• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reading Challenge/Goals for 2024

6/40 Particles in the Air by Jenna Podjasek

A fiction story. In the wake of a natural disaster a new pandemic is released by Isis. This story follows a doctor from the CDC as they try to contain the virus.

I liked this book quite a bit. It takes until about the 25% completion point until it gets “good” IMO but the beginning is necessary for background.

4/5

6/40 Particles in the Air by Jenna Podjasek

A fiction story. In the wake of a natural disaster a new pandemic is released by Isis. This story follows a doctor from the CDC as they try to contain the virus.

I liked this book quite a bit. It takes until about the 25% completion point until it gets “good” IMO but the beginning is necessary
I might look into that one. I love a good disaster book. I have read the non fiction books Spillover and Breathless by David Quammen. Those books look at where HIV started and how Covid began, and they are pretty scary. Emergent diseases becoming airborn really worry the scientists.

3/25 Murder Straight Up. (Book 2 in the Maple Creek Mystery series) Liz Lamar

When Kelly’s best friend is accused of murder, she knows that it’s up to her to clear Lynn and find the real culprit.

4/30 Being Henry: The Fonz and Beyond by Henry Winkler

Henry Winkler’s autobiography covering his tumultuous relationship with his parents, his dyslexia, his instant fame as Fonzie, his marriage, and success later in life.

This was an audiobook read by Henry Winkler, which made it for me. It was easy to listen to and he seems like a down to earth guy. It was refreshing that he’s been married to the same woman for forty seven years (there are parts where she chimes in and reads her contributions to the book) and admits his many failures and imperfections.

3/30 - Bridgerton - The Duke and I - volume 1 of the Bridgerton series

I haven't read a romance novel in ages. I have heard about Bridgerton because of the Netflix series, but I have no interest in watching the show. I prefer good books and this one was a big surprise - it is a really well-written book, imo. Romance novels, especially Regency romances, follow a somewhat predictable formula, which this one does. But this one is very well done and I couldn't put it down. I've already started to read volume 2. :)

from library website:
The rakish Duke of Hastings will stop at nothing to hold the marriage-mongers and matchmakers of his town at bay, even if it means pretending to be engaged to the lovely Daphne Bridgerton, but strong feelings soon intervene on both sides of this convenient arrangement.

#4 - The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles.
Genre - Literary Fiction. I really enjoyed reading this book. The author is a good storyteller, at least to me he is.
In June, 1954, eighteen-year-old Emmett returns home to his younger brother Billy after serving fifteen months in a juvenile facility for involuntary manslaughter. They are getting ready to leave their old life behind and head out to sunny California.

But they're not alone. Two runaways from the youth work farm, Duchess and Wolly, have followed Emmett all the way to Nebraska with a plan of their own, one that will take the four of them on an unexpected and fateful journey in the opposite direction - to New York City.

1/30 The Tour by Jean Grainger
That sounds like my kind of book. I noticed that it was the first of a series. Are you going to continue on?

2/30 The Midwife of Auschwitz by Anna Stuart
I have that on my reading list. I know what people mean when they say that they are tired of reading WW2 novels. Such a sad time and such horrific things done to people. The Lilac Girls by Martha H Kelly comes to mind and what was done to them. The Rose Code by Kate Quinn is another good book.
Note: Book 1 of the series seemed to me to be a little over-involved with ship lingo, but I just plowed through those parts.
I tried reading it and couldn't get through it. It's been several years, maybe I'll give it another shot now that I know it gets better.
4/32 - Running Blind by Lee Child
Love Lee child's Jack Reacher series. I stopped reading them though at #18 because they were sounding so much the same. I may pick them back up again though.

4/30 Being Henry: The Fonz and Beyond by Henry Winkler
I have that one in my book stack. I really like him as a person and as an actor.
8/75 Assassins Fate. The third and final book in the Fitz and the Fool trilogy by Robin Hobb. Dragons, Live ships, old friends and magic. I admit to a few tears at the end.
That book series is so good! I hated for it to end too!

That sounds like my kind of book. I noticed that it was the first of a series. Are you going to continue on?
I’m not sure. I liked it, didn’t love it. But I plan on keeping it in mind for when I’m looking for something to read. Hopefully you’ll enjoy it!

9/75 The End We Start From by Megan Hunter A small little book written in a very tight and condensed way. Enviromental and personal disaster, love and motherhood. Lovely and surprising.

8/80 3.5/5

Premeditated Peppermint by Amanda Flowers.
An Amish chocolatier wants to know who fits the mold of murderer when a TV exec dies during a holiday special in this mystery by the Agatha Award-winner.

For her first Yuletide in the Amish community of Harvest, Ohio, former big-city chocolatier Bailey King is recreating a cherished holiday treat: peppermint combined with molten white chocolate. But her sugar high plummets when her former boyfriend walks into her candy shop Swissmen Sweets. New York celebrity chef Eric Sharp and his TV crew have arrived to film an authentic Amish Christmas. Bailey’s not about to let Harvest be turned into a sound bite. But the camera crew catches more than they bargained for when their producer is strangled to death—and Eric is the prime suspect.

With Bailey’s sheriff deputy boyfriend out to prove Eric’s guilt, her bad-boy ex tries to sweet-talk her into helping him clear his name…and rekindle their romance. Now, between a surplus of suspects and the victim’s own unsavory secrets, Bailey’s up against a killer who isn’t looking to bring joy to the world—or to Bailey—this deadly Noel . . .

This is the third book in the series. I have read some in the past, and I am ready for some light hearted reading.

#4 After That Night (Will Trent #11)

Fifteen years ago, Sara Linton's life changed forever when a celebratory night out ended in a violent attack that tore her world apart. Since then, Sara has remade her life. A successful doctor, engaged to a man she loves, she has finally managed to leave the past behind her.

Until one evening, on call in the ER, everything changes. Sara battles to save a broken young woman who's been brutally attacked. But as the investigation progresses, led by GBI Special Agent Will Trent, it becomes clear that Dani Cooper's assault is uncannily linked to Sara's.

And it seems the past isn't going to stay buried forever.

4/30 - The Viscount Who Loved Me - Julia Quinn - vol 2 of the Bridgerton series

This book was not as good as the first book in the series. I'm having fun reading the romance series, though, since these are easy to read.

from library website-
When notorious rake Anthony Bridgerton announces that he has chosen a prospective bride, he faces unexpected opposition when his intended's meddlesome sister Kate decides to protect her innocent sister from the wicked aristocrat.

4/30 - The Viscount Who Loved Me - Julia Quinn - vol 2 of the Bridgerton series

This book was not as good as the first book in the series. I'm having fun reading the romance series, though, since these are easy to read.

from library website-
When notorious rake Anthony Bridgerton announces that he has chosen a prospective bride, he faces unexpected opposition when his intended's meddlesome sister Kate decides to protect her innocent sister from the wicked aristocrat.
I love the Bridgerton TV series so much, maybe I need to read the books while I am waiting for the next one!

The Last Mrs Parrish by Liv Constantine. I really liked this.

An Offer From A Gentleman by Julia Quinn. I’ve finished the traditional series and have the prequels and sequels left.

I’m 6/25.

10/75 Nothing But Blackened Teeth by Cassadra Shaw. Another small book, this one a chilling haunted house tale. Very atmospheric and a bit brutal. Loved the descriptions of the house and ghost who inhabits it.

5/30 - An Offer from a Gentleman - vol 3 of the Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn

I liked this book much more than volume 2. It begins with a fun Cinderella type story. :) I really enjoyed it.

I will be giving the Bridgerton series a break, now, and go back to my typical favorite types of lit. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter