Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friendly reminder from WebMasterKathy
We are trying hard to let people participate and vent and share during this crazy time, but PLEASE remember:

The mods and admins here are VOLUNTEERS.

We are also personally dealing with all the fallout of the current crisis- job loss, illness, isolation and uncertainty, financial disaster.

We want to keep the DIS a place of refuge and civil discourse, but spending every waking moment monitoring the boards and cleaning up messes really is not what we need to be doing now.

I have a great amount of respect and gratitude for our members, who have been GREAT about supporting each other and keeping most conversations respectful and safe!

PLEASE use the “report a post” link to alert us to any truly problematic, profane, attacking posts so we can take care of them. Also, please think before reporting posts that are not really problematic but that may be just something that you do not agree with.

“Political” is a very gray area right now as our government response is very entwined in all issues dealing with the virus pandemic, and we (admins and moderators) have to use a lot of personal judgement when trying to balance allowing conversation and drawing a line preventing political debate and insult. DO NOT insult other posters directly by attacking them for their views or words. Try to discuss IDEAS, not slam other posters. Don’t rage about political parties or philosophies, but mentions of what government figures may have said or done are not necessarily going to be forbidden now.

The reason we had to make politics a “no go” topic years ago is because PEOPLE WERE ATTACKING AND ARGUING. So do not do that, okay? As a team, we get accused of protecting liberal views, conservative views, any views that do not align with a specific poster’s views. The truth is that we are a collection of people with political views all over the spectrum. Just like the membership here. Share your ideas respectfully and we’ll all get through this still being friends.

And if you find your blood pressure rising and temptations to respond harshly to others here or to report LOTS of posts because you do not agree with them, take a break. Turn off the computer. Go sit out in the sunshine and listen to some happy music. Unplug for a while.

As a CM I can tell you I've heard about none of this so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The only thing on there that I see as viable would be the limiting guest numbers for enclosed spaces at a show or ride and providing more hand washing/sanitization stands.

Other than that all of these options greatly impact the overall Guest Experience when visiting the parks.
I'm no expert or anything, but I don't know that the powers that be would ever have a limit to Guests greeting our characters -the amount of outrage it would spark makes me nervous just thinking about it.

Also the mobile ordering system barely works as it is, it would take forever for it to become a viable option. We still aren't even able to effectively use our stocking system which has been in "effect" for the past year and a half and we still haven't got chip reading registers in any park aside from Epcot! It may not seem like it to everyone else but it takes Disney forever and a half to actually change things internally.

Things like the castle changing overnight are wonderful feats performed by magic and mice!
The implementation and improvement of technology however...not so much.

Also I can't imagine the fireworks shows NOT being a thing for the same reason as I can't see them restricting character meet and greets. Part of the reason WHY people come to Disney is for the characters and the nighttime shows; eliminating those things or even restricting them would see massive amounts of guests demanding returns even if they had been given a notice prior. It's not necessarily a reason to NOT implement those ideas, but the guest experience would be suffering and that's something that Disney tries to not allow.
I totally agree. Disney is Magic and that is why millions of people pay large amount of money to to there. If the virus removes the magic then people will not come. Walt Disney always said "if you can dream it, you can do it". I think Disney will find a way and continue to be the happiest place on earth.

In a follow up to the Universal's survey in the US, what kind of measures the guests think they should implement. Disneyland Paris' fanwebsite ED92 has modified the survey and put it online. Of course, it's not an official Disney Survey, but it's interesting to see where the majority of the votes are and what the majority feels comfortable with.

https://www.ed92.org/reopen-disneyland-paris-but-how/

In a follow up to the Universal's survey in the US, what kind of measures the guests think they should implement. Disneyland Paris' fanwebsite ED92 has modified the survey and put it online. Of course, it's not an official Disney Survey, but it's interesting to see where the majority of the votes are and what the majority feels comfortable with.

Thanks for posting it is interesting to see the results. Was surprised to see 48% think everyone should wear masks cast members and guests. Guess I see so many responses on here that they won’t go if they have to wear a mask that I thought that would be lower. To finish out the that question 43% nobody wears a mask, 4% only cast members and 4%only guests wear masks.

Thanks for posting it is interesting to see the results. Was surprised to see 48% think everyone should wear masks cast members and guests. Guess I see so many responses on here that they won’t go if they have to wear a mask that I thought that would be lower. To finish out the that question 43% nobody wears a mask, 4% only cast members and 4%only guests wear masks.

Yes, but that's also (mostly) Europe. As people say often on here (re: how Asian countries have no issue with it), Americans have an attitude all their own when it comes to this stuff. It would be interesting to see a poll done in the US on the matter.

Paris's average high temps are in the high 70's . Orlando sees 4 months of 90 degrees and above with very high humidity, I think most people that have said no masks here is because of the heat and comfort level

Last edited:
Yes, but that's also Europe. As people say often on here (re: how Asian countries have no issue with it), Americans have an attitude all their own when it comes to this stuff. It would be interesting to see a poll done in the US on the matter.
I feel like Europe has a similar view to masks maybe I’m wrong but yes I would like to see a poll done in the US.

We were scheduled for the Beach Club too! I feel better about waiting until next year because I’m not good with the wait and see if things work out or not (or what will be open or not/or will we have to wear masks or not). I do much better with plans, which is probably why I love planning a Disney vacation so much 🤣
You and I are kindred spirits! That's exactly how I feel right now. Happy (and relieved) to reschedule our Yacht Club stay for 2021.

Paris's average high temps are in the high 70's . Orlando sees 4 months on 90 degrees and above with very high humidity, I think most people that have said no masks here is because of the heat and comfort level

Yes, but when it's pointed out that Asia has the same (and actually higher temp averages in places) and have no problem wearing them... then they say it comes down to "attitude" or cultural norms.

Fascinating results.

If all those measures need to be implemented before guests feel confident to return to dlp then its staying shut for a very long time.

Installing self checkouts in every store alone will take months!

Fascinating results.

If all those measures need to be implemented before guests feel confident to return to dlp then its staying shut for a very long time.

Installing self checkouts in every store alone will take months!
Would it even be worth it to do that for a year or so?

Almost seems like it would be better/cheaper to have people stay outside of the stores view a screen...pick something out on a touch screen/buy it with their MB and have a CM bring it out to them.

I am surprised they didn't deny those rumors when asked. I mean how hard would it be to say, "We expect to be up and running in some fashion before the end of the year." Denying the rumors would surely benefit them in multiple ways - improve stock rating, guests who may not have booked since Disney is silent, would book etc....

I get the thinking but even if they come out with something like "before the end of the year" people will wonder what that means? I m na, Dec 2020 isn't that different than Jan 2021 so is it really denying the main point of the story

The could be very vague and just mention that an analyst out out that theory but we are following guidelines of health officials, etc regarding our opening ...

I just think if they say any sort of timeframe then people hold them to that - even know all they have said is "closed indefinitely" but because the system will let you book trips starting June 1st some people are viewing that as the opening date and will be really upset if the parks aren't open then - even though Disney never said they would be open then

Yes, but that's also (mostly) Europe. As people say often on here (re: how Asian countries have no issue with it), Americans have an attitude all their own when it comes to this stuff. It would be interesting to see a poll done in the US on the matter.
Paris's average high temps are in the high 70's . Orlando sees 4 months of 90 degrees and above with very high humidity, I think most people that have said no masks here is because of the heat and comfort level
I think the first difference between Asia and Europe & the US is that in Asia it has always been common practice to wear masks when you are not feeling well. So for them the step to wear masks is not as big as it is for Europe & the US.

Paris can get hot in June - August, but the humidity is a lot less. But I think what also plays a part is that there is a difference in wearing a mask because you have to go to work or go shopping etc. versus doing something you absolutely love, like Disney. If a mask is required to go to Disney, I'll wear ten masks! So to speak :)
I am not that concerned about masks worn by me, guests and CMs to take away the magic. It would be the lack of shows & characters. To me, that's Disney. If I want to go on a roller coaster I can go elsewhere, but the entire atmosphere characters and shows create... that's hard to copy :)

Would it even be worth it to do that for a year or so?

Almost seems like it would be better/cheaper to have people stay outside of the stores view a screen...pick something out on a touch screen/buy it with their MB and have a CM bring it out to them.

Why would it be only for a year? Before Covid more and more stores and supermarkets installed self service check-out machines. That's a trend in retail you see happening already.
I can imagine that if this is a measure Disney goes for, it will stay permanent.

I'm waiting because, silly as it may see, I'd rather tell my kids that Disney canceled our trip than tell the that I did! 😉
I agree. We are supposed to go over July 4 and highly doubt we will. Even if they are open, I think the offered experiences will be so watered down it’s not worth it. And I’m not sure I want to be in a crowd of people—especially since I don’t have a ton of faith in people there adhering to rules of social distancing or hygiene (seen too many people not wash hands after using the public bathroom) We have already prepped our 7 year old that WDW May still be closed or they will be open without characters,fireworks, parades, etc.

Why would it be only for a year? Before Covid more and more stores and supermarkets installed self service check-out machines. That's a trend in retail you see happening already.
I can imagine that if this is a measure Disney goes for, it will stay permanent.

Indeed.

Although there are several stores where I just cannot figure out how that would work. In DLP the Christmas shop under the castle just wouldn't work - firstly because it is very small and usually full of guests which they would somehow need to limit, secondly would they expect guests to wrap and box their own fragile items?

Indeed.

Although there are several stores where I just cannot figure out how that would work. In DLP the Christmas shop under the castle just wouldn't work - firstly because it is very small and usually full of guests which they would somehow need to limit, secondly would they expect guests to wrap and box their own fragile items?
You would always need a regular register, like in stores. In case products do not scan, or are protected like clothes. You need someone to remove the protection pin.
It would definitely not work in every store. Sir Mickey's is another one, the little store next to the Animation Academy, but World of Disney in Disney Village or the Emporium should be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter