Room Only but booked as package. Any ideas why?

ChrisNY2

DIS Veteran
I have a reservation next month for 2 rooms at Pop Century. The WDW reservations center kept saying "guaranteed connecting" rooms, which I was surprised about (and it will be fine if we're not actually connected.) It's interesting, though, that instead of being charged one room night deposit and pay the balance at check-in, we were charged the $200 deposit and had to pay the balance a month out.

The booking is "Passholder Room Offer Disney Resort Hotel Package Basic Plan" and both rooms are under a single confirmation number.

We've paid the whole thing and it's no problem, but I'm just curious if anyone knows why it would have been booked as a package instead of just a room-only when it's just rooms.

My US TA mentioned recently that Disney are moving towards package only sales, even for ticketless packages.

Please come back and update this post after your stay - maybe they're changing something so that they can actually guarantee connecting rooms, after all the years of having them be "request only" and some very disappointed guests when the request wasn't met.

Could be wrong, but I suspect you got an overly aggressive CM that subtly pushed you into a ticketless package and you didn’t realize it, or it’s an error on the CMs part. We hear stories like this around here from time to time.

It says there is an AP discount on the package, is it possible that the only way to get this discount at this resort was to book a ticket less package?

I booked a future stay this way so I would only pay $200 vs paying the rate for the first night.

A ticketless package is just that and the point is to allow you to only make a $200 deposit with the rest of the package due 30 days before you arrive. Also as a package you can add air and ground travel or even park tickets. The good news is that you can cancel the entire package including the tickets.

If you have a room only (RO) reservation it requires a one night deposit and optionally to purchase tickets and later your plans changed and you need to cancel your reservation you own the tickets. You will get your one night deposit refunded but not any tickets.

Dave

Could be wrong, but I suspect you got an overly aggressive CM that subtly pushed you into a ticketless package and you didn’t realize it, or it’s an error on the CMs part. We hear stories like this around here from time to time.

Certainly could be! I didn't pay attention or notice at the time since the price was the same as I had seen online for the same room x2. I'll update after the trip on whether the connecting room request/"guarantee" is fulfilled.

@ChrisNY2 it also could have been when you originally booked. How long ago did you book your reservation?

Often initially only Basic room packages will be offered for advanced reservations when pricing has not been set for future reservations.

Dave

I'm a bit confused. We are contemplating switching up to a 2 room at Pop from a 5 sleeper at CBR and hoping for the best on a connecting rooms request ... all I have to do is get a CM who doesn't know what they're doing or can my TA work their magic to do the same? For mine of course, it is a full blown reservation with tickets and not room only.

2 room at Pop from a 5 sleeper at CBR and hoping for the best on a connecting rooms request ...
Connecting rooms at any Disney resort is just that a request. It is not a guarantee a TA can do no more magic than you can by calling in the same request.

Dave

@ChrisNY2 it also could have been when you originally booked. How long ago did you book your reservation?

Often initially only Basic room packages will be offered for advanced reservations when pricing has not been set for future reservations.

Dave

Booked about a month ago for a trip later in April.

I have a reservation next month for 2 rooms at Pop Century. The WDW reservations center kept saying "guaranteed connecting" rooms, which I was surprised about (and it will be fine if we're not actually connected.) It's interesting, though, that instead of being charged one room night deposit and pay the balance at check-in, we were charged the $200 deposit and had to pay the balance a month out.

The booking is "Passholder Room Offer Disney Resort Hotel Package Basic Plan" and both rooms are under a single confirmation number.

We've paid the whole thing and it's no problem, but I'm just curious if anyone knows why it would have been booked as a package instead of just a room-only when it's just rooms.
I heard it is so you can add travel insurance or a dining plan (if it comes back). I had to specifically request room only. I like the greater flexibility of cancellation up to 5 days prior, and paying at check-in means another month of Disney visa points I can use.

This is probably completely unrelated to the original question but when we made our latest reservations, the cast member we spoke with on the phone made a point of telling us the Disney "book with confidence" cancellation policy was ending April 30th. I guess that means they will start imposing their traditional cancellation fees once again after that date. Everything with Disney is very fluid right now as they seem to keep tweaking and adjusting many things, including vacation packages.

Just back from my trip - the app assigned us connecting rooms. We never needed to go to the front desk, so I never asked about the supposed "guaranteed connected", but it worked out as we had hoped! (Even with Pop having been sold out the previous night and generally high occupancy.) Great trip, and the connecting rooms were really nice!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter