Saving Mr. Banks

8 million US Disney fans can't be wrong. Especially at $10 a ticket, I guess.

In the world of movies not everything needs to be a $500 million dollar mega blockbuster.

A movie that is going to close around $100 million worldwide for a $35 million investment is a hit. And as far as this style of pic, it is a pretty big hit.

BTW it was you who quoted Jafar30 about it being up for major awards and said he was eating crow.

You were wrong. But of course you will minimize all the major awards as nothing because the facts don't fit with your paradigm. You never quoted him either, did you? In fact you aren't even in this discussion, are you? :lmao:

Bottom line: In any reasonable person who knows about movies, Saving Mr Banks is very successful movie.

It made a large profit, received critical acclaim, and won lots of awards.

It made a large profit, received critical acclaim, and won lots of awards.

This coming from the same guy who put together a lengthy posting showing that the film did NOT win a lot of awards. It won a couple of random awards. Nominated for a bunch, but didn't win many.

This coming from the same guy who put together a lengthy posting showing that the film did NOT win a lot of awards. It won a couple of random awards. Nominated for a bunch, but didn't win many.

It was STILL a FANTASTIC movie! Did you even see it supernova?? Goodness this is a lot of negative fuss over what is supposed to be just an enjoyable film. I am not a movie critic. Just your average gal...BUT I have seen enough films in my time to say what merits praise and what doesn't. This my man was really well done!! You should view it and then make an educated decision for yourself!:flower3: I am merely defending the movie...it was that good.

I did see it. For three bucks at home on DVD. I wanted to like the move. Seriously, I did. I usually like the behind the scenes stuff. I just didn't think this 'story' could hold up as an entire film. Which it didn't, so the film makers had to take some liberties to make it more of a movie. Disney never even took Travers to the park, from what I understand. The biggest issue I had with the film was Hanks. I can't stand the guy, so I knew going in that it was going to be rough. But he did a terrible job at playing Disney. There are lots and lots and lots of videos out there of Walt hosting TV shows, giving press conferences, etc. So what was with the southern accent? Surely an actor like Hanks knows to do a bit of research on the character he's going to portray. Outside of growing a moustache, I just didn't get the feeling that he had an idea of the man he was supposed to be playing. I couldn't buy it at all.

The biggest issue I had with the film was Hanks. I can't stand the guy, so I knew going in that it was going to be rough. But he did a terrible job at playing Disney. There are lots and lots and lots of videos out there of Walt hosting TV shows, giving press conferences, etc. So what was with the southern accent? Surely an actor like Hanks knows to do a bit of research on the character he's going to portray. Outside of growing a moustache, I just didn't get the feeling that he had an idea of the man he was supposed to be playing. I couldn't buy it at all.

LOL!! That I couldn't agree with more! I know this probably sounds silly but I kept thinking "His face needs to be thinner and not so puffy." Also, "Why aren't his eyes twinkling and his voice more jovial like he's really enjoying himself?"

BUT, still think it was awesome ;)

I did see it. For three bucks at home on DVD. I wanted to like the move. Seriously, I did. I usually like the behind the scenes stuff. I just didn't think this 'story' could hold up as an entire film. Which it didn't, so the film makers had to take some liberties to make it more of a movie. Disney never even took Travers to the park, from what I understand. The biggest issue I had with the film was Hanks. I can't stand the guy, so I knew going in that it was going to be rough. But he did a terrible job at playing Disney. There are lots and lots and lots of videos out there of Walt hosting TV shows, giving press conferences, etc. So what was with the southern accent? Surely an actor like Hanks knows to do a bit of research on the character he's going to portray. Outside of growing a moustache, I just didn't get the feeling that he had an idea of the man he was supposed to be playing. I couldn't buy it at all.

LOL!! That I couldn't agree with more! I know this probably sounds silly but I kept thinking "His face needs to be thinner and not so puffy." Also, "Why aren't his eyes twinkling and his voice more jovial like he's really enjoying himself?"

Hahaha! Perception is everything! I don't think there is another actor on the entire planet could play Disney as well. I thought he was perfect. It isn't about looking exactly like him, it is about portraying him. It doesn't hurt that they picked one of the most loved actors to play one of the most loved people in recent American history. Hanks. was. perfect.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I feel guilty. I am always happy :yay:and your always sad. :sick: Sorry. We like what we like, to each his own.

Hahaha! Perception is everything! I don't think there is another actor on the entire planet could play Disney as well. I thought he was perfect. It isn't about looking exactly like him, it is about portraying him. It doesn't hurt that they picked one of the most loved actors to play one of the most loved people in recent American history. Hanks. was. perfect.

You're right on the look, although to me, this was more a role worthy of growing a moustache and not dropping a bunch of weight for. You read about actors who really get into their roles and either balloon up or drop tons of weight to fit the part. I guess they were going for the older Disney when he started getting a little pudgy. I wasn't annoyed with the look so much as the voice. Disney was from the Midwest, not the south. There was no reason to play him off as a hick. Again, for what some might call a talented actor (I legitimately still have no time for that guy), I cannot believe he couldn't come up with a better voice to use. There is a lot of footage to which he could have referred.

supernova said:
You're right on the look, although to me, this was more a role worthy of growing a moustache and not dropping a bunch of weight for. You read about actors who really get into their roles and either balloon up or drop tons of weight to fit the part. I guess they were going for the older Disney when he started getting a little pudgy. I wasn't annoyed with the look so much as the voice. Disney was from the Midwest, not the south. There was no reason to play him off as a hick. Again, for what some might call a talented actor (I legitimately still have no time for that guy), I cannot believe he couldn't come up with a better voice to use. There is a lot of footage to which he could have referred.

I think it was a wise decision to skip the voice. I am old enough to remember watching the Wonderful World of Disney on TV in reruns. He had a wonderful voice that many of us love. To attempt it and get it anything other than perfect would have ruined it for me. Better not to even try. I cannot stand a new peanuts cartoon when they don't get the voices right. That is not the character any more. I was able to accept a different voice and face as long as I bought the character as a whole.

Crossing all fingers and toes for Maleficent

I think it was a wise decision to skip the voice. I am old enough to remember watching the Wonderful World of Disney on TV in reruns. He had a wonderful voice that many of us love. To attempt it and get it anything other than perfect would have ruined it for me. Better not to even try. I cannot stand a new peanuts cartoon when they don't get the voices right. That is not the character any more. I was able to accept a different voice and face as long as I bought the character as a whole.

If Hanks were playing, say, George Washington, then the voice wouldn't matter. We have no idea what he sounded like. But why go to a director and say, "You know what? I think Walt Disney should sound like a Southerner" and allow him to get away with it? That wasn't even sloppiness on Hanks' part. That was laziness. Which would be the eight and ninth dwarves, I suppose.

If Hanks were playing, say, George Washington, then the voice wouldn't matter. We have no idea what he sounded like. But why go to a director and say, "You know what? I think Walt Disney should sound like a Southerner" and allow him to get away with it? That wasn't even sloppiness on Hanks' part. That was laziness. Which would be the eight and ninth dwarves, I suppose.

Oh, okay, you're saying that he did do a voice and it was southern. I didn't pick up on that. I just thought it was Tom Hanks normal ordinary voice nor did I get that it was southern.

But because I just heard it as normal Tom Hanks, it did not distract me at all. If you perceived a southern accent being done by the actor, I could see how that can be irritating. There have been other movies where I could tell an actor was "attempting" an accent and it did not work. Boy that really drives you nuts! It is so hard to get around! There have been movies that were completely ruined by nothing more than a bad accent!

Sloppy and Lazy! There has to be a few more! :)

I loved this movie so much, I loved spotting the disney easter eggs around (posters, plushies etc) and I loved the story set in australia it made me cry when Travers father died and then again in the movie when mr banks walks off and she was crying. :'(

I am 16 and visited the film with 8 other people my age and most loved it but some found it boring or didnt get the flashbacks.

I have amazon pre ordered it. :)

While visiting my sister and her family yesterday, I read a review of the movie in her local paper. It started off with... "Have you ever wondered about the real story behind 'Mary Poppins'? No, me either." It then went on to say that, "While Emma Thompson was convincing in her role as PL Travers, Tom Hanks played a watered down version of Walt Disney - perhaps Mr. Hanks has never actually heard of Mr. Disney before taking on this role." Couldn't have put it better myself.

Personally I was just thrilled to see Sarah from Brothers and Sisters as the great MP herself! :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter