Required viewing for Walt Disney World?

Stefien Quix

Mouseketeer
Taking my 5 yo DD in about a month, and we've been working through what I consider to be 'required viewing' for our trip. Wondering if anyone can come up with some I'm missing. For us personally, I don't think she's ready for Star Wars, so we're skipping that. Also Pinocchio because of the Pleasure Island scene. But any other suggestions? Here's what I got so far (including ones she's watched in the past):

Peter Pan
Frozen
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Alice in Wonderland
Cinderella
Dumbo
Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Finding Nemo
The Muppet Movie
The Lion King
Snow White
Ratatouille (we'll be there for the Food & Wine festival and there's a Remy map thing)
The Incredibles (just because I expect there to be an Incredibles push because of the sequel that was just out)
Wreck-It Ralph (same logic as above)

Any others? Mostly just curious :)

Last edited:
Taking my 5 yo DD in about a month, and we've been working through what I consider to be 'required viewing' for our trip. Wondering if anyone can come up with some I'm missing. For us personally, I don't think she's ready for Star Wars, so we're skipping that. Also Pinocchio because of the Pleasure Island scene. But any other suggestions? Here's what I got so far (including ones she's watched in the past):

Peter Pan
Frozen
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Alice in Wonderland
Cinderella
Dumbo
Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Finding Nemo
The Muppet Movie
Ratatouille (we'll be there for the Food & Wine festival and there's a Remy map thing)
The Incredibles (just because I expect there to be an Incredibles push because of the sequel that was just out)
Wreck-It Ralph (same logic as above)

Any others? Mostly just curious :)

Lion King especially if you'll be doing AK.

We're skipping AK this year (not enough time :( ) But I'll throw it up in the list above, because she HAS seen it at least :) And also, you're right, it does deserve to be in the list!

Some to, possibly, add to the list due to their presence in MK:

Aladdin (in Adventureland)
Monsters, Inc. (in Tomorrowland)

Has she seen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or any of the old or new Mickey cartoons to have familiarity with the Fab 5?

It looks to me like you’ve got a pretty complete list excluding AK and the attractions that have movies geared toward older kids or adults.

Maybe add 101 Dalmatians. It isn’t really found anywhere except the Allstar Movies hotel, but it seems like it is a good one for younger kids, unless you think it’s too dark of a subject matter. Most young children enjoy the cute puppies, and it isn’t a complicated plot to follow.

The only other ones coming to mind are Snow White and Mulan. There’s the Mine Train Ride in MK, and you can meet both characters in Epcot. However, since you excluded Pinocchio, I figured Mulan was probably too violent, and the Mine Train probably has a height requirement.

My only other suggestion would be to check any character meals you are doing to see if there is anyone else your daughter isn’t familiar with who will be at the meal.

You can also always do abridged books geared more for younger kids to introduce a movie if you think she isn’t quite ready for the actual movie yet. You might want to do that for Star Wars or some of the other attractions with more mature movies.

It looks to me like you’ve got a pretty complete list excluding AK and the attractions that have movies geared toward older kids or adults.

Maybe add 101 Dalmatians. It isn’t really found anywhere except the Allstar Movies hotel, but it seems like it is a good one for younger kids, unless you think it’s too dark of a subject matter. Most young children enjoy the cute puppies, and it isn’t a complicated plot to follow.

The only other ones coming to mind are Snow White and Mulan. There’s the Mine Train Ride in MK, and you can meet both characters in Epcot. However, since you excluded Pinocchio, I figured Mulan was probably too violent, and the Mine Train probably has a height requirement.

My only other suggestion would be to check any character meals you are doing to see if there is anyone else your daughter isn’t familiar with who will be at the meal.

You can also always do abridged books geared more for younger kids to introduce a movie if you think she isn’t quite ready for the actual movie yet. You might want to do that for Star Wars or some of the other attractions with more mature movies.
We've seen 101 Dalmatians but only because I'm a big Dalmatians fan (I grew up with them) but I'm not sure that could fall under "required viewing" since there's so little exposure to them in the park.

What about Mulan? Is there any Mulan there other than a possible M&G?

Snow White was a definite oversight though!

No, only Mulan meet n greet. And you are right, 101 Dalmatians isn’t required viewing. I only mentioned it for those staying at Allstar Movies and because of the age of your daughter. It’s one of the few movies I remember young children really enjoying.

I usually list Swiss Family Tree House as a must view because it makes the walk through attraction so much more magical. However, I thought that might be a bit scary and violent for a 5 year old, but I do remember loving the movie as a kid. Although, I remember that I also used to run and hide at the end when the pirates attacked.

No, only Mulan meet n greet. And you are right, 101 Dalmatians isn’t required viewing. I only mentioned it for those staying at Allstar Movies and because of the age of your daughter. It’s one of the few movies I remember young children really enjoying.

I usually list Swiss Family Tree House as a must view because it makes the walk through attraction so much more magical. However, I thought that might be a bit scary and violent for a 5 year old, but I do remember loving the movie as a kid. Although, I remember that I also used to run and hide at the end when the pirates attacked.

Hmm.. I'll have to preview Swiss Family Robinson and make a judgement call. That reminds me of another obvious one that we won't be doing, Pirates of the Caribbean.

The classic Disney shorts always put me in the mood. Also, I love watching the videos on Magic Express on the way to the hotel. It’s such a great way to get into the trip.

Brave, Tangled, and Princess and the Frog if you plan to do any of these princess M&G, also they each appear in the Festival of Fantasy parade.

I’d also watch Zootopia since it’s a good movie and I think the main characters are in the Move It, Shake it party.

No need to study for Disney like you are cramming for a midterm. Disney can be a magical experience without knowing all the movies.

When my newly adopted (3 year old) daughter first visited Disney, she had never seen a single movie and didn't even speak English but it was the start of her ten year love affair with Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter