PSA from the Florida HP about driving in summer rain ...

Kinda like that everywhere. Only supposed to use the four ways when stopped (or large commercial vehicles on divided highways when traveling under 40 mph). Doesn't stop the nuts who drive in the rain with the four ways flashing.

Florida law is that, when it's raining, motorists must have their headlights ON, and their hazard lights OFF. Our highway information signs notify drivers of that, and to my surprise, it is actually WORKING.

Now...if we can just get those yellow/white flashing lights on every pickup truck in Florida turned off!

Last edited:
Kinda like that everywhere. Only supposed to use the four ways when stopped (or large commercial vehicles on divided highways when traveling under 40 mph). Doesn't stop the nuts who drive in the rain with the four ways flashing.

In many states, it IS legal to use your flashers...This link is a list of the states it's legal/illegal to use your flashers, and for what reasons. Pretty comprehensive. https://www.ajc.com/news/national/u...es-use-could-cost-you/4GKuiHXYiiowRgq5CgPjLP/

Here is the main issue. There are a lot of places in the US that do not have rain like Florida has rain. What New Englanders call rain, we call a sprinkle. In the summer, we have can’t keep your eyes open, soaked through in 5 seconds, drenching downpours. Rain you should not be driving in if you’re not experienced. That’s why the rule about flashers. Trying to keep information for drivers simple, if you see flashers, the car is stopped for an emergency.

Being from New Hampshire I agree that we don't see anything close to the heavy downpour i witnessed one afternoon in Florida.

Here in Alabama, there are times we get the heavy downpours that you see in Florida. On occasion, you can only see a couple of feet in front of you or you can't even see the lines on the roadway. There have been times where i've had to slow down to 25 mph and still had a hard time seeing.

Contrary to probably half the drivers on the road, I slow down when the downpour is so heavy that it overwhelms your wipers and decreases your visibility. Plus, having hydroplaned off the road in the past, I know how easy it is to do even when you are not speeding in the rain.

I'm one of these guys that will turn on their hazard lights (legal to do here) when I'm going slow in heavy rain. Just to hopefully prevent some moron going 80+ from ramming me from behind.

That’s so weird. I didn’t think it was a law or illegal to turn on your flashers during heavy fog/rain. I thought it was just a common courtesy to let people know you’re there and moving slowly. Now I know I guess. :confused3

And there are also laws in many states that require you to have your headlights on when it is raining/snowing. Many people think that their running lights are sufficient. However, when those are on, your tail lights are not on. If you are following someone in heavy rain or snow,you won't be able to see that car in front of you. And if involved in an accident, the car without headlights on could be held responsible for the accident.
Denise

If that's Florida law, they should post it, as indicated above, that is NOT the law in many states. I remember years ago before a lot of states had lights on with windshield wipers laws, North Carolina had it posted that it was a law there. Like dreiwhit, if I am going very slow on a highway because of rain/snow conditions, I will put the hazards on. We may not get rain like Florida, but they don't get snow like we do!

If that's Florida law, they should post it, as indicated above, that is NOT the law in many states.
I'm sure that's why FHP is running the public service announcement.

And, as I mentioned above, we also have highway information signs that come on when it rains to tell people Headlights ON, Flashers OFF.

The assumption in the law, of course, is that motorists are responsible for knowing the law wherever we drive. But when laws vary so much from state to state, it would be difficult for everyone to be on the same page. I'm sure FHP knows that, and if you did violate the law they'd probably just give you a warning.

That’s so weird. I didn’t think it was a law or illegal to turn on your flashers during heavy fog/rain. I thought it was just a common courtesy to let people know you’re there and moving slowly. Now I know I guess. :confused3

Hazard lights to many mean you’re stopped. If you’re not stopped, it’s confusing to those behind you.

And, as I mentioned above, we also have highway information signs that come on when it rains to tell people Headlights ON, Flashers OFF.

Hoping they used a different word. Flashers means something else to me.

Hazard lights is the proper word, I think.

(Was having extreme problems with finishing my response and then editing the “omg I’ll just post the partial answer” post. Glad I finally got back in!)

Last edited:
I thought it was OK too while on the highway if you have to reduce speed well below the minimum to let people know that your vehicle is moving slowly. I've done it myself in really heavy rain and snow. Off to check my state laws.

Hoping they used a different word. Flashers means something else to me.

Hazard lights is the proper word, I think.
Yeah, my bad...just got sloppy. The state does use the proper word, of course.

Hazard lights to many mean you’re stopped. If you’re not stopped, it’s confusing to those behind you.
If I see a car's hazard lights in front of me, I'd assume they're moving much slower than they normally would. I don't understand how it can be confusing if the lights are on and you're moving. Either way, a driver approaching a car that has it's hazard lights on should take care and be more prepared to slow down and/or stop.

If I see a car's hazard lights in front of me, I'd assume they're moving much slower than they normally would. I don't understand how it can be confusing if the lights are on and you're moving. Either way, a driver approaching a car that has it's hazard lights on should take care and be more prepared to slow down and/or stop.
It's not slow-moving vs stopped. In that situation, if they are moving slowly, you just hit them a few seconds later.

I think the main reason for the Florida law is that HAZARD LIGHTS are distracting -- especially if you're driving on a multi-lane roadway and half a dozen motorists are driving with their hazards on.

In heavy rain, it's all you can do to see the road without having to worry about what the person with their hazards on is thinking about doing. You have enough to worry about with people suddenly changing lanes to avoid puddles and other bizarre behavior. You would think that people would drive more cautiously when it's raining hard, but not in Florida! People leave their brains at home so they don't get wet.

I think the main reason for the Florida law is that HAZARD LIGHTS are distracting -- especially if you're driving on a multi-lane roadway and half a dozen motorists are driving with their hazards on.
Of course, one could make the argument that all the flashing lights and bill boards and various and sundry items around stores and theme parks are DESIGNED to distract you. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter