Remember when Skyliner was announced....

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
For those of us who have been on these boards long enough, do you remember the comments when the Skyliner was firs announced? I recall lots of people posting that it would be a huge failure. That people would be roasted in the cars because of the summer heat/sun. That it would be subject to major failures. That at some point the lines would snap and the cars would fall into the water. So may grim scenarios.

I have not been to WDW during the summer for years, but the Skyliner cars get fairly hot when we visit in May & September. It also is taken out of commission for thunder storms. So, I would say that the nay-sayers and nervous Nellies were not totally wrong.

I remember there was a crash about a month after they opened in 2019 and all the naysayers felt justified. But my family finally rode on them last August and it was my 4 y/o’s favorite ride of the entire trip. Our whole family LOVED them!
I was a big Skyliner proponent in the pre opening period. We rode it from Epcot to AoA the night before the crash, and AoA to DHS the morning of. The point of largest commentary in the family was the descent and then what felt like last-second deceleration when arriving at the Riviera station. Sure enough, that’s where the two cars collided on the Saturday night, shutting the whole thing down.

We’ve ridden it several times since though and are fully happy with each trip!

For those of us who have been on these boards long enough, do you remember the comments when the Skyliner was firs announced? I recall lots of people posting that it would be a huge failure. That people would be roasted in the cars because of the summer heat/sun. That it would be subject to major failures. That at some point the lines would snap and the cars would fall into the water. So may grim scenarios.
My favorite form of transportation on property. Moves more people than any other form of transportation on property ahead of the monorail. Like everything today, it’s run by a computer and now that the bugs are out, smooth hanging.
A lot of guest want to see the system expanded and who knows what lays ahead. I always tell people, you took your life in your hands more flying in on that 737max and driving down World Dr. than you do on the SL.
I remember the day there was an “engineer “ on the boards arguing how the system works. I happened to know the guy he was arguing with and the guy he was arguing with opened the SL. He let the “engineer “ go on and on about how it worked and to this day, he has no idea the guy he was arguing with not only open the SL, he was also trained in its operation. lol.
It’s the only system of its kind in the world. Yes, that company has systems all over the world in various functions but the Disney Skyliner is the only system that has the WAV function. Cabins that come off the system, stop to load and then rejoin the system.
Every year during shut down, the cables are dropped to the ground, shortened and hung back up. The cable which is approx three inches thick, has a rubber material threaded through it to prevent the metal cable getting worn. The system also has hundreds of sensors, constantly taking measurements. Stations are constantly inspected during the day.
I’ve flown the SL friendly skies thousands of times, always look forward to my next watch your step, please remain seated.

My favorite form of transportation on property. Moves more people than any other form of transportation on property ahead of the monorail. Like everything today, it’s run by a computer and now that the bugs are out, smooth hanging.
A lot of guest want to see the system expanded and who knows what lays ahead. I always tell people, you took your life in your hands more flying in on that 737max and driving down World Dr. than you do on the SL.
I remember the day there was an “engineer “ on the boards arguing how the system works. I happened to know the guy he was arguing with and the guy he was arguing with opened the SL. He let the “engineer “ go on and on about how it worked and to this day, he has no idea the guy he was arguing with not only open the SL, he was also trained in its operation. lol.
It’s the only system of its kind in the world. Yes, that company has systems all over the world in various functions but the Disney Skyliner is the only system that has the WAV function. Cabins that come off the system, stop to load and then rejoin the system.
Every year during shut down, the cables are dropped to the ground, shortened and hung back up. The cable which is approx three inches thick, has a rubber material threaded through it to prevent the metal cable getting worn. The system also has hundreds of sensors, constantly taking measurements. Stations are constantly inspected during the day.
I’ve flown the SL friendly skies thousands of times, always look forward to my next watch your step, please remain seated.
Interesting story! I was just riding it today

I hate to say because I love the monorail, but it's my preferred method of transportation. I hope they extend it everywhere possible. Hopefully, I'll never have to be rescued because I'm not climbing down a ladder from that high in the air and I'm sure not climbing down one into a boat.

I'll just wait it out. :D

To be fair, it's only been around since what 2019? Let's not give them too much credit. Let's hope they take better care of it than the monorail system.

I hate to say because I love the monorail, but it's my preferred method of transportation. I hope they extend it everywhere possible. Hopefully, I'll never have to be rescued because I'm not climbing down a ladder from that high in the air and I'm sure not climbing down one into a boat.

I'll just wait it out. :D
I’m with you! lol. Just toss me up a cheeseburger every once in a while and I’m fine. Many spots along the line you are too high for a ladder truck, which I’m still not stepping out of the cabin, so zip line is the way out. Well I don’t think so scooter. lol
They actually have sign ups for SL cms to participate in rescue practice. They send them up, stop the line and come get you. I’m turning green just thinking about it.
Did you ever see the picture on the wonderful internet of someone being zip lined off a cabin, fire trucks in the background with the heading of guest being rescued off the SL? They weren’t guest, it was a rescue practice, the procedure has never been preformed on any guest or in any emergency situation.
The highest tower on the entire system sits on the line between Caribean Beach and Riv. At that tower, you sit approximately 86 feet in the air.

I joined just before it went live and remember all the negative comments. Of course, those commenters felt justified after the first accident. My thoughts were that these systems have been in operation all over the world, so they have a proven track record. Over the years, we’ve been known to take a ride on one, just to take a break from the parks and relax. Even with a long line, it constantly moves, which I find is easier on the old body compared to just standing in one place waiting for 20 minutes for any other form of transportation.

We love the Skyliner too and ride it for fun!
To be fair, it's only been around since what 2019? Let's not give them too much credit. Let's hope they take better care of it than the monorail system.
Given that there are similar systems all over the world, and Doppelmeyer (sp?) has been and still is in business, I don’t compare it to the monorail at all. I don’t think they can even get parts for the monorail now.

Now that sounds like a cluster during a thunderstorm. o_O
No doubt. But there are lightening detection systems available, along with radar that can mitigate the danger. It's a matter of having a plan with enough buses and drivers on standby during stormy weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter