• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ROFR Frustration

I'm not sure if I need advice or if I just want some support and sympathy! We're now up to day 34 of ROFR and I'm getting really frustrated.

We signed the contracts and paid our deposit on 15th March. On the 18th we received confirmation that it had been sent for ROFR. On 2nd April we received an email with "Your Right of First Refusal" in the title and definitely got our hopes up, but this was just informing us that they hadn't heard yet. I think that was the last time the broker instigated contact!

I noticed that contracts from my date start passing on 5th April, so on the 8th I contacted to ask if there was any update, but was advised that they were still waiting and it should be in the next week. On the 13th I emailed again, this time to the original person we'd been dealing with at the brokers. He advised that he would look into it and update me the next day. The update was that they hadn't heard yet. I replied back on the 16th to ask why, as we had now reached the 30 day stage. He advised that he would contact Disney to ask.

Oddly, later the same day I received the message from my title company advising my deposit had been received and my contract sent for ROFR. With my last contract I received this on the same day as it was sent, so I replied to ask why I'd only just received this. The next day they advised that they should have sent it earlier. On Wednesday I contacted the broker again to ask for an update but was told they were still waiting. Today I contacted them again to ask if I could have the details to chase this myself as I still haven't heard anything.

Even if my broker has done nothing wrong, I am surprised that they are not keeping me updated and I have to keep chasing! Unfortunately, I am suspicious that this is not the case and that they realised when they went to chase it that it had never been submitted, which is why that triggered the email from the title company. It is very unusual for it to take this long and I have been given no information at all. I know ROFR is often a painful wait, but I'd love to know what's going on!

Does this seem like a normal wait? Am I just being too keen?

This is eerily similar to our experience this past few months. Our broker also never reached out to update and then just quit responding to the point that I had to reach out to someone else in the brokerage and call member services.

Ours was "sent" to ROFR on 2/23 and finally passed 3/26.

Did you happen to use Fidelity and perhaps Bonnie?

This is eerily similar to our experience this past few months. Our broker also never reached out to update and then just quit responding to the point that I had to reach out to someone else in the brokerage and call member services.

Yes. Same combination here. Were member services able to help? I'm thinking of contacting them tomorrow.

I have had no problem with Eric Pagan at Fidelity so it might vary by agent. I’d be asking some very direct questions. Good luck.

I have found it’s always best just to keep touching base with them until you get your rofr notification then switch your follow ups to the title company. Unfortunate we have to micromanage but what’s a little extra leg work after trying to find that perfect for that price point you were looking to hit.

We also had a questionable experience with that exact combination last year.

Yes. Same combination here. Were member services able to help? I'm thinking of contacting them tomorrow.

No, they weren't able to help. However, when I asked if they could confirm if it was sent to ROFR on the day I asked them, they suddenly became very "corporate answer". I get they are not going to throw 3rd party brokers under the bus, but the conversation definitely changed. FYI< I called the DVC number , then they have a selection for checking in on resale purchases, then one on the ROFR. I just had to go through the process.

when I called out Fidelity to ask them to confirm the day it was sent I suddenly started getting very canned responses.

Every time I asked Bonnie anything it was like I was bothering her. We bought a small contract and it just felt like we a nuisance to her.

I have had no problem with Eric Pagan at Fidelity so it might vary by agent. I’d be asking some very direct questions. Good luck.

Yes, Eric seemed like a nice guy. When Bonnie just failed to respond , it was Eric I reached out to and he helped.

Maybe Bonnie is going through a hard time, I don't want to act like there's something wrong with her. I don't know or pretend to know why she may be how she was with us, but just stating she was less than helpful and responsive and felt like we were always a bother.

Last edited:

It finally came through! I contacted DVC yesterday to ask a few questions about it. A few hours later I got a message from Jeana to say they would request an urgent update (although that is what I was told a week ago), and 15 minutes later it was through! I still have no idea what the problem was.

No, they weren't able to help. However, when I asked if they could confirm if it was sent to ROFR on the day I asked them, they suddenly became very "corporate answer". I get they are not going to throw 3rd party brokers under the bus, but the conversation definitely changed. FYI< I called the DVC number , then they have a selection for checking in on resale purchases, then one on the ROFR. I just had to go through the process.

when I called out Fidelity to ask them to confirm the day it was sent I suddenly started getting very canned responses.

Every time I asked Bonnie anything it was like I was bothering her. We bought a small contract and it just felt like we a nuisance to her.

I also asked when it was submitted in my email yesterday. I wonder if I'll find out!

It finally came through! I contacted DVC yesterday to ask a few questions about it. A few hours later I got a message from Jeana to say they would request an urgent update (although that is what I was told a week ago), and 15 minutes later it was through! I still have no idea what the problem was.

I also asked when it was submitted in my email yesterday. I wonder if I'll find out!

They always gave me the generic email of:

"As soon as we hear from Disney, we will let you know"

They (Fidelity) would never answer the question on when it was sent and could they confirm it was sent.

It's absolutely possible that ours just took longer. I have no data to say otherwise. But it sure took WAAAAAAY longer than others for the same resort and ours was just a normal price per point, etc.

I'm glad you finally got yours passed!! Congratulations!

The problem with Fidelity is that every time someone posts one of these tales of incompetency, someone else will chime in with their own anecdotal "success" story about how everything went ok for them, and the issue gets buried in the noise. Simply performing the job you are being paid to do, without screwing up what is an almost mind-numbingly simple process, is a ridiculously low bar to clear. You don't get kudos and laurels for managing to do your job correctly. Screwing up that same mind-numbingly simple process should be called out. Particularly when there is ample anecdotal evidence to suggest you are failing far more often than other similarly sized brokers.

Add in their notoriously low-cost contracts (even including their "service fee") and people are going to keep using them, playing Russian Roulette and hoping the odds end up in their favor.

So sorry to hear that! Ours took a lot longer that I thought it would last year. But, we eventually got the points. Big trip coming in December!!

The problem with Fidelity is that every time someone posts one of these tales of incompetency, someone else will chime in with their own anecdotal "success" story about how everything went ok for them, and the issue gets buried in the noise. Simply performing the job you are being paid to do, without screwing up what is an almost mind-numbingly simple process, is a ridiculously low bar to clear. You don't get kudos and laurels for managing to do your job correctly. Screwing up that same mind-numbingly simple process should be called out. Particularly when there is ample anecdotal evidence to suggest you are failing far more often than other similarly sized brokers.

Add in their notoriously low-cost contracts (even including their "service fee") and people are going to keep using them, playing Russian Roulette and hoping the odds end up in their favor.
Without good stats on brokers it's really hard to say. I (anecdotally) have have had a perfectly fine experience with one of their brokers who has emailed me promptly and 7 days a week. But I've also had a fine experience with https://www.****************.com.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a problem that some people report good experiences with Fidelity and others don't. If the idea is that everyone should just avoid Fidelity, that's nuts. Of course people are going to keep using them, they have the most DVC contracts listed after the board sponsor. It's not like you can say ooh I like this Fidelity listing but I'll just try to find another broker to buy it through. I'm more interested in whether a company makes things right when an error occurs, which is what seems to have happened for Noodlez. Not amazing, but good that they followed through.

Without good stats on brokers it's really hard to say. I (anecdotally) have have had a perfectly fine experience with one of their brokers who has emailed me promptly and 7 days a week. But I've also had a fine experience with https://www.****************.com.
Anecdotally, I'd bet a Dole Whip that if you search for problems on this site, first for Fidelity, and then for, say, DVC Resale Market (picked because of size/volume of sales), you'll find the issues with Fidelity to outnumber those of DVC Resale market by orders of magnitude.

It's not a matter of whether one person had a good experience, it's a matter of how many out of 100 have a bad experience. One would assume that the "majority" of sales for most of the brokers proceed without a hitch. It's the percentage of negative experiences, even if they are in the minority, that make the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter