Rider Swap/Rider Switch/Child Swap: Digital System begins in late June

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back from Disneyland where they have digital swap. So you all walk up to the podium, inform them which parent will be staying off, scan all FP's in, and then they add the swap back onto the parent who is staying behind, and 2 others in your party if you choose to do so. Yes, it's a 1 hour window from when you scan in, but if FP times are only 20 mins then you have spent 40 mins on one ride, and you are done. We just went and did other things nearby with the toddler. I went shopping, got a snack, rode something else with no wait time etc. It's not as bad as it sounds. Just budget about an hour per ride if you have a FP for it. Standby, no clue, we never had to wait in one because we got Max Pass. I would assume it's the same 1 hour window, however they cannot possibly ask that the baby wait in line, so I am going to assume you walk up and get the pass before you jump in line for standby.

What happens if it takes longer than one hour for the first rider to ride? It has taken me longer than one hour to do an attraction before with a FP when you count the wait and the attraction. I have waited in a FP line longer than an hour before. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. It doesn't bother me that it is going digital and it doesn't really bother me that you can only have one. The one hour window does, however, annoy me. It can take longer than one hour to ride the ride, get back with your party, switch off kids and get back. To me that adds another layer of added stress. Further, if you use RS the way Disney claims it is supposed to work (you can take you little one on another attraction while the one parent and older kids ride) what if they aren't done with their attraction. This just sounds stressful.

My problem with the "everyone has to have a fp" is we have 3 girls, we have fps for say Splash Mountain for DH and 2 older girls, then FP for me and youngest for PP at the same time, so she doesn't totally miss out and we have something to do at least during one of the rides that 3 go on....if I have to get FP for Splash Mountain I can't use it to go on PP with DD3.

I doubt Disney has the technological know-how to be able to digitize the rider swap system AND change policy so that rider swaps require an additional fast pass. But they can always choose to do so at any time. Caveat emptor.

Regarding "fairness," allowing people with babies or knowledge of loopholes to get extra fast-passes is no less fair than allowing people with extra money to get extra fast-passes. Disney has never been fair, and is always looking for ways to monetize babies and loopholes.
What happens if it takes longer than one hour for the first rider to ride? It has taken me longer than one hour to do an attraction before with a FP when you count the wait and the attraction. I have waited in a FP line longer than an hour before. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. It doesn't bother me that it is going digital and it doesn't really bother me that you can only have one. The one hour window does, however, annoy me. It can take longer than one hour to ride the ride, get back with your party, switch off kids and get back. To me that adds another layer of added stress. Further, if you use RS the way Disney claims it is supposed to work (you can take you little one on another attraction while the one parent and older kids ride) what if they aren't done with their attraction. This just sounds stressful.
If I got to the end of the ride and it took that long, I would go to the CM and ask for another window. I am sure they can accommodate that. I have a feeling the hour will start at the second tap or will give you a buffer, but we have never had a problem getting back in line in under an hour at DL, because I did not even realize we had a time limit!

My problem with the "everyone has to have a fp" is we have 3 girls, we have fps for say Splash Mountain for DH and 2 older girls, then FP for me and youngest for PP at the same time, so she doesn't totally miss out and we have something to do at least during one of the rides that 3 go on....if I have to get FP for Splash Mountain I can't use it to go on PP with DD3.

I think that is exactly what they are trying to cut down on. You have to make a choice, or walk on one of them.

Disagree.

Yes, allowing people with extra money to buy additional fast passes is unfair. Socioeconomics and all that. But at least here there is a burden on the buyer (having to pay)

But in my opinion, all things being equal - a family of 4 with two 16 year olds and a family of four with a ten year old and a two year old (same amount of money), results in a benefit without a burden to one family, and not the other.

Imo the change can help provide a benefit and accommodation to the family with small children while also recognizing that other families are negatively impacted.

The family with with small children can effectively get 6 free fast passes per person whereas the family without gets 3 free fast passes.

I get the reason for it, but putting a time limit and restrictions on it isn't somehow a burden. It's like saying "Wow Disney is helping me, but they aren't helping me ENOUGH". Ehhhhh.

Im not at all saying do away with rider swap fwiw.

I mean, universal has rider swap without digital or paper passes and they work just fine.

I mean no disrespect, but clearly you don't travel to Disney with small children. I'm not sure how families are getting six FP for free. RS is great, but your math only works if you are ONLY doing attractions that use RS. I can guarantee you most families with young kids are not doing that. I have three young children. For the most part, we hit the attractions with no height limit. When we do hit an attraction with RS, it takes twice the time to ride it. I think people think families are abusing the system, but those people don't understand how long it takes to get through that line twice....it takes double the time. It is so much easier just to ride things everyone can ride together. I honestly can't wait for those days when we can all ride everything together. I think the one hour time limit will result in added stress and wait time for the kids too short to ride. One adult has to get in line, do the attraction, find their family and switch off and get in line again all in one hour. The adult with the kid can't go far and probably can't do another attraction with the little kid meaning that little kid is probably just waiting while both of you ride.

Also, I can already see this is how it will go down with my kids. I get in line with older kids. We do the attraction. I get out and can't find Dh. Finally find him and our youngest. One of my older kids then has to go potty but the other kid is begging for a drink. One of us takes one to the potty, the other to get a drink. DH Goes to get back in line....sorry it has been an hour and 20 minutes and you are too late especially on an attraction like Soarin which can have a long FP wait and is kind of long anyway. Also if you have other FP or ADRs during the next hour, it will be impossible to use that RS. I don't mind the one at a time rule or it going digital, but I do not care for the one hour window.

Universal child swap is a PITA so much so, we buy Express Pass when we go, which isn't often- we have only been twice as a family. My husband and I switch off and use it like Disney's riderswitch. I take kids to do things they can do while he rides two or three attractions and then we will switch. Otherwise, my kids just end up sitting and waiting all day, which isn't fun for them.

Last edited:
Disagree.

Yes, allowing people with extra money to buy additional fast passes is unfair. Socioeconomics and all that. But at least here there is a burden on the buyer (having to pay)

But in my opinion, all things being equal - a family of 4 with two 16 year olds and a family of four with a ten year old and a two year old (same amount of money), results in a benefit without a burden to one family, and not the other.

Imo the change can help provide a benefit and accommodation to the family with small children while also recognizing that other families are negatively impacted.

The family with with small children can effectively get 6 free fast passes per person whereas the family without gets 3 free fast passes.

I get the reason for it, but putting a time limit and restrictions on it isn't somehow a burden. It's like saying "Wow Disney is helping me, but they aren't helping me ENOUGH". Ehhhhh.

Im not at all saying do away with rider swap fwiw.

I mean, universal has rider swap without digital or paper passes and they work just fine.

As a family with an older child and 2 2 year olds, I disagree with the RS program providing an advantage over a family with 2 teens. The only people we get an advantage over is a family with the exact same make up as ours who isn’t using RS.

The most bothersome aspect for some seems to be using RS to get around the tiers at Epcot. So let’s say my family split our FP to ride both Test Track and Soarin’. Teen family used their FP at Test Track. My family uses our FP for myself and my oldest at TT, takes us let’s say 20 minutes to get to the ride. DH then rides again with My oldest (the only possible advantage is my oldest getting a bonus ride), let’s say they took 15 minutes to get to the ride. Teen family took 17 minutes to get to the TT loading platform. My family heads to Soarin’, DH rides alone with the FP and takes 20 minutes to get to the theatre. I ride with my oldest, taking 20. Teen family rode Soarin’ that day with a 50 minute wait. My family spent a total of 75 minutes in line, teen family spent just under 70 minutes in line. Obviously those are not completely accurate numbers just plausible ones based on my experiences.

So the kid in the group gets an extra ride in on one of the rides? Meh. Trust me when I say groups who legitimately qualify for rider switch are not getting some crazy advantage over groups with kids old enough not to need it.

Ok, to say that the family with the young child gets 6 FP and it gives them some sort of advantage, this bothers me. Childswap essentially (in its current form) is about giving time and even things up.I have your Childswap scenario, family of 4. If we all want to ride Space Mnt., we will have to go thru 2 ride cycles (this takes a lot of time) The family with two 16 year olds will only have to go through on one ride cycle. I don't see how we have an unfair advantage. ( FP or not) At the end of the day, the family with the two 16 year olds will have covered a lot more rides. I simply am hoping that my DD5 will meet 44 inches by our trip in September, and we won't have to fool with childswap. We can ride together.

I think a common theme between this thread and the one on the rumours and news board is nearly everyone who actually has young kids and uses this program expresses how freeing it will be when we don’t need it.

If I have to pick touring with teens, or toddlers with this “advantage” I pick the ease of teens. No offense to my adorable toddlers :)

Most of my trips have been with small children. :tongue:

I don't know, personally I think you can just look to the trip report section here and see exactly what I'm talking about (and again, I would do that same thing in their shoes).

I have nothing against a family that uses a system as designed. And I HIGHLY doubt Disney will be like "oh you're 10 minutes late you cant ride."

Past a certain point, though? You're describing what every family deals with when missing a FP window for any number of reasons.

Leveling the playing field while also doing families a favor isn't something to get upset about to me.

As a family with an older child and 2 2 year olds, I disagree with the RS program providing an advantage over a family with 2 teens. The only people we get an advantage over is a family with the exact same make up as ours who isn’t using RS.

The most bothersome aspect for some seems to be using RS to get around the tiers at Epcot. So let’s say my family split our FP to ride both Test Track and Soarin’. Teen family used their FP at Test Track. My family uses our FP for myself and my oldest at TT, takes us let’s say 20 minutes to get to the ride. DH then rides again with My oldest (the only possible advantage is my oldest getting a bonus ride), let’s say they took 15 minutes to get to the ride. Teen family took 17 minutes to get to the TT loading platform. My family heads to Soarin’, DH rides alone with the FP and takes 20 minutes to get to the theatre. I ride with my oldest, taking 20. Teen family rode Soarin’ that day with a 50 minute wait. My family spent a total of 75 minutes in line, teen family spent just under 70 minutes in line. Obviously those are not completely accurate numbers just plausible ones based on my experiences.

So the kid in the group gets an extra ride in on one of the rides? Meh. Trust me when I say groups who legitimately qualify for rider switch are not getting some crazy advantage over groups with kids old enough not to need it.

As for the Epcot advantage, most families (especially of young girls- I have two) are using their Tier 1 on Frozen Ever After so there's that....we aren't using RS to get around those tiers.

As for the Epcot advantage, most families (especially of young girls- I have two) are using their Tier 1 on Frozen Ever After so there's that....we aren't using RS to get around any tiers. At DHS, we are typically using our Tier 1 as it stands now for TSMM, again aren't getting around tiers.

Yeah, in practice we didn’t mess around with the tiers either. It was honestly too daunting to even try and plan yet another ride time in our day. But people seem to be bothered by the idea that you can.

I think a common theme between this thread and the one on the rumours and news board is nearly everyone who actually has young kids and uses this program expresses how freeing it will be when we don’t need it.

If I have to pick touring with teens, or toddlers with this “advantage” I pick the ease of teens. No offense to my adorable toddlers :)

Agreed. I like that RS is there. I like that my older girls get to ride once with each parent on rides that their brother can't do. It does take a LONG time for everyone to get through one attraction. I guarantee families with little kids aren't seeing nearly as many attractions as families with older kids.

Ok, to say that the family with the young child gets 6 FP and it gives them some sort of advantage, this bothers me. Childswap essentially (in its current form) is about giving time and even things up.I have your Childswap scenario, family of 4. If we all want to ride Space Mnt., we will have to go thru 2 ride cycles (this takes a lot of time) The family with two 16 year olds will only have to go through on one ride cycle. I don't see how we have an unfair advantage. ( FP or not) At the end of the day, the family with the two 16 year olds will have covered a lot more rides. I simply am hoping that my DD5 will meet 44 inches by our trip in September, and we won't have to fool with childswap. We can ride together.

Again, I disagree.

UNLESS MY UNDERSTANDING HAS BEEN INCORRECT AND EVERYONE NEEDS A FAST PASS TO GET RIDER SWAP (WHICH I REALLY DIDNT THINK WAS THE CASE)- AND IF IT IS, THEN THAT WILL CHANGE MY OPINION:

Childswap family of 4
Mom and DS1 Book fast pass for Space (gets swap)
Mom and DS1 book fast pass for SDMT (gets swap)
Mom and DS1 book fast pass for Splash (gets swap)
Dad and DS2 Book fast pass for BTMR (gets swap)
Dad and DS2 Book Fast pass for Space (different time) (gets swap)
Dad and DS2 Book Fast pass for SDMT (different time) (gets swap)

12 experiences on rides total

Non Childswap family of 4:
Whole Family book fast pass for Space
Whole book fast pass for SDMT
Whole family book fast pass for Splash

3 experiences on rides total

So yes, they have to go through the ride cycle twice, but they also get 12 total experiences as a family, while the nonswap family gets 3. 12 total experiences/2cycles = 6. Effectively getting 6 fast passes. On top of that, the other half of the swapping family can ride something else WHILE they are waiting, upping the number of ride experiences the family gets.

Like, I swear I'm not a horrible person lol. Use all the rider swap you want. I certainly would.

But, I just don't think any of these changes are a burden. Yes, more restrictive than before which I can see being annoying because once you have something, you don't want it taken away. But, it's not unfair for them to put an hour limit on the experience.

Like, I swear I'm not a horrible person lol. Use all the rider swap you want. I certainly would.

But, I just don't think any of these changes are a burden. Yes, more restrictive than before which I can see being annoying because once you have something, you don't want it taken away. But, it's not unfair for them to put an hour limit on the experience.

I’ve never personally called the change unfair.

But I also don’t think the current system is unfair to those who don’t have small children. There isn’t a huge advantage like some believe there to be.

I’ve never personally called the change unfair.

But I also don’t think the current system is unfair to those who don’t have small children. There isn’t a huge advantage like some believe there to be.

I don't think the current system is *unfair*, I just think this is *still* fair.

:wave2: After a reminder to remain on topic is posted, Warnings and Infractions do begin.

I mean no disrespect, but clearly you don't travel to Disney with small children. I'm not sure how families are getting six FP for free. RS is great, but your math only works if you are ONLY doing attractions that use RS. I can guarantee you most families with young kids are not doing that. I have three young children. For the most part, we hit the attractions with no height limit. When we do hit an attraction with RS, it takes twice the time to ride it. I think people think families are abusing the system, but those people don't understand how long it takes to get through that line twice....it takes double the time. It is so much easier just to ride things everyone can ride together. I honestly can't wait for those days when we can all ride everything together. I think the one hour time limit will result in added stress and wait time for the kids too short to ride. One adult has to get in line, do the attraction, find their family and switch off and get in line again all in one hour. The adult with the kid can't go far and probably can't do another attraction with the little kid meaning that little kid is probably just waiting while both of you ride.

Also, I can already see this is how it will go down with my kids. I get in line with older kids. We do the attraction. I get out and can't find Dh. Finally find him and our youngest. One of my older kids then has to go potty but the other kid is begging for a drink. One of us takes one to the potty, the other to get a drink. DH Goes to get back in line....sorry it has been an hour and 20 minutes and you are too late especially on an attraction like Soarin which can have a long FP wait and is kind of long anyway. Also if you have other FP or ADRs during the next hour, it will be impossible to use that RS. I don't mind the one at a time rule or it going digital, but I do not care for the one hour window.

Universal child swap is a PITA so much so, we buy Express Pass when we go, which isn't often- we have only been twice as a family. My husband and I switch off and use it like Disney's riderswitch. I take kids to do things they can do while he rides two or three attractions and then we will switch. Otherwise, my kids just end up sitting and waiting all day, which isn't fun for them.

I've never taken my kids to Universal, but my experience with Disney RS matches yours. I also realize that none of us know exactly what will happen in a few weeks, and are worrying without knowing the details. We have ADRs, FPs, and touring plans already set for a July trip, so this worries me because I planned based on the RS system that we have been using. We don't tend to split FP's on headliners like many criticize, but we do utilize RS so that my husband and I are able to ride the "big kid" rides as well. For us, the flexibility in being able to get the 2nd adult on the rider later in the day instead of being locked into a specific time window is what makes it possible. I don't think it's right to have to occupy my twins for up to 2 hours just so my husband and I can ride back to back, so we'll do something like this - husband uses FP to ride Splash while I take them on Pirates or take 1 and drag 1 onto the Flying Carpets (depending on the lines). Then we meet up with my husband, and he does a bathroom break, snack break, finds something else and I ride Splash. But sometimes it works better for me to ride Splash later that day, and if we're locked into a time window, it's much more difficult. And extremely difficult to plan around at the last minute. For our July trip, I had booked our Splash FP before we plan on finding a spot for the parade, and there is no way that we would get both rides in and still get a good spot. It takes us twice as long to tour because we have to use RS. I'm not complaining about it at all, it's just the way it is. My friends without kids have been shocked if they have been with us- they are so used to being able to plan and ride things once, they had no idea how much longer it takes to have to ride things twice. Some areas and parks work better for RS and finding good things for the kids to do than others, so that flexibility really makes it easier on all of us. I am all for digitizing the system, but hope that Disney won't take away the flexibility. With so many new rides having height requirements and not opening up the things for younger guests at the recent extra morning EMH at Animal Kingdom, it did seem a bit like families like ours were being left out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter