Questions & Comments on the new daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
CM impersonation has always been a possibility.

For those who are truly concerned about an imposter, I would imagine there could be a system in place where the guest can call the front desk and check and make sure a legit CM has been sent to the room.
Except that because of this new policy, guests are being conditioned to open the door when there is a knock.

Except that because of this new policy, guests are being conditioned to open the door when there is a knock.

I find that highly offensive. People are not animals to be "conditioned". I would hope it is more ingrained to use the peephole (you know, a basic safety tool) that is to whip open the door without checking who is on the other side. And having the latch on too.

Everyone still needs to use their brains. But there is a difference between truly feeling unsafe and wanting to be a jerk about the whole policy. The odds of someone wanting to pull off a room invasion someplace where there are thousands of people around and hundreds of cameras are probably teen tiny. Keep the latch engaged, and call down if you truly don't feel the person on the other side of the door is from Disney.

I find that highly offensive. People are not animals to be "conditioned". I would hope it is more ingrained to use the peephole (you know, a basic safety tool) that is to whip open the door without checking who is on the other side. And having the latch on too.

Everyone still needs to use their brains. But there is a difference between truly feeling unsafe and wanting to be a jerk about the whole policy. The odds of someone wanting to pull off a room invasion someplace where there are thousands of people around and hundreds of cameras are probably teen tiny. Keep the latch engaged, and call down if you truly don't feel the person on the other side of the door is from Disney.

No need to be offended. Ever heard of Pavlov?

Sure they need to use a peephole. But how do you tell an imposter by looking through a peephole?

And honestly, it's just human nature. The more often you do it, the more likely it is that someone is going to get careless and open the door with their guard down.

Pavlov's Dogs? Yes.

I would ope the more ingrained response is to protect your family. So maybe in some strange way this is a good thing. A reminder to be careful, even at Disney World.

CM impersonation has always been a possibility.
But now we have a situation where we supposedly MUST let someone enter who comes knocking — not optional. And in the name of security.

That creates an entirely different imperative than a CM coming to clean a room or empty trash, whom I can ask to come back later.

And when you read some of these aggressive accounts, I think it’s difficult to conclude that this new policy does not increase the chances of a bad outcome.

Last edited:

I find that highly offensive. People are not animals to be "conditioned".
Wait — you’re not ACTUALLY offended at the idea that Pavlov’s research has applicability with humans, right? It’s been a while since my college minor in psychology, but a quick google search will turn up info on the application of classical conditioning techniques in behavioral therapy. Hardly controversial or something to be offended by.

Most people are already conditioned to do this. At a hotel- any hotel- and we hear a knock and someone says “Housekeeping” or “Security” or “Maintenance” and we open the door.

Some people are more cautious than others, but many just open the door.

A couple of weeks ago at Beach Club a housekeeper came in to check the room for the scheduled power outage that was going to happen at 11 am. She knocked and announced herself. I opened the door. She completed something in her checklist and left. Things like this happen all the time.

The biggest concern I have about the new checks is leaving my child in the room. I’ve left my eleven year old in the room while I went to get drinks in the food court and I’ve told her not to open the door for anyone. It would be pretty scary for her to have someone walk in on her while she was in the room by herself. Of course, if we have scheduled housekeeping, then supposedly that wouldn’t happen.

With children left alone in the room for short amounts of time, are they tall enough to use the security bar on the door? Why not just have the child secure the door when an adult leaves and open it when a parent returns? If security comes to check the room, they can wait until a parent returns and then check the room. Disney may not like it, but forcing a child to let an unknown adult into a private room when parents aren't there would not be a good news story for them.

Most people are already conditioned to do this. At a hotel- any hotel- and we hear a knock and someone says “Housekeeping” or “Security” or “Maintenance” and we open the door.

Some people are more cautious than others, but many just open the door.

A couple of weeks ago at Beach Club a housekeeper came in to check the room for the scheduled power outage that was going to happen at 11 am. She knocked and announced herself. I opened the door. She completed something in her checklist and left. Things like this happen all the time.

The biggest concern I have about the new checks is leaving my child in the room. I’ve left my eleven year old in the room while I went to get drinks in the food court and I’ve told her not to open the door for anyone. It would be pretty scary for her to have someone walk in on her while she was in the room by herself. Of course, if we have scheduled housekeeping, then supposedly that wouldn’t happen.
My only point is that the more often people do this, the more likely they are to let their guard down. Now instead of it being something occasional, it's happening every day and they are learning to expect it.

And yes, I'd be concerned leaving a child in the room now too. But that's the sort of thing that happens when you go from "do not disturb" to "room occupied".

Arguing over theoretical dire consequences that just might happen in some possible future doesn't really fit with this board's mission of providing trip planning assistance. I think this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter