renting points?

bfamily5

DIS Veteran
First time Aulani poster! We are thinking about heading over sometime next spring/summer for a quick budget trip. However where there is anything Disney, I will make it work! Thinking the least expensive option would be to rent points. Just wondering if this is a difficult DVC to rent or not - just 2 of us so studio would work. Do we need to book way out in advance? TY!

Not difficult to rent points. There are a number of different websites that offer point rentals and also you can rent from members on the DVC rent/trade boards. READ those rules on the rent/trade boards first if you decide to go that way. It is recommended to look around 11 months out. Sometimes you can find them 7-10 months but it varies. And of course if you have the flexibility you can try waiting for someone else to cancel and try and get that ressie at a discount, but that's hit or miss.

If we booked a stay in the hotel room, can we stay in the same hotel room when renting points?

I rented points for our stay in October (booked in May). We ended up with a one bedroom ocean view, so if you really want a studio, I’d definitely try to book at 11 months, but if a one bedroom is okay, then you shouldn’t have an issue at all.

I rented points from someone on the boards and it has worked well.

If we booked a stay in the hotel room, can we stay in the same hotel room when renting points?

Hello. Generally no. There is an exchange rate of points for a standard hotel room, but it disadvantageous. A DVC studio would be the closest option to a traditional hotel room.

You may actually want to consider a 1 BDRM, if you can swing it. I think ultimately, you may save more money by doing a unit with a full kitchen, so that you can have some meals in room. The food at Aulani is very expensive and just okay, for the most part, IMO (with the exception of AMA AMA).

You may actually want to consider a 1 BDRM, if you can swing it. I think ultimately, you may save more money by doing a unit with a full kitchen, so that you can have some meals in room. The food at Aulani is very expensive and just okay, for the most part, IMO (with the exception of AMA AMA).

In defense of the food options - a 1BR is a HUGE price increase. For most folks, including myself, a simple walk across the street to the ABC store was not only fun, but a great place to get grab-and-go items for meals. There are also several restaurants in that complex that are quite good. This would be a far cheaper option than the cost increase for a 1BR, in my opinion.

I guess it depends on how long your trip is. When we go to Aulani, we basically do all breakfasts and lunches in room, as well as a couple of dinners. We also buy liquor and mixers to make our own drinks for the week. This easily saved us several hundred dollar. Groceries are much cheaper at Target or Costco than across the street, and, of course, doing one's own cooking is cheaper than eating out at restaurants for every meal. Really, for us, a one bedroom and making full use of the kitchen is likely cheaper than a studio and eating out the entire time.

I guess it depends on how long your trip is. When we go to Aulani, we basically do all breakfasts and lunches in room, as well as a couple of dinners. We also buy liquor and mixers to make our own drinks for the week. This easily saved us several hundred dollar. Groceries are much cheaper at Target or Costco than across the street, and, of course, doing one's own cooking is cheaper than eating out at restaurants for every meal. Really, for us, a one bedroom and making full use of the kitchen is likely cheaper than a studio and eating out the entire time.

Again - I am sure that it depends from one individual to another, I just wanted to point out the cost variance. On average, it is going to cost $2,268 more per week to rent points for a 1BR vs a Studio. I don't know about you, but I don't think it would be physically possible for my wife and I to consume $283 of food per day, every day, for a week - to make up that difference.

Everyone's vacation needs, wants, and desires are difference of course, and if it worked for you - more power to you and I am happy for you. I was just point out that you are likely unusual in this situation and that for most folks, this wouldn't be a fiscally sound choice.

For us - several evenings, we would wander over the the ABC store and grab some lovely food - cooked fresh, with a bottle of wine or some 'Hawaiian Sun' cans, and usually even get a dessert - and our total bill at checkout was usually around $30-$40, depending on the wine we picked. We would usually bring this over to the beach to sit and enjoy our meal while watching the sunset.

Again - I am sure that it depends from one individual to another, I just wanted to point out the cost variance. On average, it is going to cost $2,268 more per week to rent points for a 1BR vs a Studio. I don't know about you, but I don't think it would be physically possible for my wife and I to consume $283 of food per day, every day, for a week - to make up that difference.

Everyone's vacation needs, wants, and desires are difference of course, and if it worked for you - more power to you and I am happy for you. I was just point out that you are likely unusual in this situation and that for most folks, this wouldn't be a fiscally sound choice.

For us - several evenings, we would wander over the the ABC store and grab some lovely food - cooked fresh, with a bottle of wine or some 'Hawaiian Sun' cans, and usually even get a dessert - and our total bill at checkout was usually around $30-$40, depending on the wine we picked. We would usually bring this over to the beach to sit and enjoy our meal while watching the sunset.

All good points! Also, I guess I'm thinking of it differently, b/c we don't rent points for Aulani--we use our own points. I will point out, though, on another thread, there was a family of 3 who said that they spent $500 per day on food at Aulani during their last trip! Yowza! :)

Hotel rooms on points are generally difficult to book because I think there are very few of them in the DVC inventory. We were able to secure a studio on rented points at the 10 month mark for a September trip, which is a slow time of year. Summer is busier. We found an Aulani owner on the rent/trade forum here. My advice would be to engage a broker shortly before the 11 month mark, or keep eyes out on the rent/trade forum for an Aulani owner starting at the 11 month mark. Be flexible with dates and view types as well.

On the comment of making your own drinks, are you allowed to bring them to the pool in standard Solo cup or a tumbler, or should it be kept hidden?

On the comment of making your own drinks, are you allowed to bring them to the pool in standard Solo cup or a tumbler, or should it be kept hidden?

I think this has been discussed elsewhere....I seem to remember something, and nobody had ever had any issue. We use insulated tumblers with lids--never had any problems.

We just rented points for an upcoming trip in November. Very easy to do re: renting points. But be flexible with dates. I think we were lucky because of the refurb going on in November. We will have an ocean view studio - saving almost $2k renting points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter