• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

I am thankful that my DD who is moving into a new apt today will have her own washer/dryer. She won’t have to go anywhere to do laundry. Under the circumstances of the world right now, that makes me happy. ( is that a silly thing to be thankful for?)
I am glad my daughter has her own w/d. DS does not.

We are working on getting a new version of our software in "code conplete", so today was busy for me.

Learned my son's school is going remote for the rest of the semester.

Went to our favorite food truck to pick up dinner then braved the grocery store for some stuff we need.

We are thankful for the mom and pop restaurants doing carry out dining, and the grocery store for being so good at restocking

Question and challenge for 3/18:

What are you thankful for today?

Challenge: Text, facebook messenger, call, email or however you communicate with two people today that you may not normally speak with regularly. We are all in this and need to reach out and bring everyone up out of the water to air together. We can do this.

I'm thankful:
...that DH already worked mostly from home before all this started, so his job is still in place.
...that my niece and nephew's little friend from school tested negative for the virus!!
...that we were able to go pick up DS's stuff from his college dorm today, and that we had nice weather for the drive.
...that McDonald's brought back the "Little Mac".

And I must be psychic, because I actually did that challenge yesterday! - I texted with my college roommate and checked on DH's aunt & cousin.

Fixed the food processor finally (a lil' dab of epoxy glue and a long skewer came in handy) and now I don't need to stimulate the economy, LOL.

DGD is deep in school work so I cooked on my own. Today, I'm in use the leftovers mode. Love when I do that as it makes space in the fridge w/o waste.

Had a pint of beef broth left so added carmelised onions and a little sherry to it and had a fast version of onion soup as a meal starter. Sliced smoked beef served on toasted pretzel rolls courtesy of a TX friend's backyard grill of a clod that she was kind enough to send some to me. Heated up the meat. Made a slaw and served it on the side next to some quick pickled radishes and cukes. Took 25 minutes to put this dinner together. Dessert was lemon gelato and gingersnaps.

I'm currently happy for the beautiful weather we are having.

I am super thankful that my sister's visit to Kauai where I live was 2 weeks ago and she came while it was still decently socially responsible to do so. I'm SUPER super homesick right now, my family is all new york based and I'm kind of alone here in Kauai, and it was so nice to see her for that dose of family before this crisis.

I am thankful that we did FaceTime with out Texas family because we had to cancel our upcoming visit. I am thankful to see the beautiful trees and flowers that are blooming this spring.

Best wishes to everyone posting!

I am so thankful that my mom who has been in assisted living was doing so well that she was able to go stay with my dad at their house and decided to do it before things got too bad.
(She has COPD, kidney and liver problems) Since then, the facility has stopped all visitors and had a terrible flu outbreak. So I am so happy that they are together and safe and only a mile from my brother and sister who can check on them and get them food so they can just stay home safe.

I am also grateful to have my two daughters home. The house is a bit noisier and messier now and I wouldn’t want it any other way!

I'm thankful I was able to get up this morning and this time not feel like crying. It's funny because yesterday was a gorgeous day and today is just awful in the NE area. Very rainy and raw! I guess the fact that yesterday was just so lovely and I couldn't get out and do what I wanted to do could have been part of it. It could also be the fact that I heeded advice from some lovely people here on this thread and I also came to realize that there are people out there who are a lot less fortunate.

Last edited:
It's grey and gloomy here. We're expecting heavy rain, possible severe thunderstorms and snow by tomorrow ~ so there's that. Happy First day of Spring! :p

DH is working from home today for the first time, but I love listening to his "work voice". :lovestruc:love1: Yum!

He's in the kitchen spread out at the kitchen table and I'm back in the office so I don't disturb him. :)

We may make a run to a favorite local craft brewery today to stock up on some beer for DH and grab a coffee while we're there. I go for the awesome coffee bar, DH goes for the awesome craft beer and we both love the awesome food.

It's a bit gloomy & drizzling here as well, but supposed to clear up. Tomorrow to be unseasonably warm, possible T-storms...I LOVE thunderstorms, so I'm hoping they hold off until I get home from work so I can enjoy them from the porch with a glass of wine:goodvibes,.
We ordered take out from local Italian place yesterday at lunch - two cars ahead of me, two cars behind me. The owners were bring food out to cars - they were soooo happy to see people there, and I was happy to see the cars pulling up and supporting the place.
Youngest is in the midst of a few interviews for a job in GA which starts in June. Hope he gets it - he wants it! Although we'll be sad to see him move away. But - I guess that is the way things are supposed to work ha ha! He's in the National Guard, so he's been told to be prepared to active at any time.
Our Great Dane got into the trash the other day, ate some stuff that was bad for him - he actually threw up whole sauce packets from a fast food place- Those little square ones ! It could have gone way worse, so glad he didn't suffer any complications. And we've put child locks on the trash can drawer now that he has discovered it!

This thread is great. It's a nice reprieve from everything. Today, I am grateful for:

- all the rain we got yesterday.
- my family is healthy & safe.
- my sister is getting a new dog today.
- the local Mexican restaurant is selling chorizo in bulk...local grocery store is out!
- making some homemade yogurt & sharing it with friends.
- my MIL finally deciding to sequester herself at home and not have contact with people for 2 wk.
- our local hospitals starting a strict no visitors policy today.
- our big fluffy fat orange cat.
- our chaotic black cat who takes flying leaps & bounces off the wall. She's hilarious.
- home schooling going ok so far.
- knowing that some day, Disneyland & WDW will re-open and it'll be a joyous day!

Happy Thursday!
It's dark gloomy and threat of thunder storms. Exactly what we need on first day of spring and a pandemic going on. We are tough and we can make it. I'm looking forward to pretty weather and sitting out on our deck and using the fire pit. Of course, I'm looking forward to sitting out there with my girl friends and lots alcohol and smores. It's going to happen. I have a plastic junk drawer calling my name today and I'm going to get it done and finished.

Today's dinner is pulled pork sandwiches, green beans with bacon and onions (kinda repetitive with the pork I know) and mac n cheese. We are having a friend over. She is single and lives alone and it'll be nice to have someone else talk with for few hours. My husband ate our cake so now I need to make something else for dessert. I'm thinking a fruit cobbler. I have plenty frozen fruit. I'm thinking tonight would be good twisted tea drinks to complete my Southern style dinner.

I'll be posting a question in the next posting and going to catch up what everyone is doing on the DIS. I'm so glad ya'll sticking it out and participating. I need the diversion of reading your stories as much as you need mine. I left my job in crisis intervention late DEC and I KNOW I'm needed there now but I can't. My health and treatments means I need to stay home. I told my friends in text my husband has me locked up like a national treasure and he is guarding Ft. Knox. I like being loved. I can accept it.

Something that gives me escape is music. It can transport me anywhere in my lifetime. I remember being in young teenage love and a boy playing a song on the radio for me or driving fast being a badass when I was 17 and thought I was invincible. The first time I sent my husband to deployment I got in my car and laid my head on the steering wheel crying like I had never cried before and prayed for a sign that I was strong enough for this life. I turned on the car and "I Will Survive" was playing. God does have a sense of humor. I love all kinds of music from the sad to the happy and dancing around like no one is watching.

Question: What song gets you up dancing or at least bopping? What is a love song that makes you think of teenage love or current love? What's a song you play when just need to be mad??

I am trying to be upbeat but it's been a hard morning. I am visiting my sister/nieces. She is a single mom, been through a bad divorce, and runs her own small shop in a tourist town. She had JUST paid for stock for the summer when this all started. Of course she has no business at all, and almost no money in the bank as she ordered/paid for her stock. She's not sure where she's going to get the rent for their apartment, much less for the shop, and of course this isn't the best time to look for a job. We spent the morning making the rounds of the local grocery chains, gas stations, and liquor stores (all of which we figure will stay open) where she applied for jobs. She is 60... who hires 60-year-olds?- and has always been in business for herself. She is terrified, sad, depressed... and we can't help financially, as we have our own concerns (and honestly only about 3 months' mortgage in our savings account). She's off to work, to open a shop that will be empty all day, and I am headed home to deal with my life. This is going to be bad, I am afraid.

On the bright side... just went shopping at the "new" store in town, Aldi. I go to Aldi when I am in CT visiting DD, so it was nice to be able to pick up some of our favorite things locally (well, closer than CT, hahaha). Better news is, they are hiring so my sister put in an application! It's a sunny day here in Maine, about 50 degrees, great driving weather, and we are going walking in City Forest when I get home in a few hours- me, DH, and DD, who is here visiting as her school is shut down. Dinner tonight is chicken, and tomorrow I'll make corned beef and cabbage. I LOVE boiled dinner, but DH is only a once-a-year fan.. so this is IT!!

I don't have any experience in helping your sister but I did see someone financial talking head lady on Today show telling another small business to go to the small business site for each specific state and see about help available and that there are loans for small business available at very low interest rates to help float living or business or whatever needs to be done. I would suggest at least looking for guidance in that manner. I'm sorry you are all hurting. It's tuff time. I'm glad that you are both close enough to talk so openly and support each other.

Right now especially, I'm thankful for YOU, Tina, for making a place for anxious people like me to come talk about something else and get our minds off what's going on in this world. Seriously. I'm not sucking up to you, I am truly very grateful for this :hug:

I'm also thankful to all those who have shared ideas and programs to keep us and/or our kids occupied at this time. My son's preschool did close and this, his first entire day home, has already been challenging. He has not been receptive to many of the ideas, unfortunately, but there are so many out there that we will keep plugging away.

I wish I could tell the preschool's director that I am thankful for her. I was told yesterday that she got a lot of emails from parents, telling her that she was selfish and irresponsible, etc. for keeping the facility open. She is a lovely lady and doesn't deserve that, and I'm sure she was just trying to do what she felt was safe and appropriate.

I'm thankful that I and my family have our health, overall. I do have a history of upper respiratory infections - I seem get one every other month or so, in the cold weather - but I'm otherwise very healthy. I'm thankful that we have a safe, clean roof over our heads and food in our refrigerator, even enough to share with my elderly in-laws. I'm thankful that my husband is still able to work - for a small credit union, not a lot of people working in the office, and they've closed the teller lobby to customers - so we hopefully will be the rare ones who won't have to worry about a paycheck.

Praying that this thing goes away sooner rather than later...

You're so very welcome! I did this as much for me as anyone else. Ya'll might be tired of my stories of life by the time this all said and done or know more than you never wanted to know :chat:

How's the homeschooling? I have seen some super cute places trying to help with kids' activities. The Shedd aquarium cameras are super fun because they are letting the penguins loose everywhere. I also saw where there lots of stars reading book stories on camera or doing drawing classes. I also saw abcmouse is doing some free engaging things for kids your son's age. That might be helpful. It'll help by getting him started into a new routine. It'll help everyone actually not just him. Starting setting up expectations to help settle down routines. You are doing great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter