Salute tickets 2023 who needs to be present

I find the Disney CMs (or maybe it is Disney policy) try to treat service people well. Which makes me happy. I did see someone turned away when they arrived with Military Discount Tickets but did not have the service member or the spouse with them. By turned away, I mean sent to the Service Desk, but the CM was very clear the passes were meant for people "accompanied" by service members - I think she actually said, you cannot "leave the service person behind" which I found an appropriate phrase, but went over their heads. At that point I wondered about them myself ;)

It's not standard procedure so I wouldn't plan on it. Sounds like you got a bit of pixie dust.
I’m not telling family it’s even a possibility. I just told them to expect the chance of being able to apply them to future is up to cast member discretion.

I’m not telling family it’s even a possibility. I just told them to expect the chance of being able to apply them to future is up to cast member discretion.
I would make a phone call and ask if policy has been changed…. That’s just me. I paid for the tickets so I was trying to apply the credit to annual pass voucher. Worse they can do is say no.

I would make a phone call and ask if policy has been changed…. That’s just me. I paid for the tickets so I was trying to apply the credit to annual pass voucher. Worse they can do is say no.
Can I ask what ticket location you went to when you did it? We have to go in person to activate my dads ticket with the service member anyway so we will see what options we have with the other tickets at that time. Gift card would obviously be the best case scenario, I just don’t want to tell my step mom that and then her be upset if they won’t do it. Frankly I have no idea when they would be able to go again and I’m not sure if my dad will want to fork over the money to upgrade their tickets without them knowing a future travel date.

Ticket credits carry forward indefinitely. I would not upgrade if they aren't sure of future dates, only because pricing is date-dependent and December tickets cost a lot more than say August.

The unused ticket can be transferred to another person -- if you/your family may go again, the ticket(s) can be transferred to you/your party. You will then own the credit to use towards your own future tickets (and you can settle-up with whomever paid for the current tickets).

Ticket credits carry forward indefinitely. I would not upgrade if they aren't sure of future dates, only because pricing is date-dependent and December tickets cost a lot more than say August.

The unused ticket can be transferred to another person -- if you/your family may go again, the ticket(s) can be transferred to you/your party. You will then own the credit to use towards your own future tickets (and you can settle-up with whomever paid for the current tickets).
I may be incorrect since I’m not very familiar with the military tickets but the wdw website says they expire 12/15/23. To be able to avoid that expiration, they have to be upgraded.

My family are annual passholders so transferring to us doesn’t help either.

I find the Disney CMs (or maybe it is Disney policy) try to treat service people well. Which makes me happy. I did see someone turned away when they arrived with Military Discount Tickets but did not have the service member or the spouse with them. By turned away, I mean sent to the Service Desk, but the CM was very clear the passes were meant for people "accompanied" by service members - I think she actually said, you cannot "leave the service person behind" which I found an appropriate phrase, but went over their heads. At that point I wondered about them myself ;)
Lol...do you mean when they went to activate them they didn't have the service member or spouse with them (no military id?)

As far as leaving the service member behind...you certainly can. - I'm thinking you must have meant or spouse. My service member dh never comes on our trips. Even so though; this is only true when you go to activate the tickets, if you haven't bought pre-activated tix. Once the tix are activated ppl. can come and go as they please at the parks. They do not have to be attched to each other.

I may be incorrect since I’m not very familiar with the military tickets but the wdw website says they expire 12/15/23. To be able to avoid that expiration, they have to be upgraded.

My family are annual passholders so transferring to us doesn’t help either.
No, once the tickets expire the credit will carry forward indefinitely. You do not need to change/upgrade prior to the expiration date. The tickets may "disappear" from view in MDE which is why it's advised to make note of ticket numbers and values, but WDW ticket CMs can see the credit. I believe you can use the credit towards AP renewal.

Lol...do you mean when they went to activate them they didn't have the service member or spouse with them (no military id?)

As far as leaving the service member behind...you certainly can. - I'm thinking you must have meant or spouse. My service member dh never comes on our trips. Even so though; this is only true when you go to activate the tickets, if you haven't bought pre-activated tix. Once the tix are activated ppl. can come and go as they please at the parks. They do not have to be attched to each other.
Sorry, of course, the spouse (with their ID) can also get ticket holders in. It was my understanding the FIRST time the park is entered on any military tickets, the service member or spouse MUST be present? I did not think tickets could be activated in advance of arriving at the first Park?

Sorry, of course, the spouse (with their ID) can also get ticket holders in. It was my understanding the FIRST time the park is entered on any military tickets, the service member or spouse MUST be present? I did not think tickets could be activated in advance of arriving at the first Park?
Oh no, you actually cannot activate them at the gate/when entering a park at WDW. Having said that; that is exactly how it works at Dland, so maybe you were thinking that. At WDW you have activate them with the military member/spouse at guest services, either in Disney Springs or guest services outside each park. Once they are activated each person can go wherever and to whatever park they want. They will not need to be with the military member/spouse nor does the member/spouse need their id to enter the park.

Ideally folks would always want to activate beforw their first park day if possible just to save time on a park day. If you order from Shades of Green you don't have to worry about this at all as the tix come activated already.

No, once the tickets expire the credit will carry forward indefinitely. You do not need to change/upgrade prior to the expiration date. The tickets may "disappear" from view in MDE which is why it's advised to make note of ticket numbers and values, but WDW ticket CMs can see the credit. I believe you can use the credit towards AP renewal.

I don't believe this is the case for Salute tickets, specifically. They very clearly state that the tickets and all entitlements expire fully on the expiration date, and cannot be extended.

I don't believe this is the case for Salute tickets, specifically. They very clearly state that the tickets and all entitlements expire fully on the expiration date, and cannot be extended.
Correct, the ticket and all entitlements becomes null and void. To my knowledge, the value of the ticket (for Salute tickets that is the price paid) carries forward. It cannot be used towards a new Salute ticket (assuming 2024 offering) because WDW does not sell that ticket directly, but it should be able to be turned into a regular WDW Theme Park Ticket.

OP - you (or your step-dad) may want to call to confirm the credit can be used towards a new ticket anytime or only before Dec. 15th. If you do need to upgrade Salute before expiration, just do it for any similar-priced regular ticket because that definitely will carry the credit forward after expiration.

Can I ask what ticket location you went to when you did it? We have to go in person to activate my dads ticket with the service member anyway so we will see what options we have with the other tickets at that time. Gift card would obviously be the best case scenario, I just don’t want to tell my step mom that and then her be upset if they won’t do it. Frankly I have no idea when they would be able to go again and I’m not sure if my dad will want to fork over the money to upgrade their tickets without them knowing a future travel date.
I went to guest services at the entrance to MK. The cast member (Reggie) was very knowledgeable and great to talk to. Disney will end up with the money anyway they handle it… happy guests spend more money

I wanted to report back that guest services did give us a gift card option so we took that since it offered the greatest flexibility. We did not ask for it, I just explained the situation and asked what our options were. I will also add they scanned my band and reviewed my account before presenting any option so it may differ from person to person.

The military member also activated my dads ticket before we even arrived in Disney so apparently they wouldn’t really have needed to be present (at least with that cast member, not speaking to any official policy that may state otherwise)

I am so confused now. I wanted t buy Salute tickets and was told that the military member had to fall under category of “disabled”. They told me that all I could get was a Magic Your Way ticket. On the Shades of Green website I don’t see a Salute ticket for a military retiree or the word disabled. I do see in capital letters “eligibility requirements”. Anyone out there able to straighten Up my thinking? Thanks

I am so confused now. I wanted t buy Salute tickets and was told that the military member had to fall under category of “disabled”. They told me that all I could get was a Magic Your Way ticket. On the Shades of Green website I don’t see a Salute ticket for a military retiree or the word disabled. I do see in capital letters “eligibility requirements”. Anyone out there able to straighten Up my thinking? Thanks
I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but military retirees are eligible for the Salute ticket (we just used them in June, and DH retired in 2021).

This link will maybe help clear up your question
https://www.militarydisneytips.com/...o-participate-in-disneys-armed-forces-salute/

I wanted t buy Salute tickets and was told that the military member had to fall under category of “disabled”. They told me that all I could get was a Magic Your Way ticket. On the Shades of Green website I don’t see a Salute ticket for a military retiree or the word disabled. I do see in capital letters “eligibility requirements”.
Does your military member fit the "eligibility requirements" as listed? Just a clarification... "retiree" is a very specific designation, someone who made a career of serving in the military (maybe 30+ years) and formally retires. It is not the same as a "veteran" who served for a period of time and was honorably discharged. If your military person is a veteran but not retired from the military, they are not eligible for Salute tickets unless they are disabled.

Does your military member fit the "eligibility requirements" as listed? Just a clarification... "retiree" is a very specific designation, someone who made a career of serving in the military (maybe 30+ years) and formally retires. It is not the same as a "veteran" who served for a period of time and was honorably discharged. If your military person is a veteran but not retired from the military, they are not eligible for Salute tickets unless they are disabled.
My husband served 31 years in the military then retired.

My husband served 31 years in the military then retired.
Then he should qualify to purchase Salute tickets. It's a maximum of 6 per year (so if he bought some earlier in the year that counts towards the max), and I think they are only available as 4-day tickets (maybe? check that). If you need longer tickets or have a larger party you can buy MYW tickets that are slightly discounted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter