• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reading Challenge/Goals for 2024

4/40 The Couple’s Revenge by Daniel Hurst

A mom and dad take matters into their own hands when their son is bullied.

I did not care for this book. None of the characters were likable. It was predictable. 2/5

Book #3 - Bone Hacker by Kathy Reichs

Kathy Reichs returns with her twenty-second high-stakes thriller featuring forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan who, following a series of bizarre disappearances on the islands of Turks and Caicos, enters a sinister labyrinth in which a new technology may wreak worldwide havoc.

Called in to examine what is left of a body struck by lightning, Tempe traces an unusual tattoo to its source and is soon embroiled in a much larger case. Young men—tourists—have been disappearing on the islands of Turks and Caicos for years. Seven years ago, the first victim was found in a strange location with both hands cut off; the other visitors vanished without a trace. But, recently, tantalizing leads have emerged and only Tempe can unravel them.

Maddeningly, the victims seem to have nothing in common—other than the strange locations where their bodies are eventually found, and the fact that the young men all seem to be the least likely to be involved in foul play. Do these attacks have something to do with the islands’ seething culture of gang violence? Tempe isn’t so sure. And then she turns up disturbing clues that what’s at stake may actually have global significance.

It isn’t long before the sound of a ticking clock grows menacingly loud, and then Tempe herself becomes a target.

7/80 5/5
“Remarkably Bright Creatures“ by Shelby Van Pelt

I had to get over the idea of an octopus in prison, and put the book down because I couldn’t imagine it being a good book, but I am glad I started over. It’s a very good story!

5/40 Ask for Andrea by Noelle Ihli

This is told by 3 women who have been murdered by one man. They work together to bring him to justice.

Interesting premise. I did like the book but felt like it dragged towards the end. 3.5/5

I loved the TV series, didn't realize that more stories were being written. I tried reading the first book after watching the series and just couldn't get through it. I don't watch movies/tv shows that are based off a book first if I can help it.
Re: Longmire. I'm afraid of that also after watching the entire tv series.
Book #2 - A Cold Faint Heart - Karen Slaughter

An apparent student suicide has brought medical examiner Sara Linton to the local college campus, along with her ex-husband, police chief Jeffrey Tolliver. But a horribly mutilated corpse yields up few answers. And a suspicious rash of subsequent "suicides" suggests that a different kind of terror is stalking the youth of Heartsdale, Georgia—a nightmare that is coming to prey on Sara Linton's loved ones.

A small town is being transformed into a killing ground. And the key to a sadistic murderer's motive and identity may be held in the unsteady hands of a campus security guard—a former police detective driven from the force by the hellish memories that will never leave her. Lena Adams survived the unthinkable and has paid a devastating price. Now the survival of future victims may depend upon her ... when she can barely protect herself.
I loved the Grant County series.
I’m on a roll😁. 4/25.

A is for Alibi and B is for Burgler. Both by Sue Grafton.

I have a hold for the next couple.
Another great series!

6/75 Fools Assassin by Robin Hobb. This is book 1 in a 3 part series that will finish up the story of Fitz Chivalry and The Fool. This series also ties up her overall story of The Realm of The Edderlings which is a 16 book series that is one of my all time favorites. The Edderling series is stunning in scope and the world she builds is amazing and complete. The first book in the series is Assassins Apprentice where you meet Fitz Chivalry as a child. I can't recommend the entire series enough and if you are a fantasy fan I think you are in for a treat if you read it.

2/30 The Midwife of Auschwitz by Anna Stuart

Inspired by a true story this tells the story of midwife Ana and her young assistant Esther who, through different circumstances, find themselves in the most horrific circumstances, yet still able to help the pregnant prisoners In their time of need.

This was so heartbreaking and difficult to read but I had to see it to the end. I had decided I was done with WWII books for a while as I was reading it but at the end I realized there was a sequel, so I guess I’ll be reading one more, lol.

2/30 The Midwife of Auschwitz by Anna Stuart

Inspired by a true story this tells the story of midwife Ana and her young assistant Esther who, through different circumstances, find themselves in the most horrific circumstances, yet still able to help the pregnant prisoners In their time of need.

This was so heartbreaking and difficult to read but I had to see it to the end. I had decided I was done with WWII books for a while as I was reading it but at the end I realized there was a sequel, so I guess I’ll be reading one more, lol.
I have felt exactly the same way about reading about the horrific events of WWII. I have to take a break.

#3/50 Identity by Nora Roberts
Typical story of identity theft. Good in parts but was way too long. Kept me interested but thought I would never finish it.

2/30 - China Dolls - by Lisa See - 4/5

from library website: "In 1938, Ruby, Helen and Grace, three girls from very different backgrounds, find themselves competing at the same audition for showgirl roles at San Francisco's exclusive "Oriental" nightclub, the Forbidden City. Grace, an American-born Chinese girl has fled the Midwest and an abusive father. Helen is from a Chinese family who have deep roots in San Francisco's Chinatown. And, as both her friends know, Ruby is Japanese passing as Chinese. At times their differences are pronounced, but the girls grow to depend on one another in order to fulfill their individual dreams. Then, everything changes in a heartbeat with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Suddenly the government is sending innocent Japanese to internment camps under suspicion, and Ruby is one of them. But which of her friends betrayed her?"--

This is the third book that I've read by this author. I enjoyed the story very much but not as much as "Snowflower and the Secret Fan" and "Lady Tan's Circle of Women". "China Dolls" is told by the three main characters, with each chapter told by one of the women. I felt that there wasn't enough variety in the three "voices" to know which character was speaking without looking at the chapter heading. But it was an interesting story and I learned a lot about the period in time in the Chinese entertainment industry, Lisa See does a lot of research for her books, and it shows. :)

Three books so far, none spectacular.

#1-"Murder in the Book Lovers Loft", Ellery Adams, 3 stars.

#2-"Happiness", Danielle Steel, 3 stars. Generally I enjoy DS's books, but this one was a little too unbelievable

#3-"Prisoners of the Castle", Ben Macintyre. A true accounting of the POWs' treatment in a large, supposedly escape-proof castle-Colditz-in WWII. It was too just factual, with little emotion. 3 stars.

3/32 - Then Christmas Happens by Jeff Dixon

Description:
"It is just an ordinary day—then Christmas happens! It is Christmas Eve in the most magical place in the world, the Walt Disney World Resort. As Grayson Hawkes prepares for a quiet Christmas his world is suddenly turned upside down with the arrival of a baby in the most unusual place showing up in the most unusual way. Hawk unexpectedly finds himself hurled into a Christmas mystery that takes him and his friends to the edge as they fight for the baby in the manger on Christmas Eve. Author Jeff Dixon once again weaves fact, history, and trivia to create his first ever action novella. As only he can, Dixon offers Disney fans their ultimate holiday wish—the adventure of experiencing Walt Disney World from the inside out."

This is a short Christmas novella that takes place in the Magic Kingdom at WDW. I had read the author's previous Disney novels and enjoyed all of them. This one was just OK. It needed editing pretty badly, and some of the grammatical mistakes distracted from the story. I enjoyed the story overall though, and will read more from the author if he writes more books.

Happy New Year! After finishing 2023 with David Grann's The Wager (quite good, but short), I decided to stick with the nautical historical theme and started the Master & Commander series by Patrick O'Brian. Set in the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars, these books are ripping yarns. Great historical novels, good plots, great characters, some social drama, etc. I've read three so far and am enjoying myself immensely. Note: Book 1 of the series seemed to me to be a little over-involved with ship lingo, but I just plowed through those parts. The second and third novels had much less of that, or maybe I'd just gotten my "sea-legs" and got used to it, ha ha. Plots are getting better as I go, and Book 3 "HMS Surprise" was awesome.

3/30 Keep Your Friends Close by Lucinda Berry

A mom’s night out goes horribly wrong when one ends up dead and three of her friends turn out to have secrets, betrayals, and motive.

Someone recommended this to me saying the last few chapters were the payoff. I wasn’t really enjoying the book but pressed on and yes, a lot of twists in those last chapters but for me, it wasn’t worth it. I found every character so unlikable that I didn’t even care about the twists.

2/25 Murder Sunrise: A Small Town Cozy Mystery. Liz Lamar (Maple Creek Mysteries Book 1)
- Kelly returns to her hometown following a decade away to discover that her Gram is the prime suspect in a murder. So it’s up to Kelly and her best friend to prove Gram innocent.

Good read, fun characters, and enjoyable. Hope to continue to see this lively bunch throughout the series.

Happy New Year! After finishing 2023 with David Grann's The Wager (quite good, but short), I decided to stick with the nautical historical theme and started the Master & Commander series by Patrick O'Brian. Set in the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars, these books are ripping yarns….
My husband read the whole series 20+ years ago following watching Master and Commander in the theater. He said it was a good series, and was bummed when they decided to not make a sequel movie.

4/32 - Running Blind by Lee Child

Description:
"Across the country, women are being murdered, victims of a disciplined and clever killer who leaves no trace evidence, no fatal wounds, no signs of struggle, and no clues to an apparent motive. They are, truly, perfect crimes. In fact, there’s only one thing that links the victims. Each one of the women knew Jack Reacher—and it’s got him running blind."

This is book #4 in the Jack Reacher series. I enjoyed this one a lot.

7/80 5/5
“Remarkably Bright Creatures“ by Shelby Van Pelt

I had to get over the idea of an octopus in prison, and put the book down because I couldn’t imagine it being a good book, but I am glad I started over. It’s a very good story!

I adore this book, I picked it up a whim and absolutely loved it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter