READ POST 1 & 2 FIRST-Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Planning and Information-*No Spoilers*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping for the same HS day as you were, but am now coming to the realization that the quest for a ROTR BG has changed the typical rope drop experience. Our trip is over Pres Day too. For the next month, I will be watching:

1. Speed of BG distribution
2. Park Hours
3. Wait times on other rides at park opening

Depending on those factors, we might add PHs to our base tickets. From recent reports, it sounds like that might be our best option.

Wait, I just reread what I wrote and realized that with BGs Disney has created a way for me to spend more money. How unexpected! 😂
Yeah same here. These days that BG distribution is in the 1-2 minute range, it really means you could have completely wasted your morning and not gotten a BG. 15 min is at least telling me that if you get there before open, you'll get a BG.

We don't park hop, too many little kids, so not sure it would be worth it just for this.

So are they giving out less of the regular BG’s & more backups? Seems quite early in the day for all the initial BG’s to be done?

they are flying today it seems like. Averaging over 13.5 BGs an hour. Might get to 158 today with closing an hour earlier than previous days

So are they giving out less of the regular BG’s & more backups? Seems quite early in the day for all the initial BG’s to be done?
I’ll say this again - I would pay little attention to the number of regular BGs being issued. The factor that matters is how many total BGs are accommodated each day. There is not much to glean from the number of regular BGs IMO.

Disney probably was playing it safe today after operational issues yesterday. They don’t want to be issuing 1 day tix to everybody and their brother.

Yes, high crowds are likely to continue and HS often responds by opening an hour earlier, possibly posting the change a week or even day before. Definitely watch for that.

If inside HS before official open and BGs are available for 20 minutes then your chances are near 100%, but we've seen several days this past week where regular BGs closed in under 5 minutes. Many guests with tech issues ended up with a back-up or nor BG at all. I'd watch that availability window closer to your trip as well.

It's not the nightmare it seems though. Back up groups can see availability for an hour or more, sometimes several hours. And the back ups are getting to ride much more often than not. The stress comes from thinking about the worst cases but for the majority of guests, they are riding RoR without too much hassle.

Thanks! This makes me feel better. I don’t mind putting in the effort but I would like a reasonable chance of success.

Hi everyone! New to this thread. Many thanks to all for the outstanding and comprehensive information. Trying to digest it all.

We will be at HS Sunday, February 2. Currently park open is 9:00. So, would we follow the same timeframe others are using for the 7:00 open, but two hours later? Might Disney change the opening time to 8:00?

Will certainly be following the thread for updates.

Hi everyone! New to this thread. Many thanks to all for the outstanding and comprehensive information. Trying to digest it all.

We will be at HS Sunday, February 2. Currently park open is 9:00. So, would we follow the same timeframe others are using for the 7:00 open, but two hours later? Might Disney change the opening time to 8:00?

Disney recently moved your EMHs from morning to evening that day. They extended Feb 1st to 8am but haven't yet touched Feb 2nd. I'd say it is very likely that your park opening gets moved to 8am. The weekend prior they are doing 7am opens on Fri/Sat/Sun so there's even an outside chance of that happening (that is less likely than simply moving to 8am though).

I am not sure they will keep punting on morning EMH at DHS, here's why:

Once ROTR opens at Disneyland they will have essentially a live test of how to do BG with EMH 3 times a week, since they have their early entry/MM, and unlike at DHS it's not exactly something they can move to the evening there. They have to figure it out.

So I imagine that when they find something that works in DL, that same plan will go to EMH at DHS pretty quickly.

I am so thankful for all of you who have posted on this thread! We are going MLK weekend (HS day is Sunday) and I just moved our hotel from Disney Springs area to Dolphin- I figure it will make it easier to walk! My family isn’t thrilled with the whole leave the hotel at 6am- stand around to 7am (at least) but we love Star Wars so I think it will be worth it! I promise to report my experience on the 19th!

yes, theoretically just push all the times mentioned here for a 7am opening back 2 hours. I would say perhaps look to arrive a bit earlier than you might for an earlier opening just b/c I could see more people prepared to make it to a 9am vs 7am opening so might take longer to get through security, etc.

And I do think there is a good chance opening gets moved to 8am, but will just have to wait and monitor

To those people complaining that RotR has ruined the Studios and rope drop.
Shame on Disney for opening such a great ride😂😂
No, not shame on Disney for opening a great ride but perhaps shame on Disney for changing a great system that allowed early arrivals to guarantee a BG and still have great early morning ride access to the rest of the park. The flaw with the current BG system is that the park is probably at its busiest early in the morning.
Yes, high crowds are likely to continue and HS often responds by opening an hour earlier, possibly posting the change a week or even day before. Definitely watch for that.

If inside HS before official open and BGs are available for 20 minutes then your chances are near 100%, but we've seen several days this past week where regular BGs closed in under 5 minutes. Many guests with tech issues ended up with a back-up or nor BG at all. I'd watch that availability window closer to your trip as well.

It's not the nightmare it seems though. Back up groups can see availability for an hour or more, sometimes several hours. And the back ups are getting to ride much more often than not. The stress comes from thinking about the worst cases but for the majority of guests, they are riding RoR without too much hassle.
This is what I'm hoping for for my DHS day on 1/15. A last minute hours change to move the opening time from 8:00 to 7:00 would be great. You have to figure that a bunch of people wouldn't know about a last minute change and the park will probably be a lot emptier from 7:00 - 7:45.

Up to 159 now just shy of 5:00. Really opening things up too with lots of BGs called back. Unsure if that means the ride is performing really well or if they're just starting to "load up the line".

The good news...a complete recovery from yesterday's rough day! And it appears that any recovery FPs issued yesterday did not hold them back :D

Not that you have a lot of control over this...but it sounds like you really want to avoid having BGs that get called 3 hours or less from closing. This pattern of "suddenly calling a lot of BGs" in the last hour (i.e. between 3 & 2 hours before the park closes) probably makes wait times way longer. And people have also mentioned that this messes with the flow of the pre-shows too for some reason...

Again, I'll be happy to simply have a BG and get to experience the ride. But I'm also really hoping for one that gets called back in the morning or afternoon...

Based on my tracking of this the last few days, if there are not too many delays I would expect BG 66 to be called between 11 AM and noon. It was a little after noon yesterday because of longer delays.

I just wanted to thank you for replying this morning. My DD's group (66) did in fact get called at 11:15...just as you predicted. I gave her your estimate and she was able to pretty accurately plan her morning. Thanks again!

After ruminating on this whole thing at work today (can you believe my boss made me go to work on ROTR day?!?)...I feel that even though it worked out OK for my DD, there is something that just doesn't sit right with me from a fairness standpoint. First come isn't necessarily first served. Technical glitches can't be predicted or prevented. Fastest fingers or WiFi connection wins out over arrival time. But, honestly, I can't think of a better solution. Any system that relies on a first-come-first-served premise is going to have people showing up at ungodly hours. But, it does irk me when I see someone who arrived at 6:40 say they got BG 12, and a few posts later you see someone who arrived at 6:00 got BG 94.

I did ask my DD what she thought about the ride and her response was "AWESOME!!!" I asked her if it was worth getting up at 5:00 and she said "ABSOLUTELY!" So, I guess that's saying something considering they are two college kids who typically don't see much besides the inside of their own eyelids before 10:00 am.

But, if she had had a technical glitch and didn't get a BG, her answers would have obviously been way different. And, that easily could have happened. They were there before 6:00 a.m. this morning; I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to get up that early and see people who arrived after you get in.

For now, I am going to ponder on the perfect BG distribution method that is fair and equal...I am sure Disney is anxiously awaiting my thoughts...:idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter