Roam based Starlink?

obsesseddisneyfan

Mouseketeer
I am going on a one way cruise from Galveston to Puerto Rico on the Magic. Would it be an issue if I brought my Roam Starlink interment? I am planning on staying in PT for two weeks after and would need to have good internet during that time. Is this something that would need to be stored for the cruise? or would I be able to see if I could get internet on the cruise ship? Any insight would be helpful.

Just my 2 cents.

I can't imagine there's any rule against it. There's certainly no logical reason for banning it aboard ship - particularly if it stays in your luggage.

As to whether you could actually use it on the ship is a different matter. Getting a sufficiently clear view of the sky may be difficult to achieve from your stateroom.

Makes sense to take it with you for us in PR, but it's just plan on keeping it in my luggage aboard ship. Although, I'd most likely experiment a bit just to see if I could get a stable connection 😁.

Steve

This was an issue recently on a different cruise line. Use on the ship was not allowed. Maybe over time it will be okay. Or they will discourage it, letting them make money off their service.

Since it’s electronics, I’d have it in my carryon, ready to hand over for security storage, but not volunteering to do so.

Check the restrictions. If not disallowed, decide whether to try it.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Starlink Roam plan is only good for up to 12 nautical miles offshore, so it won't work for most of your voyage unless you are relatively close to land. (Starlink hasn't always enforced these restrictions, but they recently started enforcing some of their speed-related restrictions so I wouldn't be surprised if they're enforcing this one now.)

I'd keep an eye on the list of prohibited items. Most cruise lines aren't restricting Starlink dishes yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they appear on the list in the future.

I've never seen one in person to make a judgment call on if they will be able to identify what it is, but they are picky about what electronics can be used on board. They would likely confiscate it IMHO.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest