salad mix across border?

CdnMom2

DIS Veteran
Search function is down again. Does anyone know if I can take our Salad Mix (made in California! but has been opened) across the border this weekend on our quick trip to weekend camping at Darien Lake.

Can't remember if was just fresh fruit that can't go or is it also fresh veggies?

Thanks! I ended up on endless time-wasting loops on the web searching for the info. You guys always know...

I found this quote at a USDA site:
Fruits and vegetables not grown in Canada cannot be brought from Canada into the United States. If there is doubt as to the origin of the material, the Department of Treasury's U.S. Customs Service or APHIS' PPQ officers will seize it at the border. This material includes but is not limited to tropical and subtropical fruits, such as citrus, mangoes, lychee, and melons. In addition, temperate fruits, such as Japanese oriental pears, grapes, plums, apples, and peaches, that are brought across the border out of season are prohibited because their origin is most likely from a country other than Canada.

I hope that helps!

I did see something like that on a site. Still wondering if that includes my 2 lb bag of Salad Mix that is not from Canada -- it's imported from the U.S.A!! Only strange fruit fly embryos still possibly surviving in the washed & once vacuum-packed bag would be their own home-grown California ones. LOL!

We'll see how I feel in the morning -- do I want to risk a pull-over & seizure & search or just leave it here to the mercy of my fridge and buy some fresh veggies there. I mean no prob if they just take it and toss it and laugh at me. I just don't want any delays at the border!

We drive across frequently with a cooler. We're up front with the Customs people and have not had any problems. There's only one time in 2000 when we were sent in to show some inspector some apples and oranges we'd told the customs agent about - they weren't interested in the tomatoes and lettuce that was also in the car with us. The people inside just nodded and said we were good to go. Worst case, you have to dump it.

I asked once at the border because I was bringing over a sandwich which had meat and lettuce, as well as some veggies to munch. I had to go over the border to work and didn't know where I was going to be able to get something to eat. They don't like you taking apples over, but he said (now this was one person I talked to) that cut up veggies they weren't too worried about. The one time we had apples they just took them off of us. The oranges were from Florida and they didn't worry about them.
tigercat

I left the Salad Mix here, ate our pears at the Duty Free before crossing border & forgot about the 2 strawberries we couldn't stuff down at breakfast sitting in a container right on the dashboard! Everything was fine. Next time I'll bring the Mix now that I've received your posts. And yes, there will be a Next Time.

I really recommend Darien Lake for a quick, cheap family get-away. MUCH cheaper than Wonderland for us during these special Canadian weekends. And truly enjoyed it more. Kids loved staying in an RV and was a cheaper experience than FW ones (although not as nice as those, but we were very happy especially with the wet, cold weather we had this past weekend).

Now, this is NO WDW, but for that long saving-up time in between it was great!

http://smsworld.sftp.com/smsworld/canadabb.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter