Rope drop for FoP and Slinky Dog Dash question

For SDD - can’t stress strongly enough to stay right. CMs will request that you funnel to the right of the umbrellas - so there’s a pinch point there. Then, all of those following the CM instructions get penalized by people running around the left side of the umbrellas and CMs doing nothing to stop them. We went from being AT the heels of the CMs on the walk over there to boarding the 4th train. (And not that we minded being on the 4th train - but just to illustrate how much of a mess it was.)
We will do our first RD at TSL tomorrow, and be sure to be on the far right. Thanks.

The first time RD FoP aug 2017 I was on the right but not the very far right and that wrap around at the end of RD herd at FoP made us try to go behind about 50 ppl to rejoin the line from being right behind the sign cm. I avoid being trapped by the garbage cans by being all the way right but almost all the way right.

I was thinking of doing this, but I’m not sure if we could get all of that done by 10:15, which is when our first FP window ends (for ToT).

After we left TSL at 8:10am, we went to see the puppets and had about a 10 min wait. Pictures with Mickey and Minnie and then the snowman. Then we waited for our 10:10 FP (10:05) for about 10 min and my kids waited for theirs at RnR.

But that was with the 7am EMH.

After we left TSL at 8:10am, we went to see the puppets and had about a 10 min wait. Pictures with Mickey and Minnie and then the snowman. Then we waited for our 10:10 FP (10:05) for about 10 min and my kids waited for theirs at RnR.

But that was with the 7am EMH.

On our day, we have a 9AM regular opening. We shall see!

EMH for AK for us will be at 8am. We are planning to board the bus at 7 at CS and hopefully not have to spend too much time in line during the EMH. Anyone think we should be there earlier?

Also with the change in bus drop off at HS, we are planning on the same times for getting the 8am EMH at HS. Any other thoughts on that one?

How early do the boats from the YC/BC start running to Hollywood Studios? Would we be at a disadvantage since they don't offer bus service there?

How early do the boats from the YC/BC start running to Hollywood Studios? Would we be at a disadvantage since they don't offer bus service there?

I have the same question that I haven't been able to get an answer to. I'm considering just using the Minnie Van service on the regular park opening, but for EMH, they don't start early enough. If it were just me, I'd walk, but I'll have a 6 yr old who will be none too happy being awake at that hour and I see disaster in the making if I try and get him moving beyond a snails pace that early in the morning.

Thanks! I know that at some point they start routing people around another way and wanted to make sure that we shouldn’t just go that way first.

They may have changed something, but in our experience, the CMs started walking the "herd" toward FoP well before the actual rope drop time so there wouldn't have really been any way to walk around and just go to the area where the line snakes.

Because I'm not wasting valuable park time when I'm in line waiting for the park to open. Plus, I get the ride out of the way and can move on to other rides before the park gets crowded. If I stand in line for an hour before park opening, I probably save 2 hours or more of standing in the heat during the day for rides.

I just wanted to note that getting in line right at the park closing time is also technically not wasting any park time. We have always been early rope-droppers like you and will continue to do so because you can get so much done early in the morning before the parks get crowded. But, if someone is only concerned with one particular ride, the park closing strategy is a good one. We have noticed that they tend to inflate the wait times to discourage people from getting in line. Ex. RoL wait time was posted as 110 min, but it really only took 40.

If you rope drop, I feel like Boat Journey, Mania, and Saucers would be pretty short waits, probably under 30 minutes. But your best bet for FOP and SDD would probably be closing in my opinion.

If you rope drop, I feel like Boat Journey, Mania, and Saucers would be pretty short waits, probably under 30 minutes. But your best bet for FOP and SDD would probably be closing in my opinion.

If I’m getting there over an hour before opening I expect to practically walk on to the ride. Or at least less than 10 minutes. Is the slinky rope drop really that bad? FoP has been pretty easy. The preshow takes a long time but we usually go straight to it.

Last edited:
If I’m getting there over an hour before opening I expect to practically walk on to the ride. Or at lease less than 10 minutes. Is the slinky rope drop really that bad? FoP has been pretty easy. The preshow takes a long time but we usually go straight to it.
You can try it, but you better run! The wait is probably ok for the first 30 minutes though.

You can try it, but you better run! The wait is probably ok for the first 30 minutes though.
last mo. RD to SDD was very casual (but longish) walk from Starbucks/Sunset... it's easy in that there isn't the running that you commonly see for RD FoP. It's a wide RD, and I've seen people at the very front go like 50 back with some of the competitive shoving/and exclaim what a nightmare it was. We were at the very front and walked on. The 1st bus was arrived just before 6am, and sufficient for being near the front at the taps before the 630 walk to Sunset Blvd. wait with CMs.

I'm recently back and we went to TSL on EMH morning. DHS opened at 7--we were there at 6 and they were letting people in. We went to SD and the line was about 40 minutes, but the ride kept breaking so we actually waited 80 minutes.

We just got back yesterday from our Disney trip. AK day was the only day we did rope drop (it was a 9:00am opening day). We got there at 7:45 and were off of FOP by 9:05. They let people start to get on the ride before 9. At one point the wait was 2.5 hours so we were all glad we did went early. To get there, we just followed the crowd as everyone was going there as well. As for Slinky Dog...unfortunately, my son decided he wanted to do it and I didn't have a FP (couldn't get one at our 60 day). We waited in stand by and while the sign said a 60 min. wait, it was far longer.
That is almost the exact experience we had with FoP. We arrived at 7:45 and they let everyone in the park about 8:20. Then we waited outside Tiffins until about 8:45. Once we walked the endless queue line (man that thing is long!) we waited no more than 10-15 minutes and were off the ride by 9:10. If I have to wait an hour for a ride, I’d rather spend my time waiting before the park opens than use precious park time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter