Restaurant Seating - weird ask

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
So my 11 year old is autistic and for reasons unknown to us (he's not very verbal), he hasn't really sat at tables in years. He prefers to stand to eat. The only time he might sit to eat is if it's a bench seat with no back on it. On vacations, we've learned we need to eat at fast food places where he can stand out of the way. Or eat in our hotel room.

At Disney parks, we exclusively eat at quick services places. We are more familiar with Disneyland and have eating there down to a science, basically. But we've only taken him to WDW once this past January. And we're heading back this January.

I honestly can't remember if there were any places we ate where he actually sat down or not. So help me out here.....

Can anyone tell me if there are any quick service places that have bench or picnic table type seating? (Basically seats without a back on them.)

I was looking at menus the other day and there's not much for him to eat at QS at Hollywood Studios so I'm worried we may have to do table service. Are there any TS places there where he could stand at a table without being in people's way??

(And no, don't suggest we "force" him to sit. That's not really how his autism works. Also, he's underweight so we have to pick our battles and getting him to eat is more important than getting him to sit.)

Hi OP. First off, there’s a place for everyone at WDW and that include your DS and his unique dining need! I can’t think off hand if there are picnic style benches, but I would suggest YouTubing the various restaurants and you can kind of get an idea of the layout and seating options that way.

While it’s super considerate of you to make sure he’s not in the way, I would hope others would show you the same consideration and not be annoyed or think he’s “in the way” because of how he needs to be comfortable to eat. I know WDW CMs would absolutely do their best to accommodate your needs and I can only hope that the other park goers would do the same!

Regal Eagle QS in EP has picnic tables outside if that type of food appeals to you. Honestly, I would pick whatever restaurants appeal to you. If your child needs to stand to eat, I honestly think the CMs will be happy to accommodate.

If you went to a table service restaurant and he just stood up, would he stand fairly close to your table? If so, couldn't you get a table and just let him stand? I might be missing something, but I wouldn't mind if I was at a table and your family came in, and he stood up.

I apologize if I am not understanding something. I am simply offering a thought.

My son might be interested in some menu items at SciFi. But are all the tables the car ones or do they have regular tables as well?
Yes at the back. Explain at check in and request those, especially since folks are watching movies. They are usually for walk up so you should have no issue with an ADR.

1726835290363.jpeg

If you went to a table service restaurant and he just stood up, would he stand fairly close to your table? If so, couldn't you get a table and just let him stand? I might be missing something, but I wouldn't mind if I was at a table and your family came in, and he stood up.

I apologize if I am not understanding something. I am simply offering a thought.

We still leave the chair at the table, in case he would decide he wants it. So he's usually standing in front of the chair with it kind of pushed out. That can easily be in the way of people walking by, depending upon the layout of the tables. Sometimes we can push the chair over so it's more next to him. But again, it depends on the types of chairs and table.

Others have given you suggestions of QS but I'll add if want TS there is usually a place when making the ADR for special requests. If so, just put you need a table out of the way. When you get to the restaurant explain your needs to the host/hostess so they will know to seat you somewhere he can stand then explain it to your server as well. I commend you on wanting to both accommodate his needs and those of others. I wouldn't think twice about seeing him stand.

I wish others were as sensitive about it as you are. I was once on the Safari ride (single person) and they sat me in a row with a mother, grandmother and child. He was obviously special needs and didn't like being touched, spoken to, looked at. Instead of either putting him all the way to the left so no strangers would be sitting next to him or putting him between the two women, they sat him on the outside so a stranger would sit next to him. I don't know if his family were aware that they would seat on the same row as them or what but it was a very uncomfortable ride for both him and myself. I saw immediately I shouldn't try to interact with him and tried to sit as close to the side as I could so as not to touch him but those trucks bounce so he was often bounced into me, which would upset him. Mama and Grandma didn't seem to notice it at all. Grandma was sitting on the other side of him and would occasionally point something out to him but that was it.

Since you had asked about Hollywood studios, the good news is there are a plethora of places where standing would not be an issue. Does he like characters, because , if so, Tusker House in AK, and Crystal Palace both have tables in side rooms where someone could stand at the seat against the wall.

Of the TS at HS, Sci Fi has those back tables. Brown derby would be difficult because the alcove seating is booths. Hollywood and Vine and Roundup Rodeo are crowded. 50s is funky enough that it could work, but it is chairs with backs. Mama Merose is mediocre at best, and not worth the hassle to get in without an adr.

Let us know if you want us to crowd source other locations

At DHS, some additional possibilities - there are high backless stool chairs at Baseline Taphouse, and there is bench seating in the Catalina Eddies/Rosie's/Fairfax Fare seating area on Sunset, as well as at Dockside Diner.

For table service, along with Sci Fi, you might have some luck with Prime Time Cafe as it's spread out into many smaller rooms and seating areas, so with a request for an out of the way spot, they should be able to accommodate a place where standing wouldn't interfere with anyone.

Don't forget there are lots of quick serve options at various resorts that are very easy to get to from some of the parks - so you could consider walking or taking a boat or gondola over to some of those (if your son wouldn't have any issues with those types of transportation). From Epcot, you can walk over to Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Swan, and Dolphin hotels. From Magic Kingdom, you can walk to Contemporary, or a fairly long walk to Grand Floridian and Polynesian, or take boats or monorail to those - and you can take a boat to Fort Wilderness Campground and Wilderness Lodge. From Hollywood Studios, you can walk to Boardwalk, or take a boat to any of the Epcot area resorts, or take the Sky Liner to Caribbean Beach, Riviera, and the Pop/Art resorts. You don't have to be staying at the resorts to visit them and eat there and between quick serve and pool bars, that gives you dozens of restaurant possibilities both indoor and out with all kinds of seating or plenty of room to stand, and still be a quick walk (or ride) back into the parks.

Depending on when you are going in January, it might overlap with Festivals of the Arts so you can get food from the booths and there are standing tables or a nearby trash can to eat on. Smaller tasting size portions.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest