• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor: DinoLand, USA to become Indiana Jones Land?

Where did you get a crazy idea like that?

Dak absolutely needs more work because it needs more attendance. It is such a high overhead that the accountants need more people in there for the ledgers.

And the recent Epcot announcements have made it pretty clear that they could give two craps about themes. That's News though...since iger only started putting "whatever" in about 8 years ago.

A really cheesy marvel franchise absolutely fits both a hotel and an educational pavilion, right?
GOTG is on an actual ISS space mission patch, so a potential real science tie exists:
https://www.space.com/36737-rocket-raccoon-groot-space-station-science.html

Careful - we don't want to give Disney ideas about inserting Antman and Wasp into "It's Tough to be a Bug!"

I know it may be a losing proposition to bet against the introduction of even more character IPs into the parks, but I do like that AK is (mostly) about the worlds and environment. That again is why I'd prefer to see a new continent (or even a re-vamped DinoLand) over an IJ Land or any other character property.
The character infusion they have is mostly well done. Finding nemo is poorly placed, and dinosaur is based off of an irrelevant IP, but it's definitely more environment based than most places.

The character infusion they have is mostly well done. Finding nemo is poorly placed, and dinosaur is based off of an irrelevant IP, but it's definitely more environment based than most places.
I loved Dinosaur! but I also love Dinosaurs so I think my argument is invalid. :cheer2:

It's just funny to me how so many DAK rumors are swirling around since Pandora has opened...

I don't know what you mean - the most recent movie was "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" that was released in 1989. :rolleyes1

But yes - both the monkeys and fridge are from Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Many people will argue that the fridge scene in that movie is the single most unbelievable thing in any of the series (which is saying something for movies that feature a Knight Templar living in a cave for centuries, a golden ark that can melt faces, and a guy who can rip people's hearts out while they still live).

Surviving a plane crash with a raft? Jumping tracks in a mine cart?

This series is rife with physical impossibilities. Crystal Skull just had the misfortune of coming out in the Age of Internet Cynicism.

While I agree Crystal Skull missed somewhere along the way, I never understood criticizing those elements given the history of the series. Come to think of it, 1 and 3 were the most realistic in terms of physical probabilities. I guess that plays a part since 2 and 4 are considered the weakest links (4 for sure).

Back on topic, I also don't see why you'd shoehorn Indy into AK, except that it might be cheaper. And can I add how tired I think the Indy stunt show is these days? Zero changes in nearly 30 years?

FWIW, I always though the theme for MK was fantasy & adventure.

IMHO, Disney has really abandoned themes for its parks. Its now a "find an IP and shove it in somewhere cheaply" theme.

Regarding AK: My family and I visited AK once, and we everything except for Expedition Everest (my wife and I can't go on roller coasters anymore) and Dinosaur (my son got a nose bleed right before we were going to go there, so we didn't go.) To be honest, we haven't been back to AK. The only reason is that since we don't buy park hoppers, there isn't enough we would like to do again that justifies us burning a base ticket day to go there. Even with the new Pandoraland, we won't go back because adding two more rides still doesn't justfiy us going there. Besides being out of place, an Indiana Jones ride still wouldn't mean us going there.

Someone on disboards suggested making DHS a free hopper park until TSL and SWL are completed. I would say the same about Animal Kingdom. That would get attendance up.

While I agree Crystal Skull missed somewhere along the way, I never understood criticizing those elements given the history of the series. Come to think of it, 1 and 3 were the most realistic in terms of physical probabilities. I guess that plays a part since 2 and 4 are considered the weakest links (4 for sure).

Exactly - people who focus on the fridge scene have to overlook a lot of other unrealistic things in the series. Suspension of disbelief, folks. I thought the fridge scene was sort of clever - but as we know from David St. Hubbins, there's a fine line between clever and stupid.

To the point others have raised, I don't see how IJ Land would help with significant and sustained new crowds at AK. The Stunt Show is fine but not exactly a huge draw at DHS. Indiana Jones interest was at its peak around 30 years ago. And I don't necessarily see the prospect of Indiana Jones 5 moving the needle that much (although admittedly I am often wrong).

I still fail to see how Pandora fits into the AK theme at all and do not think it should be there. I think dinosaurs fit somewhat (Is AK time or space?) but I don't like the carnival feel. I would prefer they continue the idea of continents and the conservative efforts of those continents.

I still fail to see how Pandora fits into the AK theme at all and do not think it should be there. I think dinosaurs fit somewhat (Is AK time or space?) but I don't like the carnival feel. I would prefer they continue the idea of continents and the conservative efforts of those continents.
Animal Kingdom was always supposed to have a mythical or fantasy type area. Beastly Kingdom was the original version of that.

Pandora is that mythical land of today. The movie Avatar also had a huge underlying message of conservation. Animal Kingdom was built and continues today to be about conservation. That is how it fits.

Pandora (and the attached movie) is completely about the consequences of wrecking the environment, and the importance of finding a balance. That meshes very well with Animal Kingdom. I won't argue that it's a head-scratcher of an IP pick as far as popularity, but we thoroughly enjoyed the land itself, and the attractions themselves have Pandoran animals aplenty.

AK was originally about the animals that were (dinos), the animals that are (live animal attractions), and the animals that might have been (originally Beastly Kingdom (here be dragons); now Pandoran beasts and Yetis).

Animal Kingdom was always supposed to have a mythical or fantasy type area. Beastly Kingdom was the original version of that.

Pandora is that mythical land of today. The movie Avatar also had a huge underlying message of conservation. Animal Kingdom was built and continues today to be about conservation. That is how it fits.

But they didn't create a Beastly Kingdom as originally planned. They created a park based on real world struggles. So I don't see how mythical content fits in. You could argue the Yeti but its just legend.

I agree Avatar has a message of conservation but why not build an area that displays actual conservative efforts that you can see and touch instead of make believe Hollywood conservation? South American Brazilian Rain Forrest is a no brainer to me.

But they didn't create a Beastly Kingdom as originally planned. They created a park based on real world struggles. So I don't see how mythical content fits in. You could argue the Yeti but its just legend.

I agree Avatar has a message of conservation but why not build an area that displays actual conservative efforts that you can see and touch instead of make believe Hollywood conservation? South American Brazilian Rain Forrest is a no brainer to me.
Animal Kingdom has always supposed to have the mythical creates. Look at the Animal Kingdom logo. There is a dragon in it. No where does it say it has to be only real beings. Animal Kingdom already has areas with real conservation efforts. Conservation station for example is just that. Avatar is just a different way of showing that.

I wrote an article for the Dis on how it fits. I can link to that with more examples if you'd like.

Animal Kingdom has always supposed to have the mythical creates. Look at the Animal Kingdom logo. There is a dragon in it. No where does it say it has to be only real beings. Animal Kingdom already has areas with real conservation efforts. Conservation station for example is just that. Avatar is just a different way of showing that.

I wrote an article for the Dis on how it fits. I can link to that with more examples if you'd like.

Of course they can do whatever they like. But something real would have made much more sense.

Of course they can do whatever they like. But something real would have made much more sense.

I would agree that Avatar was an odd choice, but I do think it at least fits the theme, and the land is very well done.

It's also a park with a time traveling car to steal a dino, a show put on by bugs, another show put on by fish, and even another show put on by African animals--in addition to the roller coaster with a mythical creature.

I would agree that Avatar was an odd choice, but I do think it at least fits the theme, and the land is very well done.

It's also a park with a time traveling car to steal a dino, a show put on by bugs, another show put on by fish, and even another show put on by African animals--in addition to the roller coaster with a mythical creature.

Of course. But I am speaking in terms of lands, not attractions. Dinosaurs existed, but a vehicle to go bring one back does not.

But the reason it wasn't built is due to budget overruns and they had to pick either Beastly Kingdom or Dinoland and they went with Dinoland due to having the movie tie in and thought they would help build upon one another

Obviously they were a bit off

Pandora (and the attached movie) is completely about the consequences of wrecking the environment, and the importance of finding a balance. That meshes very well with Animal Kingdom. I won't argue that it's a head-scratcher of an IP pick as far as popularity, but we thoroughly enjoyed the land itself, and the attractions themselves have Pandoran animals aplenty.

AK was originally about the animals that were (dinos), the animals that are (live animal attractions), and the animals that might have been (originally Beastly Kingdom (here be dragons); now Pandoran beasts and Yetis).

As far as picking Avatar as an IP to being to the park - remember the discussions and agreement happened years ago, not that long after the first movie came out and expectations were the additional moves would be coming out and the land would open after one or two had come out and before the third new one or something. Let owing back it definitely seems odd, but at the time it makes more sense with just how big the movie was

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter