Princess 1/2 walkers?

Dreamer2012

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I am a real "newbie", but have talked my BFF into walking this marathon in 2012. We are registered, made our flights and hotel reservations and have begun "training". I would love to hear from anyone who has walked this before or who like us will be attempting this for the first time. We are terriffied :scared1:of being "swept" - I wanted to start this because I have read a lot about the runners and thier super times (wish we could do that...) but have not found a place for the walkers to talk about thier training strategies or get advice from other walkers....I hope some of you will help us newbies!

I feel your pain--I have nightmares about being swepted! If you do your training, you will be fine! I follow the Galloway method, doing 1 minute walking and then 1 minute of running. I have been so happy with it and it really helped my time. Google the Galloway plan, there is lots of info out there. I am new too, started running over the winter. I did a local 10 miler about a month ago and came in with about 14 minutes per mile. Try doing some local races to get the feel of it and improve your time. I have a blog about training for the Disney Princess. There is a link below. See you at the race! You will do great.

Thanks for the encouragement! We have just begun the Galloway program - but am finding the running very difficult. My friend ha a bit easier time of it - I think because she ran when she younger or sports teams and I did not. I was a swimmer/Diver - NO RUNNING NEEDED! Therefore I just can not get the form etc down - but I keep trying. I hold out very little hope that I will be able to run any of it - so I need to make sure that my walking pace is less than the 16 min per mile required. I have you done this race before? Would love to hear your experience if so....

Hi Dreamer, I'm not a walker but I am a runner...and a running coach and I very likely tell you why the running is so tough for you: You are running too fast. This is the single most common rookie mistake.

Here is the thing... when you train for endurance events, speed comes as a function of fitness. You increase your overall fitness by walking (or running) further and longer. The only way to accomplish this is by slowing down so that you can keep going. If during your run interval, if I ran up beside you and asked how your day is going...and you were too out of breath to respond, you are going too fast. It only takes a 70-80% effort to train, anything more than that is only exhausting you and actually slowing you down.

So for now, don't worry about speed at. all. Focus your efforts on time and distance. The speed will come. I promise.

Dreamer2012, I AM a walker and also not able to run but have improved my walking style to the point where I pass many runners.

Funny thing is that we walked before running but so many adults seem to feel they are not accomplishing anything unless they are running or at least attempting to do so. Running can cause great pain and injury and unless you take things slowly you can very well be joining the masses who do injure themselves.

Build up your base by following training schedules that can be found on the net or in books and if you really want to run you might have to join a running club for expert advice.

I just finished my tempo 13.12 miles this morning in 2:18:18 walking and feel great right now. Please don't feel that you have to run to prove something, just get out and enjoy your training and things will jell. Trust me.

BTW, I am 61yo and just started walking 1 1/2 years ago so age does not have to limit your accomplishments. Come on over to Events/Competition and join in there.

I just finished my tempo 13.12 miles this morning in 2:18:18 walking and feel great right now. Please don't feel that you have to run to prove something, just get out and enjoy your training and things will jell. Trust me.

Amazing! I'm aiming for a 2:36 or better finish doing a 5 run/ 1 walk combo for the Princess and that is awesome. I might have to rethink my strategy. :idea:.

OP to answer your question, I just ran/walked the Disney Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon. There are runners and walkers of all shapes and sizes at all different paces. I passed a woman walking with a CANE covered in glow sticks. I have no idea if she finished, but God bless her, she was doing it.

I just checked the Wine and Dine results and the last walkers finished the half in 3 hours 59 minutes and 21 seconds. That's a 18 minute mile plus pace. Disney threatens to sweep people up but it looks like they don't do it. In fact there were close to 1,000 runners over the 3 hour and 30 minute finish requirement time.

So don't worry about time and pace right now. Just make sure you are following a program and getting in a few shorter walks during the week and a long walk on the weekend!

Thanks so much for responding and the encouragement! I do not enjoy the running, just thought it was the only way to complete the marathon in the time allotted. I am glad to hear that is not the case! My knees seem to bother me some after the run days (even at the very little I am doing - but not after the walking.) I am walking at 4.0 and feel that is a very fast pace - how do I get faster? I walk everyday for 30 mins and on the weekend I do a longer walk - been following the Galloway plan for distances and next week will be walking 6.5.... is that the proper way to train?
Super glad to hear about the "sweeping" - I am going to try and relax about that issue and focus on the training...
Any other walking advice?

Well said John.
Running has an almost 100% injury rate and the vast majority of those are people trying to do too much too soon.

That is an amazing walk speed! I bet you do pass quite a few runners.

I'm totally new too. Until now my idea of exercising has been going to the grocery store. :rotfl: I hope we can cross the finish line together!

I do have a question for the "vets" though. Right now I am jog/walking 1 min / 2 mins for 20 mins total, but even that I can't complete. When I finish I get lightheaded, migraines, my head feels like it's full of pressure (my ears even pop!). I also shake for several hours. Today I started crying for no real reason. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I am healthy, just not fit, and I'm young, so I didn't think I needed medical clearance?

I'm still determined to do this somehow, but I want to make sure I don't do it "wrong" and hurt myself, and I get discouraged easily when it comes to physical activities (lots of being yelled at in gym). :sad2:

I do have a question for the "vets" though. Right now I am jog/walking 1 min / 2 mins for 20 mins total, but even that I can't complete. When I finish I get lightheaded, migraines, my head feels like it's full of pressure (my ears even pop!). I also shake for several hours. Today I started crying for no real reason. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I am healthy, just not fit, and I'm young, so I didn't think I needed medical clearance?

That is not normal. If you can't walk/jog at a 2 minute/1 minute ratio for 20 minutes then its too much for you right now. For someone doing a 16 mm, Jeff Galloway recommends a 30 sec run and a 60 sec walk. Do that for a few weeks and gradually increase (go to a 30 sec run and a 45 sec walk). I personally downloaded an app to my smartphone called RunKeeper (its free) it ques my intervals so I know when to run/walk. Do not obsesses about pace, you will improve if you work on laying the foundation by a few short training session and 1 long training session a week. I didn't believe it myself - I could barely run a mile when I started in May!

Make sure you hydrate and fuel your body properly! You can't run on empty. The only time I struggled with my running was in the extreme heat of the summer, I just ended up getting up earlier. I always feel good after my runs, challenged, but not sore or feeling sick or crying. If you continue to feel this way even after slowing down your pace, please see your doctor. Good luck.

I'll echo what jenjacobs said: Hydration and fuel are key. Shaking is usually symptomatic of critically low blood sugar and the rest sounds a lot like a blood pressure spike which is often a hydration issue.

I don't know what your diet is like but endurance sports require some attention to keeping a decent level of hydration and adequate carbohydrates in the diet to fuel.

The other way this can happen is if you are pushing yourself too hard. We are surrounded by this "no pain/no gain" BS, images of trainers screaming at people to do more and we come up with this notion that if you aren't going past the edge of your ability, you aren't doing enough...this is patently false.

You will see your best progress in running or walking at a 70-80% effort. This is often measured as a percentage of theoretical maximum heart rate but the easy way to tell is...could you carry on a conversation? If the answer is "no" slow down until you could. People always give me this incredulous look when I tell them that going faster and longer means slowing down but this is how even elite athletes train.

All endurance sports are aerobic in nature, the only way to train your aerobic energy systems is by gradually increasing the length of time it can feed you energy. It really doesn't care about the intensity level, it just cares about time.

This is why starting with a walking program, even if you are healthy and young is a good idea. It gets your energy systems used to working for a longer duration and it makes your body strong enough to avoid injury when you do begin running. Once you can walk at a brisk pace for half an hour without pain and without being seriously out of breath (or lightheaded, etc.) THEN it's time to start throwing some short run intervals in there...if you want.

People, please, please, please stop beating up on yourselves.

CSGeorge has it right! I do not know your ages but take it from this 61yo geezer, better or perfect takes much more practice, "training" as one gets older.

Take things slower and focus on all aspects of your training. Feel your body as you are moving and listen to your body. Personally, I think listening to music is great for accomplished athletes but should not be done by newbies because they are not yet tuned into their body and how it is working or not working. Even now I walk with open ears, no music because I focus intently on myself. My bad knees do talk to me and I correct things to make them happy otherwise my pace could not be maintained.

Even the slightest run interval can cause injury, so be careful. The Galloway Method might get one to the finish line a little faster but if the run segments causes an injury, my feeling is I rather be slower and not in pain. The time and money not spent at a Dr. is better spent rewarding myself.

Hope that made sense.

Personally, I think listening to music is great for accomplished athletes but should not be done by newbies because they are not yet tuned into their body and how it is working or not working.

EXCELLENT point.
I'm a fairly seasoned runner and even now, I pull out the earbuds before I do something risky...it happened just this Saturday during a half-marathon. I started at a very conservative pace due to a recent injury, though I'm not sure a Spartan Race counts as a running injury. ;) Once it became clear that it was healed and I decided to RACE, I wanted to be very focused, present, and aware so that if anything wasn't 100%, I could slow it back down before I did more damage.

FWIW John, I'm a "masters runner" too (44).

Thanks guys! I think I will back off more for now, and try the shorter intervals to see where that gets me. I do have a temp. high blood pressure problem due to a medication I'm taking right now, but it should be fixed soon. I'll see how that affects things when I get it patched up.

The thing is that I don't feel that muscle ache I used to get when I exercised. The good "I can tell I did work" feeling, you know? So I thought I must be doing it wrong. It's a rather pleasant feeling, since you can tell you did work the day before (but not too much!). Should I be feeling that still when I back off the pace?

I'll try to hydrate more and start bringing a snack of some kind. Fruit or candy or something. That way I can get something in my system if I start shaking. Thanks so much again! I'm feeling more confident for my next session tomorrow! :yay:

Oh, and John VN, you're one of those 60-somethings I see jogging in the morning on my way to grad classes with a better figure than me, aren't you? :rotfl: I'm so jealous!

Glad to help.
If you are achy the next day after running, you over did it.

Here is the thing about running and walking that people forget. It's not like weight lifting in that there is mostly one body system being impacted. You are making HUGE changes in your body and unless you want to be injured, you go as fast as the slowest system. Your long muscles will be among the first things to adapt. Within a few weeks they will easily be able to keep up with what you ask of them as long as you follow a reasonable training schedule. The enzymes that make the complex set of processes that bolster your aerobic fitness and your circulatory system will come along a bit more slowly and your connective tissue takes months to years depending on your body.

I'm not saying that Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness isn't part of a runner's life, it just shouldn't be part of a NEW runner's life. There are too many changes that need to happen to be able to approach that without a high risk of injury.

Good idea with the snack. It's worth mentioning that there are are products specifically made for endurance athletes. The most common of them are gels or gummies. It's not really something to be too concerned with right now but worth knowing.

I'm still a relative newbie to running, but I agree with everything that the seasoned runners and walkers have shared because I've seen a lot of it work for me.

I started in March with the Couch to 5K program, which I think is a great program but you should probably have a certain level of fitness before attempting it. I had been working out at least 3 times a week since January - but even then, I was not prepared for how much jogging for 60 seconds would kick my fanny! It was humbling to say the least.

And I'll be honest, I *never* made it to week 9 of the program - but I've run in three 5K races since June - able to jog the entire race and have improved my time in each outing to my most recent of 31:16. But every training session is still a mix of jogging and walking - so I guess that means improving your speed isn't about running as hard and as fast as you can for as long as you can.

The other advice I want to add is get fitted for running shoes at a good running store (i.e. not Dick's Sporting Goods) where they will study your feet and your stride and find the right shoes for you. It's so important, right from day one, to have the right shoes.

Hey John VN
Thanks for letting me know its not only ok but good to just learn to walk at a faster pace. Now that I have made that resolve - I started today - I walked @ 4.0 then on every 4th minute I upped the speed to 4.5. I felt good - could carry a conversation the entire time - but worked up quite a sweat! I assume that is what it should be like? My legs (actually back of my thighs...)are sore - but not painful. My knees do not hurt anymore either!! I think this may be the right thing for me. I can only aspire to your level!! What can you tell a newbie?

Hey John VN
Thanks for letting me know its not only ok but good to just learn to walk at a faster pace. Now that I have made that resolve - I started today - I walked @ 4.0 then on every 4th minute I upped the speed to 4.5. I felt good - could carry a conversation the entire time - but worked up quite a sweat! I assume that is what it should be like? My legs (actually back of my thighs...)are sore - but not painful. My knees do not hurt anymore either!! I think this may be the right thing for me. I can only aspire to your level!! What can you tell a newbie?

FANTASTIC!!!!!:cool1::cool1: I did the same thing yesterday. Got my fast mile in at a 9:19m/m pace. Not my fastest mile pace but this was part of a 1/2 marathon training session. Today I went for a 20 mile bicycle ride to keeps things moving and tomorrow with be a chill day.

Your times will come down as you put time into training. Keep it fun. :thumbsup2

Traci, you are spot on about the shoes.

Hey Dreamer,

I am a walker-only and just finished the W&D Half this weekend and did not get swept! If you are comfortable already walking at a 4.0mph pace, then you are golden... I'd bet you could get your pace down even further over the next few months, but even if not, it would be a great pace for the race.

My training was less than ideal for this race because I suffered some issues with my heel and had to take several weeks off. My long training walks were at about a 16:20 pace... for the race, I officially kept a 16:12 pace for a finish time of 3:32... but that included 5 minutes worth of bathroom breaks.

One thing that almost caught me was the fact that you will likely cover a bit more than 13.1 miles unless you are walking the exact shortest distance on the course... so my Garmin registered the race as 13.4 miles and was showing about a 15:30 pace most times.

We never got passed by the sweepers, but we were far enough back that we passed the 'pace monitors' (for no better word) several times... but they always were saying "You're X minutes above the pace"... so we knew we were good as long as we kept our pace. It was also how we knew how we had a few spare minutes to run into the restroom.

I think you are going to be completely fine... no need to worry! I'll see you at the Princess!!!

I echo so much of what has been said here. I still consider myself a new runner. I've been running 2 years as of this coming January. From personal experience, I cannot stress enough the importance of taking things slowly, giving yourself plenty of rest days, and take care of yourself in general.

I've seen so many runners, different ages, shapes, sizes, experience levels, etc...everyone improves at their own pace, it is very personal. So try to just focus on yourself. Just keep with it, you will improve. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter