RIV SV Studio vs AKL Value 1 Bedroom?

People complain about how far away AKL is from the rest of Disney World (my husband included in this) but it you look at an actual map, the MK is far away from the rest of the World. AKL is stunning, and a great place to stay. One time when we were checking in, we saw Patrick Ewing, basketball star.

It is farther away and what it's close to is the worst park that people visit the least.

It's typically 40% MK, 40% Epcot/HS, 20% AK regarding time people spend on average if you look at plans and definitely attendance.

It nice but terrible for actually going to the parks for rope drop daily and hitting parks late at night especially if you want to take a mid day break.

With a 2 and 5 year old, you're going to be schleping to MK anyway. I'd go AK and take the extra space.

Thing with a 2 and 5 you hit MK to start the day, go to the pool in the afternoon then take the Skyliner to HS or Epcot where there are a number of rides.

Nemo and figment are always walk ons typically. Can grab later G+ for MMRR or MM and hit up Frozen show. I find Epcot to be a great evening park with kids and the one latenight we do all week we hit up MK and do a late morning going in to Epcot instead to start.

AK you have to take the long hike to MK then another long hike after mid day.

For me though cant say I really could sign up for a studio with kids coming along so possibly deal with the constant busses.

Definitely AKL. We own there (and OKW and AUL) and just returned from a stay last week. I have been defaulting to resorts in closer proximity to the parks for recent trips (VGF las May and BCV and BWV on Oct), and I forgot how much I absolutely love AKL. And honestly, the buses are not that bad at all. We had no issues. Even the (mid) morning that one was pulling away as we arrived at the stop, another one arrived within 7 minutes. And the drives aren’t that bad either. Sure - MK is a bit long, but honestly we just plan our day on the way out and catch up on our phones, download our photo pass pics on the way home. And the resort is so so beautiful. The pool is great…my kids loved the daytime activities. So are the viewing areas and savannas. If memory serves, some of the value room have Savannah (ish) views, but there are no booking categories and it could just as easily be parking lot view. Totally worth it to put in a room request though!

Give AKV a try, it is unique - where else can you watch African animals from your hotel? The Jambo lobby is stunning, my favorite buffet on property is Boma, the splash area at Kidani’s pool looks great, there’s a shallow kids pool adjacent to Jambo’s pool & a kids playground near the Jambo pool. They have a couple of kids activities too, so be sure to ask what’s happening when you’re there - I remember seeing kids marching through the lobby & at Christmas time the kids march around & then call for Tinker bell to light the Christmas tree.
The lookouts for the savannas are: for Uzima savanna - out by the pool at Jambo, for Arusha savanna behind Jambo’s lobby (that’s where the fire pit is as well,) for Sunset savanna above the check in desk at Jambo or behind Kidani’s lobby, for Pembe savanna at the back of Kidani’s pool.
The value villas are on the 5th floor in the front of the lobby on hallways called Ostrich & Giraffe trail. There are 10 one bedrooms, 2 face the parking lot (there are shrubs somewhat screening the lot,) 4 have a limited Sunset savanna view, & 4 overlook the pool.
One word of warning, staying in a 1 br. will spoil studios for you, the separate master bedroom & the in villa washer/dryer causes many to catch a disease called addonitis 😂.

It is farther away and what it's close to is the worst park that people visit the least.

It's typically 40% MK, 40% Epcot/HS, 20% AK regarding time people spend on average if you look at plans and definitely attendance.

It nice but terrible for actually going to the parks for rope drop daily and hitting parks late at night especially if you want to take a mid day break.
All the reasons you gave above are why we bought at RIV and why we have only stayed at resorts that have direct transportation to a park/next to a park.

Mostly, I posted this post to get a better idea of what people liked about AKL... since I think we're gonna do a more relaxing visit versus the EVERY MORNING, I'm rushing to rope drop (because if you can take the Skyliner/walk to a park, why not?).

Still love RIV, though... it's a lot more relaxing because it's not on top of EPCOT.

Definitely AKL. We own there (and OKW and AUL) and just returned from a stay last week. I have been defaulting to resorts in closer proximity to the parks for recent trips (VGF las May and BCV and BWV on Oct), and I forgot how much I absolutely love AKL. And honestly, the buses are not that bad at all. We had no issues. Even the (mid) morning that one was pulling away as we arrived at the stop, another one arrived within 7 minutes. And the drives aren’t that bad either. Sure - MK is a bit long, but honestly we just plan our day on the way out and catch up on our phones, download our photo pass pics on the way home. And the resort is so so beautiful. The pool is great…my kids loved the daytime activities. So are the viewing areas and savannas. If memory serves, some of the value room have Savannah (ish) views, but there are no booking categories and it could just as easily be parking lot view. Totally worth it to put in a room request though!
What type of daytime activities do they have? I think we'd definitely like to enjoy a resort day while we're there.

Give AKV a try, it is unique - where else can you watch African animals from your hotel? The Jambo lobby is stunning, my favorite buffet on property is Boma, the splash area at Kidani’s pool looks great, there’s a shallow kids pool adjacent to Jambo’s pool & a kids playground near the Jambo pool. They have a couple of kids activities too, so be sure to ask what’s happening when you’re there - I remember seeing kids marching through the lobby & at Christmas time the kids march around & then call for Tinker bell to light the Christmas tree.
The lookouts for the savannas are: for Uzima savanna - out by the pool at Jambo, for Arusha savanna behind Jambo’s lobby (that’s where the fire pit is as well,) for Sunset savanna above the check in desk at Jambo or behind Kidani’s lobby, for Pembe savanna at the back of Kidani’s pool.
The value villas are on the 5th floor in the front of the lobby on hallways called Ostrich & Giraffe trail. There are 10 one bedrooms, 2 face the parking lot (there are shrubs somewhat screening the lot,) 4 have a limited Sunset savanna view, & 4 overlook the pool.
One word of warning, staying in a 1 br. will spoil studios for you, the separate master bedroom & the in villa washer/dryer causes many to catch a disease called addonitis 😂.
We've already caught our first addonitis....and added resale, Vero!

I think we're set for points for a while...or at least until we recoup our $$ from a recent home renovation.

But, yeah, the 1 bedroom life looks very tempting...which is why I'm pretty sure (after all these comments), we're staying at AKL in September.

I've stayed in both a studio at RIV and a 1-br value at AKV.
And while AKV is not my favorite DVC resort, and I was blown away by the studio at RIV, and the convenience of the RIV location, for me, a 1-br would always trump a studio, especially for a party of 4.

What type of daytime activities do they have? I think we'd definitely like to enjoy a resort day while we're there.
An activity leader does games with the kids by the pool mid day. Disney trivia, relay games, poolside bingo. Our kids loved it. All of the DVC resorts have something similar.

I get what you're saying, no resort is close to all the parks though. AKV to MK is no worse than a monorail resort to HS or BWV/BC to MK for rope drop or a mid day break.

I get it, Poly, BWV, etc have easy access to 2 popular parks. Nobody would argue their location isn't better than AKV. Just saying they all have tradeoffs

I get what you're saying, no resort is close to all the parks though. AKV to MK is no worse than a monorail resort to HS or BWV/BC to MK for rope drop or a mid day break.

I get it, Poly, BWV, etc have easy access to 2 popular parks. Nobody would argue their location isn't better than AKV. Just saying they all have tradeoffs

If you look at a full day schedule with a mid-day break you are cutting out an extra longer bus ride.
Examples:
AKV -> MK -> AKV -> Epcot or HS
BWV -> MK -> BWV -> Epcot or HS
VGF -> HS -> VGF -> MK

AK is essentially not an evening park and not a full day park for many people right now. If you did do a full day you likely would not go back again for the rest of the week.

There is a big benefit when leaving from these MK/Epcot/HS resorts in the afternoon/evening to get dinner/rides/shows at a park for the evening close by.

Even on your AK day you go from BCV -> AK -> BCV -> Epcot/HS so you are taking a single round trip bus ride and not hitting the bus again in the evening.

AKV is a great resort just not well positioned for a WDW vacation. It is slightly better than SSR/OKW though unless you are a big time Disney Springs person that wants to go there for dinners throughout the week.

I've stayed in both a studio at RIV and a 1-br value at AKV.
And while AKV is not my favorite DVC resort, and I was blown away by the studio at RIV, and the convenience of the RIV location, for me, a 1-br would always trump a studio, especially for a party of 4.
Thanks for the insights after experiencing both. I think we want to give the 1-bedroom a go, especially since this trip will be a more relaxing one—less hustle & bustle. (I might even get to sleep in one day!!)

If you look at a full day schedule with a mid-day break you are cutting out an extra longer bus ride.
Examples:
AKV -> MK -> AKV -> Epcot or HS
BWV -> MK -> BWV -> Epcot or HS
VGF -> HS -> VGF -> MK

AK is essentially not an evening park and not a full day park for many people right now. If you did do a full day you likely would not go back again for the rest of the week.

There is a big benefit when leaving from these MK/Epcot/HS resorts in the afternoon/evening to get dinner/rides/shows at a park for the evening close by.

Even on your AK day you go from BCV -> AK -> BCV -> Epcot/HS so you are taking a single round trip bus ride and not hitting the bus again in the evening.

AKV is a great resort just not well positioned for a WDW vacation. It is slightly better than SSR/OKW though unless you are a big time Disney Springs person that wants to go there for dinners throughout the week.
Those are specific itineraries and again, nobody is saying the location is as good as as BCV or Poly. Obviously a shorter bus ride or the resort being literally right next to the Epcot IG is nice. Saying it's not well positioned for a WDW vacation is a bit of exaggeration is all I'm saying.

A bus ride that's 10 minutes longer than another bus ride just isn't a huge deal breaker for a lot of people. It's a pretty long bus ride to MK from most of the resorts, and that's the most popular park. I realize I'm in the minority on this opinion that the transport isn't a big deal from AKV, oh well. Less competition when I want to stay there 😉

Saying it's not well positioned for a WDW vacation is a bit of exaggeration is all I'm saying.

I don't think it's exaggerated at all.

People spend way less time at AK than any other area of WDW.

Busses are the least friendly mode of transportation for WDW.

AKV is one of the most spread out resorts in DVC for WDW.

A bus ride that's 10 minutes longer than another bus ride just isn't a huge deal breaker for a lot of people.

Walking - always happens
Boats - very routine schedule
Skyliner - constantly moving
Monorail - semi consistent
Busses - anywhere from 10 mins to 50 mins between busses through the day and even at park opening

People who love AKV though I find love to gloss over the issues with bussing at WDW.

Edit: To add that three more responses all gloss over my last point. That busses have very sporadic waits (for all resorts) which is why cutting out busses as much as possible is a benefit.

Last edited:
I don't think it's exaggerated at all.

People spend way less time at AK than any other area of WDW.

Busses are the least friendly mode of transportation for WDW.

AKV is one of the most spread out resorts in DVC for WDW.

Walking - always happens
Boats - very routine schedule
Skyliner - constantly moving
Monorail - semi consistent
Busses - anywhere from 10 mins to 50 mins between busses through the day and even at park opening

People who love AKV though I find love to gloss over the issues with bussing at WDW.
I understand the critique and think some of the differences is framing the discussion on buses. I think everyone acknowledges taking bus everywhere is less convenient then the alternate forms of transport. I think what people here mean when they say it’s overstated how far isn’t the mode of transport but the time.

I don’t think akv is less convenient then other resorts that use the bus system because it’s not that much further then others. I do think everyone would say it’s nice having the monorail/boat/skyliner or the walking options and those are superior to bus. The main point in defense of akv is all resorts use bus somewhere so the negative is overstated a bit since you likely will be on bus or driving for transport on half your trip days anyway.

Hi all! I'm trying to decide which is the best option for our 5-day fall trip. Family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 2 & 5).

For the same period in September, I have reserved 4 nights at RIV SV Studio & 4 nights at AKL Value 1 Bedroom...trying to decide which reservation I should keep.

We own at RIV and love it, the proximity to the parks and everything. We love these studios.

But...we rarely go to Animal Kingdom because it's a schlep from most resorts, so I was thinking for our fall trip, AKL would be lovely. We will have a car—but we prefer to avoid using it usually (but I realize it might be the best option at AKL).

We've never stayed at AKL, but I love the point value and the fact I could have a separate sleeping area from my kids! Plus, it feels like it'd be a relaxing resort. I want to have a more relaxing trip versus the go-go-go I feel when I stay at resorts close to the parks.

Are the pools nice? Food options?

My only hesitation is the bus system. Thanks, everyone, for your input!!
Ok, lemme preface this ,so I haven't read through all the responses yet, so I apologize in advance if I'm saying something that someone already said.
1st off. In terms of location, Yes you are just a small tad away from it all, but you'll soon learn that this could/will be a pro rather than a con. After going gangbusters/ or at a leisure pace in th parks, it's great to just get back to THIS resort and unwind... It's unlike any of the resorts TBH.... The peace & tranquility here is 2nd to none. The CM's here are definitely one of the best out of all resorts... Literally will go out of their way to talk to you, give you a basic history lesson from their country, and just make you feel special...
From the moment you step foot into the main lobby, your Jaw will be wide open the whole time. The theming is top notch, and the scenery in & out of this place is incredible.
The Restaurants. Depending if you have a bland palate or are adventagious or not, they have a ton to choose from. At Jambo you'll have probably one of the best QS on property TBH. Mara... Theming in there as well, and great food.
Jiko is a step up.. and a lil pricey but incredible food & drinks. & then you have BOMA, which is a buffet, but honestly the word buffet does this no justice... So many options to choose from. And the over at Kidani they have Sanaa, which is dynamite... If your a plain eater perhaps not... But eating so close to the animals is unique, and they have great wines as well.
The pool at Jambo is massive, and there's ample amount of seating, for relaxing, and/or eating. Nice pool bar , but the slide (If the kids like that) is so short and slow.. Only drawback here.. minor if that. The pool over at Kidani, which you can also use , is a lot more intimate, and has a very good slide... and also a nice water play area too which is fun for the fam. Water cannons & buckets and stuff, and another small slide..
Now the kicker to this place is the enormous savannas all around. So many viewing spots to see various animals roamin the neighborhood. LoL. S'Mores by the campfire is a nice touch, and they also have a nice lounge. Victoria falls.
BTW did I mention the HUGGGE store, which has an abundance of souveniers, trinkets, goodies, drinks and other various items you might need..

While I love Riviera, and its proximity to some of the parks, MK is the only one that really is a lil long. Maybe 20 mins, but on a Disney bus it always makes the time go by fast. To AK, it's maybe 5 mins. Ep, & HS are perhaps 8-10 mins respectfully.... And buses coming n going were never an issue in all of the times we've stayed here...

Good luck in whichever place you choose..

facebook twitter