• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Renting at MCO and driving to Pop

musika

Everybody wants to be a cat.
Apologies if this has been asked before but I did a search and couldn't find my answer. We keep going back and forth on whether to rent a car during our trip.

One of the drawbacks (imo) of renting at the airport when we land is that we get there around 8pm local time with 2 likely tired kids in tow, so the idea of navigating to our resort is causing me anxiety. Can anyone tell me how easy/hard this drive is? What tolls do I need to worry about?

I find the navigation easy. One person drives and the other navigates. Follow signs to Wdw then follow signs to pop. Don’t overthink it once on property.

I go on 417. Take some ones and a roll of quarters, when you see the toll signs go to the right to pay them, continue on. See the many recent toll threads for how much each might be etc.

Agree with Bumbershoot-it is pretty easy, and one can go get the car while other gets luggage, load car and go. We almost always have a car when we go whether onsite or off.
Also agree with the toll road-super easy and less traffic.

This is an idiotic question I'm sure, but how does the rental car company know that we've just paid the toll manually vs. using their plate/transponder? There's no transponder reader in the cash lane?

Another question - @Monykalyn - Do both drivers need to be present to show ID though? We would likely book via Costco to get the additional driver. How long does it normally take you to process the rental and get on your way? We're Canadian if that makes a difference.

This is an idiotic question I'm sure, but how does the rental car company know that we've just paid the toll manually vs. using their plate/transponder? There's no transponder reader in the cash lane?

I believe on 417 the cash lanes are "exits" but I get all my highways confused.

And I've never had to show ID for an additional driver but that might just be a wonky thing about who I rent from and the corporate code I use.

There's no transponder reader in the cash lane?

When you go to the right to the toll booths, you take your car out from under the readers for the sunpass or plate cameras.

Another question - @Monykalyn - Do both drivers need to be present to show ID though? We would likely book via Costco to get the additional driver. How long does it normally take you to process the rental and get on your way? We're Canadian if that makes a difference.

Booking through National (same parent company as Alamo who it sounds like you booked with) they’ve always been very loose with needing ID. They’ve rejected mine when Dh tries to give it to them, saying they just assume the spouse is covered etc.

That said, I try anyway. And having one person get the car and come around to get you is, IMO, harder and more irritating than having everyone do everything. Getting the luggage leads straight to getting the car anyway (just go out the doors and across the roadway (yes there are crosswalks with stop/walk lights etc)) so to me that’s not something I would do.

Oh and if you’re using Alamo sign up for the Alamo account and link it to the Costco rental and even do “checkin” ahead of time. Makes things quicker.

I believe on 417 the cash lanes are "exits" but I get all my highways confused.

You’re exiting from the main road, yes. But then getting right back on.

They are tremendously well-signed and hard to miss.

I think there are two tolls unless you go allllll the way down 417 to 4 then there are 3.

Check out maps of the area. Note that the road around MCO is a ring, so if you miss your exit from airport to road you should not panic. Just keep going around.

See what directions 417 goes out of the airport.

And notice that I4 is officially a West/East road but through the Disney and Universal area it actually travels north/south. Going to Wdw generally means following signs to Tampa NOT Orlando (actual Orlando is up the road from Disney and Universal). Looking at maps will help solidify that in your mind and not get confused or scared.

Can you do the skip the kiosk if you are Canadian? I would look into that, if you can, it is super simple. You pick a car out of the lane that matches the type you have booked, and go on your way. They stop you on the way out, heck your ID and paperwork, and you go.

It does say the second driver needs to show their ID, but they never asked for it.

Take 417 South to exit 6. If paying cash for tolls just stay to far right when you see the toll signs. There will be an exact change lane and some manned booths to right of toll plaza.

Take 417 South to exit 6. If paying cash for tolls just stay to far right when you see the toll signs. There will be an exact change lane and some manned booths to right of toll plaza.

Actually, they have been busy rearranging roads here around WDW, it will be easier to follow the SOUTH airport exit to 417 South-to exit 3. Turn left after you go thru the toll (The Gaylord Palms will be the big building you see as you are waiting at the stop sign. ) You will go through 3 lights and suddenly you will go under the Walt Disney World Sign and just follow the signs. Very easy.

We usually book Alamo through Costco and you can use their kiosks to pick up the car, you scan each drivers license. Avoids all the upsell attempts at the counter too!

Thanks everyone for the info, it was really helpful. For now we've decided to use DME and just pick up a car for 3 days of our stay when we will have a bit more free time. :)

I find the navigation easy. One person drives and the other navigates. Follow signs to Wdw then follow signs to pop. Don’t overthink it once on property.

I go on 417. Take some ones and a roll of quarters, when you see the toll signs go to the right to pay them, continue on. See the many recent toll threads for how much each might be etc.
This is exactly what my daughter and I did last month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter