Rehoming a dog

Know that I'm not 'liking' the posts because of the topic at hand. Lots of good information you all have included though I hope you understand @Pea-n-Me if I don't click on the link to hear more about Puppy Doe I'll take your word on what happened.

All I can say is there are some truly vile people out there :mad:>:(.

*Sorry OP for the turn in topic :(
I do.

They miss out on how to be a normal dog in terms of biting and corrections that they learn from their mom and siblings when their behavior gets to be too much, and other important things, described below. Seems insignificant, but could cost a dog dearly if it doesn't understand these lessons.

Life Lessons

When puppies stay with their mother and littermates for a minimum of between 8 and 10 weeks, they have sufficient time to develop a strong foundation of social skills. In regular playing with their siblings, puppies receive an important education on life in the canine "real world." They learn when too much is too much, whether with pouncing, biting or chasing. They fine-tune the technique of playing around without allowing it to hurt the other party. They gain an understanding of how to send messages to other dogs -- and how to decode them too. They develop patience and problem-solving skills. All of these are useful tools that are integral for positive doggie relationships later on down the line.

https://pets.thenest.com/long-should-pups-stay-mother-11544.html

I can see that being important for someone who is a first time dog owner or not wanting to spend time working on those behaviors. But every dog I have ever had was 6 weeks & a range of breeds & I have never had problems. I realize I’m only talking about 6 dogs over time, but all of the issues described either never applied or I worked closely with the puppy to correct or avoid the issue.

No way, no how could you give a dog away for free here and I cringe whenever I see people trying to do so. They end up with dog fighters as bait. Cats will too.

We watch our dogs like hawks, I'm terrified of someone stealing our Pit. There have been so many in our area that have gone missing. There was even one case where someone broke into a womans house. The only thing missing when she got home were her two Pits, their leashes, and collars. Her lab was locked in the bathroom.

I don't see a rehoming fee as charging someone for doing you a favor. It simply means that you are guaranteeing that the dog gets an actual home. Especially for a Corgi (not going back to look but I think that's what this dog is?). A free purebred corgi would be a goldmine for a puppy mill. Any popular purebred dog would.

On a different note, there used to be a guy in town that was always posting classified ads with baby ball pythons for sale. in the ads he would usually add that he ran a small animal rescue and would gladly rehome your hamsters, etc.
Yes, OP here & she is a corgi...a very adorable one imo.
Unfortunately, the fear is real when it comes to stolen dogs-either taken to be used in terrible ways or sold to someone to get quick money. It sends shivers through me.
I’m not exactly sure what you mean by a purebred corgi being a goldmine for a puppy mill. A puppy mill’s sole purpose is keeping their female breeding dogs pregnant & pumping out puppies to sell with no regard to the health or well being of the doggy mamas.
The girl I’m looking at is fixed & if she wasn’t, that would be a priority for me to take care of.
As far as your snake man...I really like hamsters, so I wouldn’t like him or his snakes-yuck.

Know that I'm not 'liking' the posts because of the topic at hand. Lots of good information you all have included though I hope you understand @Pea-n-Me if I don't click on the link to hear more about Puppy Doe I'll take your word on what happened.

All I can say is there are some truly vile people out there :mad:>:(.

*Sorry OP for the turn in topic :(
No worries, it’s good conversation from people that truly care about animals.
My BF just returned from volunteering at a rescue out west. Totally unbelievable what people will do to dogs.

I can see that being important for someone who is a first time dog owner or not wanting to spend time working on those behaviors. But every dog I have ever had was 6 weeks & a range of breeds & I have never had problems. I realize I’m only talking about 6 dogs over time, but all of the issues described either never applied or I worked closely with the puppy to correct or avoid the issue.
I have no doubt you have great dogs. But what these experts are referring to are things that a pup can only learn from his mom and siblings; dog things - instincts, inhibitions, reflexes, senses.

Yes, OP here & she is a corgi...a very adorable one imo.
Unfortunately, the fear is real when it comes to stolen dogs-either taken to be used in terrible ways or sold to someone to get quick money. It sends shivers through me.
I’m not exactly sure what you mean by a purebred corgi being a goldmine for a puppy mill. A puppy mill’s sole purpose is keeping their female breeding dogs pregnant & pumping out puppies to sell with no regard to the health or well being of the doggy mamas.
The girl I’m looking at is fixed & if she wasn’t, that would be a priority for me to take care of.
As far as your snake man...I really like hamsters, so I wouldn’t like him or his snakes-yuck.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I wasn't necessarily talking about your potential dog, just using the breed as an example. I think Corgis and their little stubby legs are adorable, too.

A free, purebred, unfixed dog would absolutely be a huge target for puppy mill breeders. I was just giving another example of what can happen when dogs are rehomed without a fee. Glad to hear she's already fixed. I can't understand why everyone doesn't make this a priority for their pets.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I wasn't necessarily talking about your potential dog, just using the breed as an example. I think Corgis and their little stubby legs are adorable, too.

A free, purebred, unfixed dog would absolutely be a huge target for puppy mill breeders. I was just giving another example of what can happen when dogs are rehomed without a fee. Glad to hear she's already fixed. I can't understand why everyone doesn't make this a priority for their pets.
So true.

Seems awful nervy of them considering you’re helping them out, not the other way around.

I don’t have a $ for you, sorry.

In a moment of weakness last week, I almost rescued a dog. She is between 12-14 and is in a no kill shelter. They had eight (8!) pages of requirements and wanted $250. I said no way, not if she could have died a day after I signed the papers and they had no conditions for that.

If your girl is still there, tomorrow aug 18 is national ( I think it's national) clear the shelter day and they are all free.
I just wanted to let you know!

We did find a puppy this week from a rescue. They still have to come to the house but there shouldn't be any issue. When I get him he will be almost 10 weeks and had lots of time with his mama and siblings. The mama was rescued from a backyard breeder, so when she is done with the puppies they will spay her, socialize her and find her a home too !

Hi all, OP here...I arrived in Orlando today for vacation, yippee!
Anyway, my DBF has also been helping me look online for an adult corgi needing a new home & found a 7 y/o male. He called the woman, she is a hobby or “backyard” breeder.
She said she was asking $1500. He told her I was looking to spend about 1/2 that - she told him to have me call her.
Well I did call her yesterday. She yelled at me & hung up on me.
It was truly bizzare. What a weirdo.

Hi all, OP here...I arrived in Orlando today for vacation, yippee!
Anyway, my DBF has also been helping me look online for an adult corgi needing a new home & found a 7 y/o male. He called the woman, she is a hobby or “backyard” breeder.
She said she was asking $1500. He told her I was looking to spend about 1/2 that - she told him to have me call her.
Well I did call her yesterday. She yelled at me & hung up on me.
It was truly bizzare. What a weirdo.
Wow. $1500 for a backyard bred dog? No thank you.

I have a standard poodle that I purchased as a puppy from a breeder 12 years ago for less than that. Her parents were both AKC confirmation champions and her father was also an agility champion. Her parents were also thoroughly tested for genetic disorders (hips, eyes, sebaceous adenitis, etc). Now, I know that prices have probably gone up in 12 years but still ... $1500 for a 7 year old poorly bred dog? GMAB.

Have a great time in Orlando!

Last edited:
Not all shelters participate, but she can check the website.

I hope NJ & some surrounding areas aren't participating as this is apparently where a central dog fighting center is located. :( I'd rather the animals be humanely euthanized than given to scum like that.

The dog was paid for once. I don't see a need for a payment now. Finishing the fence would be the extent of my offer to take the dog.

I hope NJ & some surrounding areas aren't participating as this is apparently where a central dog fighting center is located. :( I'd rather the animals be humanely euthanized than given to scum like that.
There are over 2 dozen with 20 miles of my Home participating tomorrow.

There are over 2 dozen with 20 miles of my Home participating tomorrow.

Are they doing some plan, like the home visits someone else mentioned, to keep the dogs & cats safe? :eek: I know just visiting someone won't necessarily deter dog fighters determined to get dog bait, but it may keep the numbers down.

Are they doing some plan, like the home visits someone else mentioned, to keep the dogs & cats safe? :eek: I know just visiting someone won't necessarily deter dog fighters determined to get dog bait, but it may keep the numbers down.
I assume they still check them out, and not hand over dogs. You can’t even sell dogs and cats in pet stores in NJ.

Just a follow up on clear the shelters in the NYC metro area, lots of media coverage, with each shelter stating “you might not be able to take your animal home today, but you can get the process started...”

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I also read an article by a local NJ radio station, 101.5, which said, "Despite the discounted or waived fees, participating shelters note the typical vetting process is still in place to ensure their animals in need are headed to a safe place."

:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter