• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rushed experience at California Grill

Ross Kratter

DIS Veteran
My girlfriend and I went to California Grill tonight in celebration of her birthday.
Let me preface this by saying that we have dined there several times before, but not since the prix fixe menu for the 50th was introduced. We always had excellent service previously.
We felt as though our server, Abdel, was trying to rush us out of the restaurant. His service was quite impersonal and, frankly, impatient.
Appetizers came out within just a couple of minutes of us ordering them, and almost as soon as we finished the appetizers, our entrees came out. We had to ask the server to please allow us a few minutes to digest before bringing the dessert out.
Not long after the dessert came out, the server brought the check. He even tried to take the check to process payment before I had even put my card in the jacket.
I am not sure if this is an across-the-board initiative with the implementation of the prix fixe menu, or if we just had a bad server, but as I mentioned previously, I have had nothing but the best service at California Grill in the past. I will say that the food was stellar as always, but the rushed, impersonal service really rubbed us the wrong way, especially since we were celebrating my girlfriend’s birthday.

Sounds like an inept server to me. That level of (dis)service is most unusual for Cali Grill, I agree.

Like you, we've dined there several times, most recently in November. We enjoyed the prix fixe menu, though not as much as the a la carte one.

You don't indicate you spoke with the restaurant manager. If you did not, please be sure to contact guest services before leaving WDW. They are quick to respond to such missteps--or perhaps I should say have been in the past. So many solidly Disney CMs at various levels are no longer with the company. Anyway, give them a description of your experience much as you did here and hope it'll be dealt with as is traditional for Disney.

And when you go there next, ask for Beckey from Guantanamo, Cuba. Waiting for one of her tables will be worth the wait.

Sounds like an inept server to me. That level of (dis)service is most unusual for Cali Grill, I agree.

Like you, we've dined there several times, most recently in November. We enjoyed the prix fixe menu, though not as much as the a la carte one.

You don't indicate you spoke with the restaurant manager. If you did not, please be sure to contact guest services before leaving WDW. They are quick to respond to such missteps--or perhaps I should say have been in the past. So many solidly Disney CMs at various levels are no longer with the company. Anyway, give them a description of your experience much as you did here and hope it'll be dealt with as is traditional for Disney.

And when you go there next, ask for Beckey from Guantanamo, Cuba. Waiting for one of her tables will be worth the wait.
No, we did not speak with the manager. I don’t blame the server for wanting to turn tables, but holy cow, did we feel rushed. We are locals and dine at Disney Signature restaurants very often. Never have we had such rushed service. Anyway, perhaps I will contact Guest Services so that they can be aware of the issue with this guy. Thanks.

This server sounds like a dream come true for me and my husband. The rate we eat is up to us and when we finish something the next thing came. I would rather this than wait around looking like a lost puppy for our waiter for the next part of the meal or check. Unless they were over lapping food I don't see an issue with this. Even if you wanna "digest" the food won get cold waiting a few min.

Idk guess 2 different eating styles and this one didn't fit what you enjoy.

I might agree, Meglen, that this is merely an issue of different dining styles if not for this: "We had to ask the server to please allow us a few minutes to digest before bringing the dessert out."

A competent server would have immediately realized they were rushing the diners, apologized and cooperated. A good, aware server would have sensed earlier that this was a couple needing more time to enjoy each course, which would be especially so had they mentioned celebrating a birthday.

That this server had to be told they wished more time with their entrees suggests to me someone needing more training, perhaps also more experience--ultimately maybe someone ill-suited to their role. That's why I asked if the OP spoke to the manager, who needs to know these Cali Grill regulars felt badly served.

I might agree, Meglen, that this is merely an issue of different dining styles if not for this: "We had to ask the server to please allow us a few minutes to digest before bringing the dessert out."

A competent server would have immediately realized they were rushing the diners, apologized and cooperated. A good, aware server would have sensed earlier that this was a couple needing more time to enjoy each course, which would be especially so had they mentioned celebrating a birthday.

That this server had to be told they wished more time with their entrees suggests to me someone needing more training, perhaps also more experience--ultimately maybe someone ill-suited to their role. That's why I asked if the OP spoke to the manager, who needs to know these Cali Grill regulars felt badly served.
I think we took that line different and I can see how you are right if this is what happened. I took it as they went with the flow and finally had enough and spoke up after the entree. In this case how would the server know they were feeling rushed. The check being fast is always a plus for me. I would hope they said "there is no rush take your time" but I dont think this waiter did.

I think we took that line different and I can see how you are right if this is what happened. I took it as they went with the flow and finally had enough and spoke up after the entree. In this case how would the server know they were feeling rushed. The check being fast is always a plus for me. I would hope they said "there is no rush take your time" but I dont think this waiter did.
He was ready to take the check long before I had even put my card into the jacket, as I mentioned. This was not service typical of a fine dining establishment.

He was ready to take the check long before I had even put my card into the jacket, as I mentioned. This was not service typical of a fine dining establishment.
It sucks you paid all that money and had a bad time. Did they seem full? or was it late? either way this waiter seemed to have no observation skills.

My girlfriend and I went to California Grill tonight in celebration of her birthday.
Let me preface this by saying that we have dined there several times before, but not since the prix fixe menu for the 50th was introduced. We always had excellent service previously.
We felt as though our server, Abdel, was trying to rush us out of the restaurant. His service was quite impersonal and, frankly, impatient.
Appetizers came out within just a couple of minutes of us ordering them, and almost as soon as we finished the appetizers, our entrees came out. We had to ask the server to please allow us a few minutes to digest before bringing the dessert out.
Not long after the dessert came out, the server brought the check. He even tried to take the check to process payment before I had even put my card in the jacket.
I am not sure if this is an across-the-board initiative with the implementation of the prix fixe menu, or if we just had a bad server, but as I mentioned previously, I have had nothing but the best service at California Grill in the past. I will say that the food was stellar as always, but the rushed, impersonal service really rubbed us the wrong way, especially since we were celebrating my girlfriend’s birthday.
So sorry about this. As someone who has worked in restaurants, (NYC TIMES SQUARE PRE-FIXE), pre-fixe is designed to serve as many customers as possible in a short period of time or to attract people during off hours like Epcot has done for lunch. However, unfortunately, this is how Pre-fixe works on a Saturday night by the Broadway theaters and now at the California Grill. The menu is limited and the chefs do not make the items "made to order", instead they are making the meals on the menu all night like a buffet so your wait time is quicker. They want you in and out as fast as possible, hoping that you will get a wine or a brandy and take a stroll on the roof till the fireworks start, this will allow them to clear the table and serve another party. I am sorry that your meal was rushed for your special occasion. Thanks for the heads up because we are in the process now of making dining reservations for our vacation, if more reply with a similar experience, perhaps some will change their plans or management will see this and address it.

It certainly isn't typical of Cali Grill, although we've occasionally had servers who seemed less able to sense the pace we preferred than others.

Not that we want to tie up a table longer than is reasonable. We simply want sufficient time to savor excellent food and preferably have a server who understands and supports that wish.

Which is why I suggested asking for Beckey. She's been at Cali Grill for over 10 years and is highly efficient, aware and personable. She gives the impression there's little she enjoys more than seeing diners have a fabulous experience, particularly important for us with food allergies.

Appetizers came out within just a couple of minutes of us ordering them, and almost as soon as we finished the appetizers, our entrees came out.
Normally my gripe is that apps come out way long after I've ordered them and by that time my entrees are ready to go and then I don't want my food sitting there too long (note I'm talking about generally speaking of order apps and an entree at a restaurant)
We had to ask the server to please allow us a few minutes to digest before bringing the dessert out.
I think I may have worded it like "we're not ready for the dessert but we'll let you know when we are" For servers time can escape them. A few minutes may mean 2-3 mins, 5mins, etc. But if you're really wanting 10-15mins between finishing dinner and your dessert it may be best to just tell them you're not ready yet for the dessert rather than a more vague wanting a few mins for your food to digest. I know it's neither here nor there now but IMO a "we're not ready yet" is more firm, clear directive and puts the timeline back to you rather than the server trying to figure out just what "a few minutes to digest" means to you. To some people if it was 15mins later they'd be wondering if they had been forgotten lol.

Regardless nothing like souring the experience of a celebration than feeling like you aren't attended to in a moderate enough level (because no one wants to be rushed anymore than ignored).

That’s so disappointing. I’m sorry you were rushed on your special occasion. I had a similar experience there last September. One of those deals where the server comes along, as your mouth is full, and asks you if everything is ok, and before you can answer, is gone.

This server sounds like a dream come true for me and my husband. The rate we eat is up to us and when we finish something the next thing came. I would rather this than wait around looking like a lost puppy for our waiter for the next part of the meal or check. Unless they were over lapping food I don't see an issue with this. Even if you wanna "digest" the food won get cold waiting a few min.

Idk guess 2 different eating styles and this one didn't fit what you enjoy.

I’m the opposite in a restaurant like this. We dress up really nicely and a spend a good amount of money at CG. We get a expensive bottle of wine etc. The last thing I’d want to do is feel rushed through a dinner that is somewhat an experience.

Some people wanna eat and leave, which I would also during the day or other restaurants. Not for top signature restaurants at night for dinner.

Bringing out a check before asking a table if they want anything else or if they are finished is unprofessional imo. I absolutely would have brought it up to the manager, as they need to know if a server is doing that, to correct an issue and learn from it, not to get someone in trouble.

Sorry you experienced this. CA Grill is one of our favorite restaurants and we've been dining here for 20+ years by now. We haven't been since they've done the latest prix fixe menu, nor will we be till it returns to a la carte. But still - prix fixe does not mean bad service. Especially at that price level!

Sounds like a bad server. We have dined there multiple times pre and post the new Prix-Fixe menu. We dine slowly and enjoy the experience and have never felt rushed by the server. We have at Ohanas.
Agree with PP, Prix-Fixe has nothing to do with bad service. We have dined at several Michelin Star restaurants that are Prix-Fixe only.
I would have talked to the server and then the manager if needed.

Unfortunately on our last several visits to WDW we had the same experiences at multiple restaurants. Too many for it to be coincidence. Either the wait staff is being instructed to quickly turn over the tables, or they are doing it on their own to pump up their tips for the night.
The ultimate in rushed dining for us was dinner at Le Cellier. 35 minutes from the time we sat to the time the check came. It was so rushed that we got our entrees before they brought out our appetizers. I even stated flat out to the waitress that she was rushing us and to slow it down. She just gave me the "deer in the headlights" look and continued.
We also felt rushed on our recent dinners at Trattoria al Forno on the boardwalk and at the Jungle Navigation Co. Skipper Canteen in MK.
Fortunately there are ways to slow down the meal but I hate to have to play those games.

So sorry to hear about your terrible experiences. Luckily that has not been our experience. We were at Le Cellier about 2 years ago and had a wonderful experience. Not rushed at all. Hope that is not the new normal. we have never been at a Signature restaurant under 90 minutes (maybe we are slow).
We have dined at Le Cellier and Skippers Cantina and never felt rushed. maybe we play the game really well? Dining at a Signature restaurant, we expect to be there 90+ minutes.

Interesting that we had the exact same experience as original poster, the waiters name sounds familiar as well. We usually always have one dinner at California Grill each trip (1-2x/year) and before Prix fixe menu it was always excellent food and fantastic service. We raved about it to everyone! We did a birthday dinner for grandpa after Prix fixe menu was introduced and had the same bad experience, being rushed, food not as good as previously, and not a single acknowledgment of birthday. It was the actual birthday date, so I had mentioned in reservation, to host stand and to waiter about the birthday and nothing. We also had reservations during fireworks time and I had mentioned to the waiter that we would be watching the fireworks from the balcony as a family. (We’ve usually always done this) Upon returning to the table, the waiter came over to scold me that I made them wait and they had to remake our food - then we proceeded to wait and wait, our dishes then came out after a long wait (felt like we were being punished for taking time to watch fireworks)…lukewarm and definitely had been sitting out a long time (my fish was very dry). Never again, food was mediocre, service was worse and price much higher than before Prix fixe. We were so embarrassed as we’d been saying how great it was for years, but we learned our lesson - no more California grill until they remove the prix fixe. Hopefully then it will return to the great restaurant it used to be!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter