PTR: Our last big extended family vacation (we think!) August 2025!

Becky2005

DIS Veteran
I am excited to start a Pre-trip report. I actually have 2 trips plus a day trip planned.

The day trip is August 2024 with my siblings but that is a Florida trip with 1 day at Disney so no pre-trip report is needed. My other one is for 2026 for a trip with my friend and I will start on that pre-trip report later.

Anyway, enough rambling (I do that often!), that’s get started.

Vacation Background:

The last time we went on an extended family vacation was 2011. That time it was my sister's family & my family along with my mom. In that time our family has expanded. My sister & I are Grandmas now. We have been in talks for quite a while to do another extended family vacation as her grandson has never been to Disney World. My brother has a timeshare that he gets every odd year. After many different discussions August 2025 it is!

We do figure with everyone’s stage of life now and the cost, it will probably be the last time we are having a big extended family vacation. We aren’t even sure how many are committed to this one. As of right now we have at least 18 who have said they wanted to go.

Organizing this will be like herding cats but alas, we are willing to try! We did it once before, hopefully, we can do it again even though the dynamics are much different this time. The last time we went as a big group I had everyone pick out their top 3 rides for each park and then we worked around it. I also know we aren’t going to be staying together as a big group throughout the trip. The plan is to meet up for some meals and of course, if a big chunk of the group has the same thing on their must do list, we will probably end up doing that together.

Who is going?!? These are the ones that are planning to come (still subject to change with life):

Myself and my 3 adult sons: 2 of my sons have not been since 2011. My youngest & I just went in 2023. I am considered the planner although I’m 90% sure my daughter can out Disney plan me.

My daughter, her 2 sons along with her friend and their 2 kids. My Daughter is a huge Disney person, so she has been several times along with her kids. Her friend and their kids have never been.

My sister, her husband, and adult son. Her, her husband, and adult son. Last time they all were at Disney was 2011. My sister has gone more recently and will be on the 2024 day trip with me.

My niece, her husband, and son (my sister’s grandson): Last time they were at Disney was 2011 and they used it as their honeymoon. My great-nephew has never been.

My brother, his adult daughter, and his adult son: They did not go with us on the 2011 trip, so I do not know the last time his son & daughter went to Disney World. My brother has been more recently and will be on the 2024 day trip with me.

Reactions: DLo
Where are we staying?

All over. My brother has a couple timeshares and the original plan was we were all going to stay in his timeshares. We knew not everyone could fit.

However, my youngest really liked staying on-site on our previous trip and just hopping on busses to get where we needed to go. He was going to just book an on-site room again at the All-Stars. I personally do like the idea of not having to drive to the park every day (let’s just say we have very different type of touring styles than my siblings).

As of right now, the plan stands as:
  • My daughter has made her own on-site reservations.
  • My brother will be staying at his timeshare along with my Sister’s family (including my niece’s family). I’m not sure if they are doing both his timeshares or 1.
  • I’m booking 2 on-site connecting rooms at the All-Stars for me and my sons.
My daughter is the only one officially booked. I will be doing mine soon, I just had to sit down with the boys and decide if we are doing the dining plan yes or no. Pros/Cons to both ways and it was decided to go for the QS one. Hoping to get a deal but too early to know.

My brother can’t do his yet because it isn’t a year out but since we will be in Florida anyway this August, his plan is to go over there and reserve it in person.

Our Plans so far:
These are all over the place but alas with a big group that is bound to happen. Part of my sister’s family wants to go to Universal if Epic Universe is up by then. The rest of us don’t. We are also going to be doing MNSSHP assuming they keep it like they have been doing it.

Arrival day: No plans, Everyone is figuring out how to get to Disney World on their own, so arrival times will vary although we are all supposed to arrive on the same day. I know I am planning on driving and it will take me 2 days because I am not young enough to make it one day. I need those extra stops and rest time. It does seem most plan on driving but I have also heard some are considering flying.

Day 2: Universal for those that want to go and Animal Kingdom for the rest of us, since those going to Universal are OK skipping Animal Kingdom.

Day 3: Halloween Party. We are not getting day tickets for this day but will attempt to be in the park by 4 pm.

Day 4: EPCOT – thinking due to staying up late for Halloween Party this would be a good day to do this as it seems to be the park that opens a bit later plus we will have just been to Magic Kingdom the night before.

Day 5: Magic Kingdom

Day 6: Hollywood Studios

Departure Day: So sad, it is time to leave the mouse until the next time.

I know this will change quite a bit before it gets here and no downtime really built in, so we will see how that works out. I'm sure there will be some midday breaks in there. We have 1/2 the group that doesn't like coasters and thrill rides and the other 1/2 that does, so it will get interesting. That's where we are at right now.

Following! Woah, you have quite the task corralling all of that, but it sounds like so much fun!
Most definitely! Add in Disney always changing things and it will get even more fun. So many different touring styles mixed into a big group. Thank goodness we do all agree that we don't have to do everything together or it could end badly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter