Reflections and Cabins at Fort Wilderness?

My guess is that this project, if it comes to pass, would indeed become a property added to the trust and possibly even added to the Cabins resort use plan.

One can certainly hope but of course by the time it goes on sale it may be near 300 a point by then sigh

My guide had told me that the permit was getting extended. Also, in the disclosure documents for the purchase of the cabins, there was a disclaimer (I don't remember the exact words) that there was no guarantee that Reflections would be added. Which, to me, means they are seriously considering it. I personally think it is the plan but they have to phase things in with all of the other sales.

I like how the recent issue of Disney Files taunts us by captioning the one picture Reflections of River Country.

I wouldn't worry about it. They've done used all the materials they purchased for Reflections for Poly Tower. 🤣

I think it’s unlikely that, if the new Reflections project is even a DVC, that it would be added to CFW. The CFW dues would swamp the new project, and just make their existing CFW problem worse.

Can't we just post a link to information on other websites rather than copying & pasting their work verbatim?
This has been bugging me a lot lately. It’s not like these sites are behind a paywall.

Copy-pasting an entire article is not only unfair to the creator, but also creates risk for this site as they’re then hosting copyrighted content they didn’t create or license.

Do we think Reflections could actually be another phase of the Cabins at Fort Wilderness?

Disney Requests 5-Year Extension for ‘Reflections’ DVC Hotel Permit Following COVID-19 “Delay”

A request has been filed by Walt Disney Imagineering for a 5-year extension on permits related to the development of a new Disney Vacation Club resort at Disney’s Fort Wilderness & Campgrounds. Largely considered to be canceled, it looks like Disney wants to keep their options open for the previously announced Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge.

The extension request is for Project 89 (phase 2), which would be the construction of Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge and the surrounding impacts to wetlands such as parking lots and backstage support buildings. The permit image below shows the main building in red, cabin-style buildings in blue, and the existing Pioneer Hall building in green.

In the request, Walt Disney Imagineering said that the construction is not yet complete and that it was delayed due to COVID-19:

Back in March 2018, we posted an article that said that Disney World was exploring the development of the land where the long-shuttered River Country water park used to be located. The exploratory project was called Project 89 and our early coverage of the permits included impact studies for land viability.

More than 6 months later, Walt Disney World officially announced that they were, in fact, going to build on the former River Country land and that an all-new nature-inspired resort would be built. This announcement came in October 2018 and Disney announced that the resort would open in 2022.

The deluxe resort, which would be themed to complement its natural surroundings, would include more than 900 hotel rooms and proposed Disney Vacation Club villas spread across a variety of unique accommodation types.

“This resort experience will be a celebration of Walt Disney’s lifelong love and respect for nature, with some fun and even surprising accommodation types that families will find irresistible,” said Terri Schultz, senior vice president and general manager of Disney Vacation Club. “It will give our members and guests yet another opportunity to stay in close proximity to all the newest attractions and experiences in our theme parks, and with the flexibility, value and world-class service families expect from Disney.”

Following the clearing of the former River Country site, the Reflections project appeared to be a COVID-era cut, along with a host of other projects around Walt Disney World. Fast forward to March 2022. The Reflections site is still sitting abandoned and Disney World announced that they’re going to build a new Disney Vacation Club tower at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. The resort is currently under development and is slated to open later this year.

While the recent permit extension isn’t absolute proof that Reflections – A Disney Lakeside Lodge is going to be built, Walt Disney Imagineering clearly wants to keep the project alive, and Disney has shown that they have an appetite for Disney Vacation Club properties.
Short answer: yes, they’re going to build reflections or a similar (possibly smaller) version of the original plan.

My guess is that this project, if it comes to pass, would indeed become a property added to the trust and possibly even added to the Cabins resort use plan.
I’m 99.9% certain the reflections DVC tower will be tied into the CFW trust. There was always 2 purposes to the trust - 1) simplify the ability to replace the cabins 20+ years down the road if necessary and 2) provide the ability to tie the cabins into the reflections property under the same association. This will likely bring down the dues per point, which is currently the main pain point of the cabins.

Building and making Reflections a combined resort with cabins is a possibility but not necessarily in the form one may assume. CFW is the first DVC trust resort and the current CFW, with only some cabins in it, is set up to be its own DVC Resort. Later, a separate DVC trust combination resort could be created with both Reflections and cabins which are not in the existing CFW resort, and that combined Reflections/Cabins DVC Resort would have its own 50 year existence separate from the existing CFW.

Last edited:
I think someone planned on Reflections followed by CFW to be part of the same association, but someone pointed out it was a mistake to build in that order. Imagine buying Reflections with normal dues, then they add CFW causing dues to jump by $1-$2 for all existing Reflections owners. That would not have gone well.

I believe they chose to first build CFW with high dues. People complain, slow sales. Then you add Reflections to it with a nicer pool/river area. Appearance is it saves CFW. Dues drop, so existing CFW owner’s are happy. Anyone buying Reflections (River County Lodge) knows the dues right away so they are not threatening Disney with lawsuits.

Short answer: yes, they’re going to build reflections or a similar (possibly smaller) version of the original plan.

I’m 99.9% certain the reflections DVC tower will be tied into the CFW trust. There was always 2 purposes to the trust - 1) simplify the ability to replace the cabins 20+ years down the road if necessary and 2) provide the ability to tie the cabins into the reflections property under the same association. This will likely bring down the dues per point, which is currently the main pain point of the cabins.
I agree, and I think that is why the dues are so high for CFW right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter