???s About ABD - Costa Rica

lilyteen

Life is one, big adventure!
Hello! I am new to these DIS forums. Our family just got back from another trip to WDW Orlando last week. Yes, like many of you on this site, I am already in the early planning stages of our next family excursion. Can anyone who has done the Costa Rica trip tell me whether you encountered any problems with crime? I read several articles which mention pickpockets and crime being a problem, particularly in and around San Jose. I also read that the roads can be treacherous at times and medical care is lacking. Can anyone suggest the best (dry) time to plan for this trip? Our family unit consists of younger kids (9, 9, 10) and teens (15, 14) and also an elderly (66). Do you think this will be OK for the older and younger members of our family? I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been on the tour. I am looking at potentially an April 2010 trip, so would be delighted to hear tips or info that anyone may have. Thanks in advance!

Our family went on the Costa Rica trip last year in April and had a great time. The hotel in San Jose was in a nice area and we didn't hear or see anything that worried us about crime. And during the trip, while the roads may have been narrow, those riding in the bus didn't notice it that much. The drivers were very professional and took the appropriate cautions. And as for the time of year, April was great. We didn't encounter any bad weather and the beach was wonderful. I hope you guys have a wonderful time, and if you have Rae or Gaston as a guide, tell them that the Capps family says hello.

I forgot to talk about the younger/older thing. When we went last year, we had a 5-year old and he had a great time. While he wasn't allowed to do the zip lines, he did everything else (including the white-water rafting) and loved it all. I also know that we had some people in the 60's on the trip and even they joined us on the zip-lines and white-water rafting. And if there is something they feel that would not want to do, the guides can arrange for an alternate activity. For example, while we were doing the zip lines, one of our guides took a couple of younger kids (including mine) on a nature walk. I hope this all helps and I hope you have a great time down there.

Monydave, thanks so much for the quick and informative reply. I really appreciate the info. It's nice to know that we should all be able to participate. I just now have to wait until the new itineraries come out in August before making any plans. I am sure hoping that the one I select is not cancelled for any reason.

You're only in San Jose one night and there was no issue. Honestly you will probably be tired from the travel that you will want to rest up for the real adventures! There is good security and the guides & hotel staff is awesome about taking care of you. In some parts the roads are a bit dicey, but the drivers are professionals and know what their doing. In our group there were 12 kids between 5-12, 3 teens, 1 collegiate, and the parents in their 30-40s. I'm 33, my mom is 56 and did great, and there was a couple in their later 60s and they had a blast, everyone was able to partake in the activities.

I definately recommend this trip, it was the best trip I had ever taken. The activities are fantastic and they have down time built in to relax. Our guides, Mike and Ronald, were fabulous and the food is amazing. The rain is typically pretty localized and doesn't last long. We had perfect weather and even saw lava flow. If you are leaning towards this trip definately do it, I want to go back again, the people there are really great.

I agree with the previous post. Do not worry about San Jose as it is only an arriving and meeting destination. This trip was one of the best overall our family has taken. All those in your age groups will enjoy it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter