Running Down a Dream 2: It's All About the Swag

ScoJo15

There will be days when I don't know if I can run
Hello again everyone!! :wave:

Welcome to my new journal!!

When I last left my fellow WISHers, I had finished my quest to complete the WDW Marathon and was in limbo about where I should go or what I should pursue next. I mean, wow, it was a GREAT year...I dropped 30 pounds, completed many 5k and 10k races, finished the marathon, made some wonderful friends along the way and...dare I say...became a runner :). It was all a bit surreal and I had to take some time to figure out what was next in the cards. I managed to run a 5k, run a fast 10k that qualified me for a time seeded group in the Peachtree and complete a half marathon. Most recently I even did something I NEVER thought I'd be able to do....place 3rd in my age group at a 5k event! (and yes, there were more than 3 runners in my division) See...I have a photo to prove it...(that's me behind the massive award ;) )

DSC08437.jpg

What I have realized is that for some it's the challenge, for others it's the committment, for others the experience and for me...it's all about the swag!! I have tasted the fruits of swagness and display my two medals and one award proudly...but it's just not enough. I need to find the event that will reap the sweetest swagiriffic awards of all....yes...The Goofy Challenge :) Oh yes...I have the desire to hear the clanging around my neck as the weight of the medals guides my then hunchbacked self around WDW post marathon '08. :rotfl2:

So please join me on my quest, feel free to comment at will...and I can't wait to get out there and see where everyone else is on their personal journeys. Sorry for the long absence, but it's great to be back with all of my WISH friends.

Oh yeah...i now have a non-running related blog...feel free to check it out too (link is in the siggie!)...(sorry for the shameless plug)

Until next time....have a great day everyone!

Oh Scott.......you are such a medalwh....:rolleyes1 oh nevermind. Sorry. Not a proper greeting for my long lost marathon buddy! Besides....the swag is so very enticing. I'm all about the bling myself. ;)

An wow....THE most important and shocking thing is that YOU ARE BACK too :yay: . And...of all things....on the same day I slink back here to the dis after being AWOL for months. It's nice to see you journal again. I'm going to need all the running encouragement I can get as I train for goofy. It's SOOO cool that we get to train for the same event...wait eventS....again this year. :thumbsup2 . My running buddy is back. Life is good!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your 3rd place finish in the 5K. What was your time? Must have been speedy quick to place. Sadly I'm nowhere near placement times. A year of marathon training has left me with a slow pace....but hey, turtles are cool right??? So wow....you are going to need a trophy case soon. That's really truly awesome that you won something. Just think back to this time last year!!! Thanks for sharing the pic too...it's really nice to "see" you :).

So here we are. Deja vu all over again (God...why did I just say that...that saying annoys the cr@p out of me). Anyway....as Barry Gibb would say....

Welcome back Schcott....Itsch going to be an amasching journey!!! :rotfl:

Welcome Back, Scott!

Going Goofy, huh??

Hope life has been treating you VERY well!

Have an AWESOME rest of the week!

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah people!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

The man, the myth, the legend.......my co-inspirationalist (is that a word? :confused3 ). :laughing:

I'm BEYOND thrilled, Scott. Thank you for coming back. Need me some running buds again!! :woohoo:

Amy - LOVE the Barry Gibb impression. :rotfl: I was thinking the same thing last night.

I wish you well, my friend with the Goofy. You're gonna rock it like it's never been rocked before! (oh, and love the pic in your avatar :goodvibes )

Oh, and are you going for daddy/daughter trip #3 this fall?? :confused3

Welcome Back Scott!:goodvibes

It's great to see your new journal and to have you posting again. You're running the Goofy too? Great job, but just one question.... What is the Goofy? I mean I know who Goofy is and all, but what is the Goofy? Is it another marathon at WDW? I've seen other post about it, but I don't know exactly what it is....Does that make any sense? ;)

Are you doing free dining this year at WDW?

Welcome Back! Looking forward to cheering you on to VICTORY at the Goofy!:cheer2:

Welcome Back Scott!:goodvibes

It's great to see your new journal and to have you posting again. You're running the Goofy too? Great job, but just one question.... What is the Goofy? I mean I know who Goofy is and all, but what is the Goofy? Is it another marathon at WDW? I've seen other post about it, but I don't know exactly what it is....Does that make any sense? ;)

Are you doing free dining this year at WDW?

Welcome Back! Looking forward to cheering you on to VICTORY at the Goofy!:cheer2:

Thank you!! :goodvibes

First of all The Goofy is what they call running the Half Marathon on Saturday AND the Full Marathon on Sunday. You cover 39.3 miles over the course of two days and I feel that it's appropriately named :) I can't believe I've actually signed up for something so crazy! The cool thing is you get a half t-shirt, half medal, full t-shirt, full medal AND a goofy t-shirt and goofy medal :) Will need a separate suitcase to haul back the bling ;)

And since a couple of you have asked...I do not think that DD and I will be doing WDW this fall. We had a GREAT time the last two years but I think it's time for a break. It's tough cause I really love it down there during that time with the free dining, cheap rates and nonexistent crowd. It's a great bonding time for us...but I believe we'll be looking to take on something different. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for asking!!

Soooo...yeah....the training! I'm kind of just establishing and maintaining a base right now so that when it's time for serious half or full training, I'll be ready to take it on. I'm looking at running 15-20 miles per week....three runs, two XT sessions and 5 nights of ab work.

Today's run was pretty much a disaster :( First bad one I've had in a while, so I'm not sweating it. speaking of sweating, it's all I did for about an hour after finishing. I was totally unprepared for the 88 degree heat. Everything hit me just over three miles in...sweat was stinging my eyes, sun was beating down on me, a BFH was staring me in the face, i was very thirsty, was starting to get a bit light headed. I ended up scrapping the run just shy of 4 miles. I still managed to average 9:17 mpm, but it was just not pretty.

So the plan is to take a rest day tomorrow (XT if I really feel the need), do 30-40 min of XT on Saturday and then get out there for 6-8 miles on Sunday.

And oh yeah, nice to see you back too Amy ;) What an amazing coincidence that my favorite marathon buddy showed up on the same day to restart a journal...and that my favorite marathon buddy has also signed up for the Goofy Challenge. :rolleyes1 Coincidence? Fate? Destiny? Stay tuned readers.... ;)

Have a great night everyone...I'll check back in tomorrow:)

Hey, Scott! Glad to see you're back!! :woohoo:

It is always such an inspiration to check in on your amazing journey!!

Sounds like you've been having a great year so far! You're gonna do great in the Goofy!! :cheer2:

I, too, Love the pic in your avatar! You look so in your element!

Take care and keep us posted! Have a Great weekend!

Hey Scott :) ...

No worries on the bad run. Most of mine are bad LOL. :laughing: Just kidding. But we all have those days when the run isn't there.....I'm certain the heat had something to do with it. Just be careful out there....I've overdone it before in the heat and you really can't mess around with that!!! (stepping off soapbox) LOL!

Thanks for a beautiful description of the insanity that is "Goofy". What ARE we thinking? I'm pretty sure we lost a few thousand brain cells during the marathon which is the ONLY explanation for why either of us would even consider doing the goofy lol.

OMG...Locke...Jacob....good lord. Oh wait...right LOL. I'm *STILL* the only person that doesn't watch Lost LOL! :rolleyes: So should I watch the next episode? I'm sure it will be simple to figure out :rotfl: . OK Losties...I'll leave you to your conspiracy theories and intrigue. Once again I'm soooo alone at the perverbial water cooler ;).

And I forgot to mention it last time...but your avatar pic totally rocks!!! You runner you!!!! It's really awesome...nice action pic there!!!

So who's gonna' win Survivor? DWTS? Are you still a reality TV junkie? Yau kicked butt tonight :).

Again...no worries about the run. I'm sure you will totally kick butt on Sunday. Just take it easy in that heat ok?

OK, Scott. You're a freakin machine. I have SO much to learn from you, and yet you seem SO far ahead of me. :headache:

(little tangeant here) Even though I can't make it to WDW in January, I am hoping to keep running and building myself up through the summer, and start the 1/2 marathon training plan in September. Then at least I can start making my "long runs" actual long runs on the weekend. How's that sound? (end tangeant)

Sorry. That popped into my head & I wanted to "write" it down.

Anyway....you and Amy are what I need to push me back to where I was AND beyond. I'm sorry if that's more than you bargained for when you came back.

So enough about me. Have an AWESOME weekend and great long run!

Hey Scott :) ...
I'm pretty sure we lost a few thousand brain cells during the marathon which is the ONLY explanation for why either of us would even consider doing the goofy lol.

And I forgot to mention it last time...but your avatar pic totally rocks!!! You runner you!!!! It's really awesome...nice action pic there!!!

So who's gonna' win Survivor? DWTS? Are you still a reality TV junkie? Yau kicked butt tonight :).

:) I don't think it was the marathon that killed those brain cells!! Dear readers, stay tuned for the Amy & Scott training plan...tested and proven to work...complete with cross training, running and glasses of wine you can safely drink each night ;)

Thanks to all for the comments on the avatar pic. It's one of the only pics of me EVER that I've actually liked :) Can't remember which part of the course we were on when it was taken though...I guess that's the best kind of shot, when you don't know it's being taken ;) And yes...I'm still a HUGE reality TV junkie. I'm picking Dreamz to win Survivor and Apolo to win DWTS. Yau continues to amaze me! Can't believe how good he is during the challenges...and he's pretty intelligent too!

Kim - why can't you make it to WDW in January?? It will be cool to have you training for a 1/2 in the fall/winter as that will align with our training plans. We'll all be running long runs on Sundays!

Oh yeah...supposed to be talking about training here :rotfl:

Today I made it to the fitness center, boarded my friend Mr. Elliptical...wait...Mrs. Elliptical...LOL!! (sorry)...and knocked out 30 minutes. I was very pleased to see that I weighed in at 193. I've never been lower than 192 and to know that I'm on the cusp of achieving that again is pretty cool. The workout was a success. I even did a bunch of yard work afterwards that has to count for something :confused3

Tomorrow I'm gonna "long run"...a 6 miler (thank goodness for not being in a serious training mode...nice to go out for an easy 6 :) )

I also want to take the time to wish Amy and all the other moms a Happy Mothers Day! You gals all work hard and deserve a day of honor.

Until next time....be sure to check out my blog! (shameless plug...I'm desperate for attention LOL)

TTFN

:) Kim - why can't you make it to WDW in January?? It will be cool to have you training for a 1/2 in the fall/winter as that will align with our training plans. We'll all be running long runs on Sundays!

It's really a combination of un-sureness of where my job is going (or if I'll even have one in the next few months) and finances. We've had more than a few surprise events come up that we weren't planning on this year. And for me to shell out a few hundred dollars to run a race...it just seemed not right for this year.

I'm not saying it's not a remotely-remote possibility....but 2009 is looking better. :goodvibes

So, Dreamz, eh? :confused3 I haven't watched this past week's episode yet, but I don't know. I'm thinking Yao or Cassandra.

I agree with Apolo. I like him a LOT! :banana:

What did you think of The Amazing Race - All Stars? Once Rob & Amber were out, it lost it's pizzazz for me. :sad2:

Enjoy your "easy" 6 miler. :upsidedow

Thanks Scott....but "gals"...did you REALLY call us "gals" :lmao: . Ok...composing myself....ok. Seriously...thanks for the mommy day wishes.

CONGRATS on the weigh-in and, ummm, your quality time with "Mrs. Elliptical". Hmmm.... I think?! :worried:

Anyway....so you're picking Dreamz eh? I dunno...he's up there but Earl has my vote. As for DWTS...YES Apolo should win, must win, most definitely deserves the win.

As for the Scott & Amy...ummm Amy & Scott plan....yes....my plans always involve wine regardless of the endeavor....parties, dinners, and yes...running. Well...not during running. But this girl needs her occasional glass (or 2 ;) ) of wine! Which could be why I will never place in a race :rolleyes1 . Oh well!

Oh yes...btw enjoying your blog. I agree with you (mostly) LOL! No really....it's almost as if you've read my mind about a few issues. Thanks for posting the link (oh...yeah...and the shameless plugs didn't hurt).

Have a great weekend!!! Good luck on your 6 miler tomorrow!

It's really a combination of un-sureness of where my job is going (or if I'll even have one in the next few months) and finances. We've had more than a few surprise events come up that we weren't planning on this year. And for me to shell out a few hundred dollars to run a race...it just seemed not right for this year.

I'm not saying it's not a remotely-remote possibility....but 2009 is looking better. :goodvibes

What did you think of The Amazing Race - All Stars? Once Rob & Amber were out, it lost it's pizzazz for me. :sad2:

Totally understandable about WDW....same thing influenced my decision to scrap the dad/daughter trip. Any trip to WDW is $$ and sometimes it just doesn't work out. Here's hoping we'll all be long running anyway!!!

I'm with you on AR...was a HUGE fan of Rob and Ambuh and lost interest when they left....but I was really pulling for the beauty queens. NOT for their looks, but for their amazing competitiveness. Oh well...my fav team NEVER wins that darn thing.

shockingly i was pulling for the BQ's as well. Although...they still annoy me ;) .

Yeah...Rob and Amber did add pizazz...ITA....but I still enjoyed the show. I really only lost interest during the boring final episode. God...hope next season is a little more exciting. ESPECIALLY the finale! Geeze!

Ok, I just have to say, I can't believe you guys actually LIKED Rob and Amber!!! :eek: I REALLY Dislike Rob and was SUPER disappointed that they got invited back to take up space on another show!! I think there are other contestants that I would much rather have seen in their place. Just my opinion, but I was glad to see them gone.

I too was rooting for the beauty queens! I was sad for them to have come in first in so many legs and then to not make it on the last one. That would be hard.

K, enough ranting about TV.

Hope you have a GREAT run today!! Kick butt!! :cool1:

shockingly i was pulling for the BQ's as well. Although...they still annoy me ;) .

Yeah...Rob and Amber did add pizazz...ITA....but I still enjoyed the show. I really only lost interest during the boring final episode. God...hope next season is a little more exciting. ESPECIALLY the finale! Geeze!

Gotta agree about the finale. Nothing special at all. The one good thing was that Charla & Mirna did not win. Out of all the teams, I would have been really upset if they won. Loved Rob & Amber, but definitely liked the BQ's too. (great minds think alike. :goodvibes )

Thanks for understanding, guys about January. Who knows....maybe it'll happen.

I hope your 6 miler went well today! :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone!

I set out to do my 6 miler today, only to be met with the annual Mother's Day weekend Indian Festival (***?) being held in the very park that I do all of my Sunday long runs in. :( So I was faced with the dilemma of running at my house, the normal hilly run OR hitting the treadmill. I really wanted to run flat and I really wanted to be outside since the weather was so gorgeous.

Then I remembered a different park just up the road from my normal one. The path was concrete, but it was a pretty big loop so I decided to head up there. I had no idea exactly how far a complete circuit on the trail was, so I just stuck to my 4/1 r/w and figured I'd use mapmyrun.com to calculate the distance once I returned home.

After about 20 minutes of running, I was VERY hot. The problem with the park is that it is not shaded at all....and the heat from the sun was pretty intense. So i started taking some extra breaks to drink more water and ended up just doing 55 minutes (54:15 if you are really keeping score) since I was beat and it brought me back to my starting point at that time.

Once I got home, I mapped that sucker out and it ended up being a 5.88 mile jaunt...short of my 6 mile goal but close enough for me. I did 9:13mpm, which was not bad considering the elements. I went to accuweather to see how hot it was and although the temp was only 88, the "RealFeel" was 98!! 98!! No wonder I thought it was hot out. LOL!

So I've rested up, replenished fluids and I'll knock out an ab routine tonight. Tomorrow is a scheduled off day, but I think I'll hit the fitness center and do the elliptical for 30 or so minutes.

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day....thanks for stopping by :)

Don't forget the Survivor Season Finale tonight!!! 8pm!!

Just popping in real quick (it's LATE), but wanted to say GREAT run and awesome pace for it being THAT hot! :eek: Take it easy, buddy. (I certainly hope you didn't have long pants & long sleeves on :rolleyes1 ).

Don't you have a Garmin? I think it's about time to get one, if not. :thumbsup2

And I was going to ask you if you were still doing intervals on your long runs. (selfishly makes me feel better when I stop to walk :) ). Glad to hear you are.

Keep up the GREAT work, Scott. Truly inspirational.

Thank you!! :goodvibes

First of all The Goofy is what they call running the Half Marathon on Saturday AND the Full Marathon on Sunday. You cover 39.3 miles over the course of two days and I feel that it's appropriately named :) I can't believe I've actually signed up for something so crazy! The cool thing is you get a half t-shirt, half medal, full t-shirt, full medal AND a goofy t-shirt and goofy medal :) Will need a separate suitcase to haul back the bling ;)

:eek: Wow! That is a lot of running! That is so totally awesome that you and Amy are running the Goofy.:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Great run and great pace yesterday! Keep up the good work!:cheer2:

Have a marvelous Monday!:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter