Question about ARMY basic..

bsjs0708

DIS Veteran
Ok so my son is leaving this Monday for basic. He says basic doesn't start til July 19th and it is exactly 9 weeks. So if basic starts on a friday and it is 9 weeks will he be graduating on a friday? I need to know so I can request time off. Also other than the extra clothes and hygien products and 50 $ should I get him a pre-paid calling card,cell phone? Also can he receive letters form home? What as parents can we do during basic to give him support?
TIA-Julie

My DH graduated on a Friday. We had family day on Thursday, graduation on Friday and then he was sent to his next location for AIT. They are not allowed to have cell phones on them in basic. They can take them with but they have to be packed away in the personal belongings I think with DH's group they got those things back (cell phones & other personal items) they day before family day.

You will be able to write but you will have to wait for him to send you all the info with the platoon, etc. Write letters often!!!! DH said getting mail was like Christmas time. (they have very limited times to call and most phone calls were very short - sometimes this will vary just depends on the drill sgt.) They will be very, very busy so don't expect to get as many letters back as you send but still keep sending them. I sent one a day to DH.

Mail Mail and more Mail. Care packages may not go over too good in basic, but the more letters and pictures the better. Don't worry about extra clothes he won't need them. Give your son a big HOOAH! from me.

It also depends on where he is going to basic. If he is going to an all male basic- benning or sill. Things will be a lot different than going to leonard wood or jackson( they are both co-ed) I know that they will get at least one phone call during reception (they will be issued all their uniforms and gear there) and then one phone call (within 72hrs) when they ship to their unit for training. I know that they were, maybe still are doing some testing with units at basic where they get some "extra" stuff, like going to the shopette, or use of their cell phone on sunday for xxx amount of time. during the first 3 weeks, all bets are off, most units get NO privelages, trying to get unit cohesion and get new recruits to think the army way (when told to do something, don't stop and ask why, just do it) as basic moves into blue and white phase, they will get less restriction and more privelages. another poster was correct, family day is usualy thursday and graduation is friday. your son should be able to tell you what day graduation will be. he may ship early, or late- all depends on how fast or slow they in-process and get thru medical, dental and everywhere else. your son will be asked who he wants invites sent to graduation (don't know if they still do this) and you should get a letter informing you about family day and what is expected of your son. you will not be able to take them off post on family day. and depending on when he goes to AIT (advanced individual training) he should be able to be free the rest of graduation day. most soldiers go to their AIT on sat and everyone will HAVE to be there friday night for bed check.
if you have anyother questions, ask away. I went thru basic at jackson. would much rather go thru in the winter than the summer, just too darn hot! I went thru fort sam (im a medic) in the summer- very hot and humid to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter