:

Another Disney feature hasn't done as well as Frozen but it warmed my heart: Saving Mr. Banks with Tom Hanks as Walt Disney and Emma Thompson as P.L. Travers, author of Mary Poppins, a book that will soon celebrate its 50th anniversary.

It will be interesting to see how Disney leverages that anniversary into more revenue for the company and its shareholders.

Saving Mr. Banks earned $9 million last week weekend, bringing the feature, which cost Disney about $35 million to make, a total box office take so far of $59 million in the U.S. and $66 million worldwide. Thus, Disney has recouped the cost of making the picture plus grossed an additional $31 million.

Just saw this movie last night and absolutely loved it!! It was me, dh, and our 25 year old son! Every one of us was impressed and I cried about 7 different times throughout! I loved it so much! Today I will be watching Mary Poppins...just because pixiedust:

So just how DOES crow taste, anyway? I've never eaten any.

Well! Here is your opportunity provided by IMDB. And don't even try to say they aren't major! 44 Nominations and 8 wins already!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2140373/awards

It is interesting to note that there was a general media outcry that there were not more Oscar nods, particularly for Emma.

Would you like some ketchup?

Saving Mr. Banks (2013)
Awards

Showing all 8 wins and 44 nominations (I did not copy and paste all of them. You can see the rest at the link.)

Academy Awards, USA 2014

Nominated
Oscar
Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Thomas Newman

Golden Globes, USA 2014

Nominated
Golden Globe
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Emma Thompson

BAFTA Awards 2014

Nominated
Alexander Korda Award for Best British Film
John Lee Hancock
Alison Owen
Ian Collie
Philip Steuer
Kelly Marcel
Sue Smith
Nominated
Anthony Asquith Award for Film Music
Thomas Newman
Nominated
BAFTA Film Award
Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer
Kelly Marcel
Best Leading Actress
Emma Thompson
Best Costume Design
Daniel Orlandi

Screen Actors Guild Awards 2014

Nominated
Actor
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Emma Thompson

AFI Awards, USA 2014

Nominated
AFI Award
Movie of the Year
Alison Owen
Ian Collie
Philip Steuer
SAVING MR. BANKS soars to the highest heights, elevating the memory of one of American film's most ... More
SAVING MR. BANKS soars to the highest heights, elevating the memory of one of American film's most celebrated stories. Magic leaps from the pages of Sue Smith and Kelly Marcel's script, as director John Lee Hancock brilliantly blends the story and the back story of MARY POPPINS' flight to the silver screen. Icons as icons, Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks spar deftly and delightfully as P.L. Travers and Walt Disney, beautifully embodying the struggle inherent in creating a character so deeply personal and then sharing it with the world. Like Poppins herself, the film is practically perfect in every way.

American Cinema Editors, USA 2014

Nominated
Eddie
Best Edited Feature Film - Dramatic
Mark Livolsi

Art Directors Guild 2014

Nominated
Excellence in Production Design Award
Period Film
Michael Corenblith

Australian Film Institute 2014

Nominated
AACTA International Award
Best Screenplay
Kelly Marcel
Sue Smith

Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards 2014

Nominated
Critics Choice Award
Best Picture
Best Actress
Emma Thompson
Best Costume Design
Daniel Orlandi
Best Score
Thomas Newman

Capri, Hollywood 2013

Won
Capri Audience Award
Nominated
Capri Movie of the Year Award

Central Ohio Film Critics Association 2014

Nominated
COFCA Award
Best Score
Thomas Newman

Costume Designers Guild Awards 2014

Nominated
CDG Award
Excellence in Period Film
Daniel Orlandi

Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Awards 2013

Nominated
DFWFCA Award
Best Actress
Emma Thompson

Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards 2013

Won
Sierra Award
Best Actress
Emma Thompson
Best Family Film
Nominated
Sierra Award
Best Picture

London Critics Circle Film Awards 2014

Nominated
ALFS Award
Supporting Actor of the Year
Tom Hanks
British Actress of the Year
Emma Thompson
For
Beautiful Creatures

Sometimes a more interesting movie can be made from a person or story that's not well known to the general public.

Ed Wood
The Social Network
Moneyball
127 Hours
Argo
The King's Speech
Goodfellas
Walk the Line
Ray

Absolutely true and most of these movies were extremely popular hits. There are also many more where movie makers took an unknown story and made a successful movie. This is obviously a good movie and a successful movie that has made a good profit. Everyone loves Mary Poppins - one of the most beloved films of all times. Except of course the Disney haters and trolls.

I looked up the meaning of supernova: It is a large explosion of noise and light that has no appreciable impact on real life here on planet earth.
:rolleyes1

Golden Globes don't count. They are a wasted awards show. And by 'wasted' I mean basically everyone shows up and just gets wasted. What other viable show allows you to stagger onto the stage holding a drink, or walk with your shoes in your hand (very class, Emma).

However, my post wasn't about silly awards. It was back to my original post of, who the heck is this movie target at? Critics might have been impressed by some British broad playing another British broad that no one outside of Britain has ever heard of. Not much love for Hanks, although I think he would have played a more convincing Travers than he did Disney. But basically you gave me a list of nominations and a few wins for Thompson which, let's face it, wasn't exactly a great stretch for her to play. Hanks doing a Southern accent? He didn't deserve to win a thing. As someone else mentioned, it was Tom Hanks playing Tom Hanks playing Walt Disney.

So while random awards might have given the nod to Thompson for the lack of any other British woman to nominate, the general public didn't flock to this one. Disney fans, sure. But the subject matter wasn't solid enough to draw mass appeal. Hold the ketchup, thanks.

A film that's going to make 85 million stateside and another 25-30 million internationally on a 35 million dollar budget and it held little appeal, ok.

A film that's going to make 85 million stateside and another 25-30 million internationally on a 35 million dollar budget and it held little appeal, ok.

8 million US Disney fans can't be wrong. Especially at $10 a ticket, I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter