Rented Points: Disappointed in Humanity

We don't know the owner's situation so it's not fair to pass judgement. They may very well have entered the rental agreement with the intention of cheating their renters. Or they may be in a position where they are unable to answer the renter's emails and phone calls. I'm going to go with the assumption that the owner went into the rental situation needing the money more than they needed the points. Finances may have gotten out of hand for them and paying a DVC loan went to the bottom of the list of priorities. And at this point, they have no way of refunding the renters and have no answer for them other than "I'm sorry", so they have elected to just ignore both DVC and their renter. I've seen it happen time and time again with people who are in over their heads.

None of this helps the OP who is now out $500+ plus the points that they didn't want to use for this stay. It sucks, no two ways about it. I hope that there weren't other renters who are about to find out that they have no accommodations for their planned vacations.
Are you serious?? There is NO excuse for this!! NONE! There was AMPLE time for the owner to contact this renter and say there was a problem. It is VERY fair to pass judgment in a case where someone pays money, expects a service, and doesn’t get it. I can’t claim to know the details of why this owner did this but I know that it’s wrong, despicable, shameful and dishonorable. People get themselves into bad situations financially all the time... things happen... BUT, have the decency to save someone from being in a potentially bad spot and say there’s a problem. That’s humanity, that’s good will. When you take someone’s money, hide, cower and don’t answer, that’s despicable.

To the OP, I am so sorry this happened. I can tell you have a positive spirit and you are taking this much better than I would. Hope you get your money back in the end.

As for David's, I remember a while back several renters losing their reservations about 30 days out due to an issue with one of David's rentors. The positive is they all got their money back, of course, but that late in the game, availability for anywhere was low to non-existent. And if you've bought non-refundable airfare and such . . . it can still be a financial blow.

And Nick at BWV seems like a wonderful guy to work with you so diligently.

Are you serious?? There is NO excuse for this!! NONE! There was AMPLE time for the owner to contact this renter and say there was a problem. It is VERY fair to pass judgment in a case where someone pays money, expects a service, and doesn’t get it. I can’t claim to know the details of why this owner did this but I know that it’s wrong, despicable, shameful and dishonorable. People get themselves into bad situations financially all the time... things happen... BUT, have the decency to save someone from being in a potentially bad spot and say there’s a problem. That’s humanity, that’s good will. When you take someone’s money, hide, cower and don’t answer, that’s despicable.
Probably no excuse. But to say that for sure there is no excuse?

Maybe he died. And his wife/family didn't realize that he had rented the points. Or that he even had points.

I'm very sorry this happened to you. Have you tried googling the renter's name?

I know when renting points you are given a reservation number but I'm curious to know if there's any way to know there is a problem with the reservation prior to arrival day?

How do you know how much time the owner had? Their DVC account may have recently been frozen and they just learned about it while the OP was already on vacation. He may be seriously ill. He may be deceased and his estate is in probate. There might be a bitter divorce going on with a battle over the assets. None of us knows the actual story. There are a lot of possibilities and to say that there is absolutely no excuse when you have no information to back up that claim is ludicrous. Thank goodness that our court system isn't set up to convict first and exonerate later like you are so quick to do.

I feel for the OP. It's a horrible situation and one that they had done everything possible to avoid. They seem to be taking it a lot better than I would.

Probably no excuse. But to say that for sure there is no excuse?

Maybe he died. And his wife/family didn't realize that he had rented the points. Or that he even had points.
Yes.. I suppose that death IS a possibility, but the OP said the DVC had been trying to contact the owner. If messages were left typically someone is responsible for taking care of these details. I have a hard time believing DVC wouldn’t know of a deceased owner.

How do you know how much time the owner had? Their DVC account may have recently been frozen and they just learned about it while the OP was already on vacation. He may be seriously ill. He may be deceased and his estate is in probate. There might be a bitter divorce going on with a battle over the assets. None of us knows the actual story. There are a lot of possibilities and to say that there is absolutely no excuse when you have no information to back up that claim is ludicrous. Thank goodness that our court system isn't set up to convict first and exonerate later like you are so quick to do.

I feel for the OP. It's a horrible situation and one that they had done everything possible to avoid. They seem to be taking it a lot better than I would.
OP said she got “air” for 3MONTHS prior... hardly a possibility for a last minute chance for not knowing the situation. I’m shocked at the level of defense at this owner. If this was a last minute rental, perhaps. Any number of things could’ve come up.. but if I understand correctly, this reservation was made last year with the renter and DVC trying to get a hold of the owner.

Yes.. I suppose that death IS a possibility, but the OP said the DVC had been trying to contact the owner. If messages were left typically someone is responsible for taking care of these details. I have a hard time believing DVC wouldn’t know of a deceased owner.
True, but I also have a hard time with Member Services telling a renter so much about an owner. So, I am hoping that they wouldn't give out all of the information that they have about an owner.

True, but I also have a hard time with Member Services telling a renter so much about an owner. So, I am hoping that they wouldn't give out all of the information that they have about an owner.
What is “so much information”? Sounds like they hardly said anything at all. They only told OP why they had to pay for a nights stay again when they had already done so. I would have actually wanted more info but OP did a great job of keeping it together it seems!

Unfortunately, I think we will see more issues from this owner if it's who I think it is. He rented out 500 points from July-October ... that's a LOT of reservations that are all now invalid.

I feel ZERO sympathy for him. He pocketed $6500+ last year and that should have been plenty of money to keep his membership active.

OP said she got “air” for 3MONTHS prior... .
OP was referring to when she booked her flights, not saying she tried to contact rentor for 3 months with no response.
OP stated rentor responded and told rentee to have MS book Magical Express.
I think OP is handling this with gracious understanding of living a few years and having learned a few things along the way.
God bless you DVCjj. Again, so sorry this happened to you.

OP was referring to when she booked her flights, not saying she tried to contact rentor for 3 months with no response.
OP stated rentor responded and told rentee to have MS book Magical Express.
I think OP is handling this with gracious understanding of living a few years and having learned a few things along the way.
God bless you DVCjj. Again, so sorry this happened to you.
Why are you looking for ways to defend this person?!? My gosh!!

Unfortunately, I think we will see more issues from this owner if it's who I think it is. He rented out 500 points from July-October ... that's a LOT of reservations that are all now invalid.

I feel ZERO sympathy for him. He pocketed $6500+ last year and that should have been plenty of money to keep his membership active.
I think I know who it is as well.. but I don’t want to jump the gun

Just got back from a lovely trip and a VERY frustrating last night. All was wonderful at our 3 nights at BLT. All was wonderful for next 2 nights (2 studios) at BWV (used remainder of transferred in points). THEN...on the 3rd BWV night(s) I had rented points for the very first time in order to extend our standard studios for one more night. This was all done in June, 2017 (11 months prior). Though I was very nervous about renting in general, I did my due diligence prior to and after the transaction. I found him on this board.

I was shocked when a very nice man from BWV 'back office' called my room to say there was a big problem for our last nights' stay. BIG problem.

The owner "owed money" and I would have to make other arrangements in order for DD and I to stay for the additional night. I couldn't believe my ears. I asked if Renter was still a member and mentioned I had done all I could prior/after renting. The answer was Yes, a member. I asked if he didn't pay his dues. The answer was "that's not the problem but we can't say anything except he owes money and Member Services cannot get a hold of him". (They had the same email/phone #s that I had on my several correspondences with him 11 months ago).

The only thing that was odd is when I emailed for him to make a return Magical Express once I got air about 3 months prior, he said to have MS do it. I didn't think they would but they graciously did.

Thank goodness, I had Poly points that I used for the 34 points but I cannot believe he could do this to me. How could this have gone so wrong if he was / is a Member and has paid his dues???

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE THE REASON? What if I hadn't had points at all to use? I got back last night and am still shaking my head in disbelief.

Did you contact the Disboard moderators? If you haven't please let them know about this renter so that they can't post anymore on the rental board.

I'm very sorry this happened to you. Have you tried googling the renter's name?

I know when renting points you are given a reservation number but I'm curious to know if there's any way to know there is a problem with the reservation prior to arrival day?

That Confirmation # was valid not only 10 days prior when I requested a quiet location (nearer to HS) but even when I checked in and asked if we please don't have to move for the last night (the rented nights with the second confirmation #), all seemed perfectly normal.

I'm thinking that DVC and/or BWV were trying desperately to hold out til the last minute to keep us in those rooms.

I just googled his address from my correspondence on where to send the check.

Re Zillow: He sold his lovely house in Virginia on 3/2/18 for $635,000

What is “so much information”? Sounds like they hardly said anything at all. They only told OP why they had to pay for a nights stay again when they had already done so. I would have actually wanted more info but OP did a great job of keeping it together it seems!
Let's see.

He is still a member, he has paid his dues but owed money, that member services couldn't contact him, and verified or disclosed his phone number and email.

The member has a contract with Disney. And the member might have a contract with the renter. Disney does not have a contract with the renter. Disney should have simply said that they were sorry, but the points were not available to use therefore the reservation was cancelled. They should not have told the renter anything else or even verified anything.

Let's see.

He is still a member, he has paid his dues but owed money, that member services couldn't contact him, and verified or disclosed his phone number and email.

The member has a contract with Disney. And the member might have a contract with the renter. Disney does not have a contract with the renter. Disney should have simply said that they were sorry, but the points were not available to use therefore the reservation was cancelled. They should not have told the renter anything else or even verified anything.
Wow. I totally disagree with you. BWV called me the evening of the night before I was getting 'kicked out'.
SOMEONE owed me some explanation, little that it was, Especially considering all was fine literally hours before when I went to the front desk to ask a question about the Magical Express from those rooms.

I needed SOME kind of explanation before I found our luggage thrown in the parking lot. Possibly BWV took pity on us as when I requested the 'quiet' rooms I mentioned that my daughter was going through a horrendously stressful time dealing with a shocking, unwanted divorce and this trip was to temporarily forget what was happening back home.

Your response has bothered me more than the experience itself. I think I'm done posting now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter