Rides to avoid for clautrophobic friend

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I have a friend who tends to get a little claustrophobic and asked me what rides to avoid (she dislikes being in small, cramped spaces). It's her first trip to WDW and want to steer her in the right direction. -I'm also a ride wimp so despite my 10 trips to WDW, my ride experience is not as good as most of my fellow Dis boarders ( ; :rolleyes1

I told her the Haunted Mansion does a shrinking room thing that feels somewhat squished (that may bother her), and I heard there is a mission space in Epcot ride that's cramped (not sure which one)- but is there a particular one to avoid?

She wanted to try star tours - would that be ok?

Thanks as always for any advice/feedback, Marina :flower:

I am also claustrophobic. Mission Space is by far the most cramped and should be avoided. Star Tours should be okay, it's a pretty good-sized room. I have never had a problem with the stretching room in Haunted Mansion, but I have read many accounts of them over-crowding that room, which would be a real problem with claustrophobia.

There are lots of rides and attractions where you'll find yourself in a large room but very surrounded by people in close quarters. But if you're really talking just about the small enclosed spaces - Mission Space is the only one that comes to mind and that would be a major warning if you're the slightest bit claustrophobic!

She might feel uncomfortable doing Space Mountain - the small ships and darkness could be triggering. Same could be true for Rock n Roll Rollercoaster — ride with a partner and again darkness and speed. Also agree with PP about Mission Space.

To add on: If Haunted Mansion pre-show is an issue, the pre-show for Tower of Terror likely will be as well.

Agree on the only ride that I've felt is claustrophobic is Mission Space though.

Mission Space. No question. Hate it. Won’t ride it ever again. Between the claustrophobia and the motion sickness I was DONE!!

The only other ones I can think might be a issue are the preshow rooms for Tower of Terror and the Haunted Mansion, but those can be skipped.

The one other thing to consider is if restraints will make your friend claustrophobic. If so, I s would skip Rock-n-Roller Coaster as well as it is an over the shoulder restraint.

I have pretty bad claustrophobia and the only Disney ride I've ever struggled with is Mission Space. Things like the stretching room and the library at ToT I sometimes use my friends/family as a buffer between me and the rest of the crowd if I'm having a bad day with my anxiety but are otherwise fine.

I am claustrophobic. The ones that come to mind in the parks for ME that feel a little claustrophobic are Mission Space, TT, Avatar, and Star Tours. I can't think of anything in MK that bothers me too bad with claustrophobia, and Haunted Mansion never bothered me. Mission Space, I just simply don't go on anymore. Star Tours isn't too bad as there's some room, but I do get a little touch of that feeling when they close the doors, same with Avatar when that seat seems to embrace you-I hate that. But, I still go on those, however I won't ride them twice in a day, but that's mainly due to the screen, motion and screens make me feel sick. Boy, I sound like a mess!

My sister is claustrophobic and freaked out at the part of Splash Mt que that gets very narrow and tight. The cast members were very nice and we got out of there quickly! T

I did not go on it (particularly because I am a bit claustrophobic) but I thought I read somewhere that the elevator like thing that takes you up to Astro Orbiter does not have much space.

There is a post in the disABILITIES FAQs thread about claustrophobia. I copied it for
you.
This is a list of attractions that guests with claustrophobia, anxiety or panic type symptoms have reported issues with.
At MK:
  • Haunted Mansion preshow room is a fairly small room called the Stretching Room. It has "No windows and No doors" (the Ghost Host reminds you of that). After the preshow, guests file into another very dark room for boarding and the space gets gradually narrower and narrower as you get closer to boarding. The doombuggies are a problem for some people because of the darkness, the roof of the ride vehicle and the fact that for part of the ride you are going backwards down a hill. If you want to ride without going thru the Stretching room, talk with the CM at the entrance. It is likely not possible, but won't hurt to ask.
  • Carrousel of Progress has a fairly low ceiling is fairly dark and once the show begins, it is not possible to leave without an emergency stop of the show. I have not heard of anyone having a problem, but the inability to leave may cause a problem for some people.
  • Mickey's Philharmagic and Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor have preshow gathering areas where many guests are congregated to wait for the next show. The spaces are large and if someone has a problem being in the crowd, it is possible to hang back away from the crowd. The CMs will tell guests to keep moving forward and fill in all space, but if the CM tells your group to keep moving forward, just explain why you need to stay back.
  • Space Mountain has a tunnel with flashing lights that your ride car goes thru at the beginning of the ride. The ride itself is in near total darkness, which some people have issues with. The space rocket itself fits fairly tightly.
  • Tom Sawyer's Island has some narrow passageways to make your way through and a series of caves; these are dark and can be tight both in width and height. The floors are uneven, which can make the area more disorienting for some people.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean waiting area is themed as a connecting set of caves that twist around into different passageways. It is dim and the ceiling is fairly low. The wait generally is short, so guests pass thru the caves quickly, which minimizes any potential problems. When exiting the attraction, guests go up a steep moving walkway. Guests who are not able to use this use a small elevator to get back to group level.
  • Astro Orbitor in Tomorrowland is located above ground level. There is a very small elevator to get up and down from the ride.
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority is an elevated tram that gives an overview of Tomorrowland. The track goes into some buildings, including a section going thru Space Mountain. This gives a bit of a Space Mountain overview, but is also extremely dark.mwhike you are inside, you can't see light from outside, which can make some people feel trapped. Inside Space Mountain is the only area that is dark.
  • Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland has a series of cave-like passageways to get to the boarding area. Some areas are narrow or have fairly low ceilings. The last part before boarding is quite dark.
At Epcot:
  • Spaceship Earth has a sort of narrow hallway that your ride car goes thru at the start of the ride and another that your ride car will go down backward at the end of the ride. Both of those can cause a problem for some people, especially the backwards part near the end. There is an interactive touchscreen experience while going down, which helps.
  • Mission Space has a small room for the preshow. The ride is a small capsule to begin with and the control panel advances toward you once the ride car has closed, making it even smaller. Interestingly, I have problems with claustrophobia and didn't have a problem on Mission Space. The waiting area and the ride capsule is pretty much identical whether riding the original version or the more 'tame' green version.
  • Test Track has a waiting line for both the regular line and the Fastpass line that snakes around quite a bit. The preshow area is a fairly small room with a fairly low ceiling. People are grouped around computer touchscreens where you 'design' your own car. Guests stay in that room until a door opens that leads into the next waiting room. The line in that second room moves fairly slowly and when it is crowded, it may feel more claustrophobic.
  • Soarin' queue is in a large space, but the line may feel very tight because there are high walls on both sides (both Fastpass and regular line). There is an interactive game occurring in the regular line, which means people may be jumping, waving, swaying next to you while playing the game.
  • Guests entering the Land with a wheelchair or ECV need to use a small elevator to go from the entrance level down to the level where the food court, Soarin' and Living With the Land are located.
  • Nemo ride at Living Seas had a darkened line with a lot of twists and turns. It is seldom busy, so guests move through quickly, which minimizes problems. The extreme darkness of the line may be an issue.
  • Guests with wheelchairs at the Living Seas need to use a small elevator if they want to go to the second floor of the attraction.
  • American Adventure theater is on the second floor of the building. Guests can get up there using an escalator or a flight of stairs. Guests with wheelchairs or ECVs use a small elevator to get up there. When leaving, all guests go down a fairly steep ramp.
At Hollywood Studios
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid has a fairly small room for the preshow area and they do pack guests in quite tightly.
  • Twilight Zone Tower of Terror has a preshow in a library with a fairly low ceiling and many people will be in the room for the preshow. The ride car is a fairly large elevator, but the ceiling is fairly low and many people with claustrophobia or anxiety issues have problems with elevators in general.
  • Rock N Roller Coaster is a very dark ride, which may cause problems for some people. It also has an over the shoulder restraint.
  • Fantasmic waiting line and theater are outside, but some people have difficulty because of the large number of people and the closeness. If you have enough people in your party, they can act as a 'buffer' around you to keep a space around you.
  • Toy Story Mania is a large space, but at one point of the line, you come to a steep set of stairs which leads to a passageway that goes over the ride track and then another stairway to get back down to board. There are windows in the passageway, but the ceiling is fairly low. There is one track that avoids the stairs - let the CM know if the stairs are an issue for you.
  • Star Tours ride is in a fairly small theater with no windows, simulating a small space ship. A movie is shown out the front 'window' and your space ship moves in reaction to what is going on in the movie.
Animal Kingdom:
  • It's Tough to Be a Bug has a low ceiling in the preshow area that simulates being underground. The theater itself is large, but some guests with claustrophobia may have difficulty with the the darkness and the fact that things are happening to you - some of them poking you in the back or bottom.
  • Dinosaur has a tunnel sort of area that the ride cars go thru to be sent back to the past. Once in, the attraction very dark, some in almost total darkness. There is a set of stairs in the boarding area. Guests who are not able to use the stairs use a small elevator to get to the boarding area.
  • Flight of Passage in Pandora has 2 preshow rooms that are fairly small and have fairly low ceilings. Guests are assigned a number to stand on during the preshow, so you are separated somewhat from other guests. I have anyone report problems with that attraction, but some might have an issue with fairly small rooms with doors shut and no windows.
Although not a ride, some people have difficulty with the monorails. There are large windows on both sides, but the individual cabins are not that large and can be very crowded at times. If parking at the Ticket and Transportation Center (MK parking lot), the ferry-boat is another choice.
Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary resorts have monorail access to MK and TTC. They also have small boats (not wheelchair accessible) to go to MK. Guests can also walk to MK from Contemporary or to TTC from Grand Floridian and Polynesian.

The best way to avoid crowded preshows is to go during less busy times and to use touring plans, which will help you to be in the least crowded part of the least crowded park.

This is a resource for panic attacks, which may be helpful:
http://psychcentral.com/lib/how-to-halt-and-minimize-panic-attacks/0005992

I have never ridden Mission Space because I knew with my claustrophobia it wouldn't be fun...

I do have a few bad moments in the FOP (Flight of Passage) queue in Pandora/AK. There are a couple of spots in the queue itself that feel very "squeezy" to me.

I lovelovelove Toy Story Mania at Toy Story Land/HS, but the new queue feels very narrow to me at times. Overall, it is usually moving enough (and I am so happy to be riding it) that I can push past it, but I could see it being an issue for someone else. Part of it is a visual thing - the way the walls are decorated make it feel "tighter" than it really is to me.

There is a very small, very old elevator at Poly in the main building, (I have to use it because of my mobility device) that gets me every time.

It's very thoughtful of you to try and identify uncomfortable situations for your friend. I hope you all have a wonderful time! :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter