Question about using Disney Gift Card for OBC

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I called Disney and applied $1,000 Disney Gift Card for OBC to be used on our cruise. Calculating all that we have planned I think I'll be a little short so I'm planning on calling to add another gift card, but that will put us over what we are planning to spend so there will probably be money left over. Do I need to bring the gift cards with me on the cruise? I know that whatever we don't spend will be credited back to the card, I'm just wondering if I need to have the card physically with me on the ship? If I have two gift cards on file do they just pick one to put the remaining balance back on?

You don't need to have the cards in-hand. I believe they will initially use the 1st gift card you applied. Assuming that balance is all spent, and you have applied a 2nd gift card, any remaining unspent balance after the cruise should be applied to the 2nd card. You could wait to apply the 2nd card onboard after seeing how much you are spending in the early part of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Although when I used a gift card to buy onboard credit ahead of time, I was told that it would go back to the credit card on file (or you'd have to get cash back on the last night when you close your account if you're on a cash-only basis) because you're not applying the gift card funds directly to the reservation but literally buying onboard credit.

If you want the balance to go back to your gift card, you should just apply it at Guest Services onboard the ship.

I didn't have any leftover, so I don't know if that is the case for sure. But it makes sense.

I called Disney and applied $1,000 Disney Gift Card for OBC to be used on our cruise. Calculating all that we have planned I think I'll be a little short so I'm planning on calling to add another gift card, but that will put us over what we are planning to spend so there will probably be money left over. Do I need to bring the gift cards with me on the cruise? I know that whatever we don't spend will be credited back to the card, I'm just wondering if I need to have the card physically with me on the ship? If I have two gift cards on file do they just pick one to put the remaining balance back on?

Check your balance on the first gift card. Does it show as zero as Disney has already pulled the funds? If so, I would transfer the funds from the second gift to the first so that you only have one gift card to be concerned about.

Although when I used a gift card to buy onboard credit ahead of time, I was told that it would go back to the credit card on file (or you'd have to get cash back on the last night when you close your account if you're on a cash-only basis) because you're not applying the gift card funds directly to the reservation but literally buying onboard credit.

If you want the balance to go back to your gift card, you should just apply it at Guest Services onboard the ship.

I didn't have any leftover, so I don't know if that is the case for sure. But it makes sense.
Wait so the gift card I gave them wouldn't get the money back the credit card would? That would be annoying because I bought the gift cards and it's my husbands credit card on file. I'd much rather have it back on the gift card.

Check your balance on the first gift card. Does it show as zero as Disney has already pulled the funds? If so, I would transfer the funds from the second gift to the first so that you only have one gift card to be concerned about.
It does show zero, so if I shift the money onto that card I'd just call the cruise and tell them the same card number?

Wait so the gift card I gave them wouldn't get the money back the credit card would? That would be annoying because I bought the gift cards and it's my husbands credit card on file. I'd much rather have it back on the gift card.

It does show zero, so if I shift the money onto that card I'd just call the cruise and tell them the same card number?

That is what I was told. Because you are literally buying onboard credit.

If you want it to for sure go back on the gift card, you should see if you can cancel the extra OBC and then just apply that to your account once onboard. OR leave the account on a cash-basis and then you’d get cash back for unused OBC at the end of the cruise.

That should work, or you can just wait until you get onboard.

If you are concerned that some funds may be returned to your credit card, I would wait to add more OBC.

Make sure you get to the first $1000 that you already added. Then you can add whatever else you need to cover expenses. That way you know that if there are leftover funds, that they do not go back to the credit card.

That should work, or you can just wait until you get onboard.

If you are concerned that some funds may be returned to your credit card, I would wait to add more OBC.

Make sure you get to the first $1000 that you already added. Then you can add whatever else you need to cover expenses. That way you know that if there are leftover funds, that they do not go back to the credit card.
Thanks I'll do it that way. When I added everything up not including the gratuities it was under $1,000, with that added in it's just slightly above. I figure we will probably buy something like drinks or a gift thats not pre-planned so wanted to cover that. Adding the second giftcard onboard seems like the best route.

I've never called in ahead of the cruise to apply a gift card. I'll wait until we are at sea and the line isn't long at guest services and have them apply the GC to the on-board account. The last cruise I was on (summer 2018) you can now monitor your on-board account balance on the DCL app or in you stateroom...makes it a little easier to see current spending levels. So you can use that to apply or an additional GC to on-board account at guest services.

When I used multiple gift card to place and onboard credit I was told to keep all gift cards as any balance unused would be applied to the card it was originally taken from. Also on our last trip 2 weeks ago we had an OBC, we placed 500 on our account using our Disney Visa and as a surprise MIL put 200 on our account for the spa and she did it before we did our. DCL guest services told us they use the funds in the order they were placed on our account. My money was the last placed on the account, and when we got off the cruise we actually had 65 left unused. It was placed back on our cc.

I hope this information helps. And if you are unsure, just call DCL and ask to speak to someone in the finance department - they are the one who handle the credits and will give you the answer you need.

Can Disney gift cards be used on board in the shops? Or do I need to apply them for on board credit as stated in the original question?

Can Disney gift cards be used on board in the shops? Or do I need to apply them for on board credit as stated in the original question?

I believe gift cards can be used in the gift shops onboard. But nowhere else - spa, room service, adult dining, theaters, gratuities, etc. Those are all charged to your stateroom account and you will need to apply the gift cards at Guest Services (or in advance).

Enjoy your cruise!

Can the gift cards connected to your cruise room be used to pay for excursions?
Whatever credit you put on your onboard account (whether via gift cards, cash, or other payment) can be used for anything that's charged to your onboard account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter