Predictions or rumors about Magic 2023 dry dock?

I just read a review from someone that said her restroom had mold and was in dire need of refurbishment. I sure hope if that’s true these issues are addressed during dry dock.

Sailing on the Magic in September-glad to hear it’s being spiffed up before then. Haven’t sailed her since 2006 - so it will be interesting!

I will also be following the drydock updates. Will have the family on the Magic for the June 5th sailing.

Last edited:
Gonna be on the Magic in a few weeks (before the dry dock). We are staying in one of the Family Verandah rooms that is planned to be converted into concierge. Curious if those changes will be happening in dry dock in April or if they are already starting to upgrade them...

Gonna be on the Magic in a few weeks (before the dry dock). We are staying in one of the Family Verandah rooms that is planned to be converted into concierge. Curious if those changes will be happening in dry dock in April or if they are already starting to upgrade them...
I doubt that you'll see any changes before the drydock. They can't even be bothered to replace the missing letter on the atrium statue.

The guests that booked those rooms after May 1 at non-concierge rates are the ones who really lucked out!

As stated by @Kwami , you are unlikely to see any "upgrades" before the actual drydock - only absolutely necessary maintenance. With that said, a few sailings before the drydock, they may start preparing a few areas for what's coming

I just got off the Magic yesterday and I pray they replace the mattresses on those couches and fold down cots. I’ve never had a bad mattress prior to this cruise and I always sleep on the couch. And I give my parents the bed. I’m exhausted. I had the handicap room, and there was an absolute gully in both
Couch area beds. I asked for a foam mattress and thankfully I knew that was an option from here.
A few of the elevator buttons didn’t work too well.

I have heard from two different sources that a big announcement is coming soon from DCL and I get the impression that it may have to do with the Magic. But not that it's going away. It sounds like the dry dock work is pretty extensive, so I think she will be around for a while.

I have heard from two different sources that a big announcement is coming soon from DCL and I get the impression that it may have to do with the Magic. But not that it's going away. It sounds like the dry dock work is pretty extensive, so I think she will be around for a while.
Didn't see have a major dry dock not too long ago?

Didn't see have a major dry dock not too long ago?
There was a major dry dock in 2018 when they added Rapunzel's. But, the pandemic messed up their plans a bit. The Magic was supposed to get the extra concierge verandah rooms and the expanded concierge lounge that the Wonder got. Disney has already announced the room conversions effective May 1, so they'll probably handle the revamped lounge at the same time.

Otherwise, I haven't heard anything about what they might be doing during the dry dock. Hopefully, they'll fix all of the cosmetic problems, at least. The Magic needs some polishing.

I just got off the Magic yesterday and I pray they replace the mattresses on those couches and fold down cots. I’ve never had a bad mattress prior to this cruise and I always sleep on the couch. And I give my parents the bed. I’m exhausted. I had the handicap room, and there was an absolute gully in both
Couch area beds. I asked for a foam mattress and thankfully I knew that was an option from here.
A few of the elevator buttons didn’t work too well.
How does one ask for a foam mattress ? Is that a request made on the ship or beforehand and where would the foam mattress go? On top of the sofa bed? Looking to better understand if this is something I may need to request soon. Thanks

How does one ask for a foam mattress ? Is that a request made on the ship or beforehand and where would the foam mattress go? On top of the sofa bed? Looking to better understand if this is something I may need to request soon. Thanks
As I was walking down the hall on the second day I found my state room host as I was going to breakfast and told him I found the bed uncomfortable and asked for the foam pad that can be put on top. He pulled one out right away in the morning and have it for me later in the evening on the bed already made. It made enough difference for the first night, but to be honest on the third night it was uncomfortable still. I’ve only slept in a real bed three times out of eight cruises. This was the worst couch experience I’ve ever had it was a handicap room. Normally the couches were absolutely wonderful. This mattress was different than the normal couch mattresses on the normal couches they put a regular mattress on this it was a 3 inch pad. Didn’t feel anything like a mattress at all. This is what they added as a couch after the original couches had been installed, since the room was created some 10 years after the ship was built.

They can't even be bothered to replace the missing letter on the atrium statue.
We were on a sailing this week and the missing "M" on the atrium statue had returned!

Unfortunately, while less noticeable, the "Sea Treasures" shop is missing a "T." Also, the peeling yellow on the atrium chandelier is still present.
PXL_20230308_145851907.jpg

I've seen speculation or rumors that the Magic will go into dry dock in April of 2023. I haven't been cruising long enough to have a sense of how often dry dock means significant changes, vs just a more thorough maintenance break. Thoughts?
In addition to the expansion of concierge and update to the Promenade Lounge, these are the additional "minor" refurbishments for which I'm hoping:
  • Room improvements
    • Remove the bulky wall-attached hair dryer. These are outdated, waste space in a small bathroom, and are unneeded given the inclusion of a portable hair dryer in the room.
      5c9d2e1c10731848844674.jpeg
    • Add USB-A and USB-C ports, particularly near the bed. This is a small and likely easy change to bring it in line with modern ships.
  • Shopping changes
    • Replace Sea Treasures shop, perhaps with a champagne bar. Today, Sea Treasures has very limited hours and merchandise, seems out-of-place selling children's clothes in the adult district, and is underutilized. This area could be opened up with portholes looking outside and providing a small bar, perhaps similar to Pink.
    • Replace Radio Studio with a small shop. This area is also heavily underutilized. If Disney is worried about losing retail square footage with Sea Treasures, this could become a small shop. I think this is unlikely, though, given limited foot traffic in this area.
      PXL_20230308_151945940.jpg
  • Other underutilized space
    • Remove Connect @ Sea desk. Given use of the smartphone app, this is no longer needed and can be replaced with the Promenade Lounge overhaul. Plus, this area is never staffed.
      PXL_20230308_155955927.jpg
    • Remove "vacation planning desk" on deck 4. This is no longer needed given everyone now books their placeholder cruises in the app. Plus, this area is never staffed. Removing this area could add more seating or small dessert cafe.
  • Deck changes
    • Update sports deck. This area feels a bit tired. While it's unclear if there's sufficient space, the addition of a small putt-putt course would be a welcome change.
    • Install LED screens behind deck stage. This small change would bring it in line with modern ships like the Wish and allow for more creative backgrounds and stage utilization.
    • Restore automatic doors on deck 4. All doors have motion sensors to be opened, but some are not activated and require manually sliding the door to open it. This may be a small fix.
    • Repair broken compasses on deck 10 aft.
      PXL_20230308_221659925.jpg

Last edited:
White wall veranda solid walls under railings get replaced with glass.

So, was the big announcement specific to the Disney Magic? Because the big announcement this week was about Lighthouse point. With that said, I am certain that at some point Disney will say something... but whether it is pre or post dry dock remains to be seen... this is now roughly only one month away

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter