• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

rental car pickup in Hawaii

DisSarahK

Missing Mickey...
We currently are set to rent a car via Budget when we visit Aulani at the end of the month. Our flight (Alaska) lands in the evening and I'd like to do what I can to speed up the car pickup process.

Would it make sense to send my husband to get the car while the children and I get the bags? Then he can come back and pick us up at the airport. Or maybe we can catch a different shuttle to the Budget lot? I'm not really sure how that works.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Sarah

We currently are set to rent a car via Budget when we visit Aulani at the end of the month. Our flight (Alaska) lands in the evening and I'd like to do what I can to speed up the car pickup process.

Would it make sense to send my husband to get the car while the children and I get the bags? Then he can come back and pick us up at the airport. Or maybe we can catch a different shuttle to the Budget lot? I'm not really sure how that works.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Sarah

The car rental offices are not as close to the HNL airport as they are in a lot of other cities. I think your hubby will spend a lot more time coming back to pick you up than you will save by getting the luggage without him. Your idea to ride separate shuttles is better. But I really think that the few minutes involved is not worth it. Personally, I think you are better off just having all of you wait for the luggage. If your flight arrives in the evening there may not be any line at the Budget office. Are you Budget Fastbreak members? That will shave off a few minutes at checkin.

When arriving we always get the shuttle to the rental car together. It really doesn't take that long to get through luggage etc. if we have shopped massively then my husband will drop the luggage, kids x 3 and lay self off then return the car but normally we return the car then all catch the shuttle back together.

Oahu airport is pretty well run, in 12 visits we have never been held up or inconvenienced by waiting lengthy waits for either customs or luggage. Leaving is another matter. Depending on the airline, it can be a long waiting time to check in luggage and clear security.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'll nix that plan and we'll just stick together.

The car rental offices are not as close to the HNL airport as they are in a lot of other cities. I think your hubby will spend a lot more time coming back to pick you up than you will save by getting the luggage without him. Your idea to ride separate shuttles is better. But I really think that the few minutes involved is not worth it. Personally, I think you are better off just having all of you wait for the luggage. If your flight arrives in the evening there may not be any line at the Budget office. Are you Budget Fastbreak members? That will shave off a few minutes at checkin.
It very well may save you 15-20 minutes, more if there are a number of others on your flight with the same rental company. The in terminal companies are within a mile or less so getting back isn't that big a deal. Personally, if you're comfortable and you could get everything to the curb without him, it's worth consideration IF you will not be listed as a driver. You'll do a lot less dragging luggage around as well.

It very well may save you 15-20 minutes, more if there are a number of others on your flight with the same rental company. The in terminal companies are within a mile or less so getting back isn't that big a deal. Personally, if you're comfortable and you could get everything to the curb without him, it's worth consideration IF you will not be listed as a driver. You'll do a lot less dragging luggage around as well.

I didn't think any of the rental car companies were in terminal. Can you share which ones are? I keep changing our reservation as I find better deals, but in terminal might be worth a little more.

Thanks!

I don't think any companies are in terminal but Budget is closer than some others. The best timesaver for Budget is to be Fastbreak. Dedicated line and paperwork mostly done.

Guess I need to look into FastBreak!

To be honest, I'm really not finding any good deals on cars. I haven't changed our rental car reservation at all since I first made it months ago.

Guess I need to look into FastBreak!

To be honest, I'm really not finding any good deals on cars. I haven't changed our rental car reservation at all since I first made it months ago.

Mine has decreased by more than 50% since first booking. Mid-size SUV for week + day for $200.

Does that include fees? Where are you renting from--because that is better than what I'm getting!

We always separate. One of us gets the bags (usually DH since he brings his golf clubs), and the other goes to get the car and then swings back around to pick the other up. It definitely saves time.

I didn't think any of the rental car companies were in terminal. Can you share which ones are? I keep changing our reservation as I find better deals, but in terminal might be worth a little more.

Thanks!
I guess I didn't word it well. HI has some off brand car rental options but even the official ones have car pickups elsewhere, usually around a mile away.

Can you guys send me a PM as well with the info. My rental now is extremely high..

Thanks

We used Discount Hawaii Car Rental after reading great reviews here. We got a great deal with Alamo on a cloth top Jeep. Can't wait 9 days!

I just booked rental cars for our August trip yesterday.:cool1: I used Discounthawaiicarrentals.com and got 7 days in a mid-size car on Oahu (picked brand D which ended up being thru Dollar) for $195 with taxes & fees. Then I got a mid-size on Maui for 4 days thru Alamo for $181 with taxes & fees (Maui is always higher per day). Not sure how these rental agencies vary from one to another….is Dollar OK? I know my first pick would be National and my 2nd pick would be Enterprise but beyond that not sure about the others. But price IS a factor and those were 2 or 3 times as much as picking blindly.

In my mind I would think a "standard" size which is the next level up would be larger but when I read the car details they said the "midsize" held 4 bags and 5 people and the "standard" size said it would hold 3 bags & 5 people. We will only be 3 people so we can use half of the backseat if needed but I don't know how much luggage we will have and I have been stuck with cars before where everything didn't fit and we had to go back in & upgrade at time of pickup. I would LIKE to get all of us into 2 shared checked bags and 1 carry-on each but in reality it will probably be 1 checked bag & 1 carry-on bag pp. I know gas is super expensive there too so I also didn't want to get us into a gas hog either….

I will keep checking for better deals and larger cars but just wanted to have something planned already as you never know how prices & availability will fluctuate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter