Questions for first time booking DCL

Wendysofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
The kids have been wanting to go on "the Mickey boat" and the timing is finally right to think about booking a cruise. I saw where the 25-26 cruises go on sale soon, but we won't know our school calendar until Thanksgiving or Christmas. Do the October cruises out of FL sell out quickly? We'd want to buy trip insurance, since we've had some trips in the past changed due to someone in the family getting sick. How does DCL trip insurance work? Add it when we book? What part is refundable without insurance and up until what date? Did I read correctly that child prices on DCL are thru age 12, not age 10? (My oldest turns 10 during the 25-26 year.) How do the payments work, and if I use a Disney visa, does it qualify for 6 months no interest? My friends come to me for help planning WDW vacations, but I am so clueless about DCL. Thanks in advance!

My answers bolded

Do the October cruises out of FL sell out quickly? Not unless it's something super unique and even then it just gets cost prohibitive, if it's one of the standard 3/4 or 7 night itineraries, I wouldn't worry about selling out

We'd want to buy trip insurance, since we've had some trips in the past changed due to someone in the family getting sick. How does DCL trip insurance work? Add it when we book? Add at booking. If you're booking concierge, payment is due at that time but if you're booking a normal stateroom, you don't pay for it until Paid in full

What part is refundable without insurance and up until what date? It's in the terms and conditions but here you go
1719329554062.png

Did I read correctly that child prices on DCL are thru age 12, not age 10? (My oldest turns 10 during the 25-26 year.) I don't know, mine are both under 10

How do the payments work, and if I use a Disney visa, does it qualify for 6 months no interest? Pay as much or as little as you want until the payment deadline and yes the payments are 6 months no interest.

You will owe a deposit of 20% of the fare at the time of booking. Unless you book a concierge room (or a special sailing such as in Inaugural) that deposit is fully refundable for any reason up until the final payment date, 90 or 120 days before the cruise. The rest of your fare will be due on that date, but can be paid earlier. Penalties after that date are as listed above.

If you use a Disney Visa, you can take up to 6 months to pay off each cruise payment without paying interest. That's 6 months for the deposit, 6 months for the final payment, and 6 months for any interim payments you make. Your credit card bill will show the interest-free amount and the date at which interest will start being charged.

DCL insurance covers only expenses booked through DCL, so if you will have non-refundable flight or hotel reservations before or after the cruise, you may want to look into other insurance that would cover the entire trip. A helpful feature if you book through DCL is that if you cancel for a non-covered reason (for example, pet sitter cancels, sports team unexpectedly makes state finals during your cruise, or beanstalk falls on the freeway that you need to drive on) you will get a credit for up to 75% of the non-refundable cruise fare that can be applied to another cruise during the next year.

It’s a percentage of the adult fare for the cabin type.

Here’s an example of reduced pricing for under 17, using
Child 1 age 14
Child 2 age 10
Child 3 age 2

IMG_7798.jpeg

Third and fourth adults are the same price as 13-17 yo.
An adult with child will pay 2 full fares; no kid discount until 3 guests.
Child discount is age 3-12
Under 3 is reduced child price

Some weeks in October are busier, as schools near me (Alabama) have fall break the first week. If you pick a standard cruise, like the Wish, that has a year-round fixed schedule, you may not have the same issue of selling out (or, more importantly, significantly increasing in price).

I'm going to tag along on this thread even though it's not our first time booking, because it will be my first time calling in to book (with a placeholder). What information besides CC numbers will I need for each of us? I want to be ready with everything I'll need. TIA!

I'm going to tag along on this thread even though it's not our first time booking, because it will be my first time calling in to book (with a placeholder). What information besides CC numbers will I need for each of us? I want to be ready with everything I'll need. TIA!

I called in to book with a placeholder, I just needed the placeholder number, the ship/sailing and the room number I wanted and my guest's names? I think. I really don't remember, the person on the other end basically pulled everything from my profile.

I might have given her my CC number, but I didn't give her the kids numbers (I didn't know them)

I called in to book with a placeholder, I just needed the placeholder number, the ship/sailing and the room number I wanted and my guest's names? I think. I really don't remember, the person on the other end basically pulled everything from my profile.

I might have given her my CC number, but I didn't give her the kids numbers (I didn't know them)
Thanks! That will make it much easier!

Thanks! That will make it much easier!
I wasn't booking on opening day so it was a super quick call, she also added in celebrations. We're booked on the August 16-23rd sailing next summer and basically everyone's birthday except mine falls between August 17-26 and she was like, "oh you're celebrating all the birthdays"

I might have had to include the DOBs or confirm the ones on the file, as I was booking a cruise with a sailing party that basically already existed.

The kids have been wanting to go on "the Mickey boat" and the timing is finally right to think about booking a cruise. I saw where the 25-26 cruises go on sale soon, but we won't know our school calendar until Thanksgiving or Christmas. Do the October cruises out of FL sell out quickly? We'd want to buy trip insurance, since we've had some trips in the past changed due to someone in the family getting sick. How does DCL trip insurance work? Add it when we book? What part is refundable without insurance and up until what date? Did I read correctly that child prices on DCL are thru age 12, not age 10? (My oldest turns 10 during the 25-26 year.) How do the payments work, and if I use a Disney visa, does it qualify for 6 months no interest? My friends come to me for help planning WDW vacations, but I am so clueless about DCL. Thanks in advance!
An October cruise is unlikely to sell out at all, and if it does sell out, will likely only sell out a month or two before the sailing. October is low season because it's high hurricane season, which lasts from August through October. (Official hurricane season lasts from June through November, but the vast majority of hurricanes occur from August through October.)

Last edited:

I sent you a direct message that might help with some of your questions.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest