Prawn Heads & Cupcakes & Soups, Oh My! 10/5 Complete (now with my Dining Wish List)!

Oh goody!! :cheer2: Highlights!

I agree with emmysmommy - how about a must do list for your next trip? :thumbsup2

Another wonderful DR as always! I hope you get to plan another trip soon. In the mean time, enjoy your culinary adventures around Philly and good luck at school this year! :goodvibes

Love your highlights! Although I see cupcakes and prawns but no soups? Oh well - who needs soup when you have a chocolate caramel cupcake!

You look like you had such a great trip. Sometimes I forget you probably did other things at WDW besides eat :lmao:.
The soups were very good, but they just missed making it onto the highlights page. Other honorable mentions include The Wave's bison burger and Artist Point's prawn & crab hot pot. :thumbsup2

Wonderful highlights! After seeing the pictures again, I need to find a free morning to do breakfast at Boma!!
PS does anyone else agree that we need some more food related emojis?! :rotfl:
Yes! Sometimes :), :goodvibes, :thumbsup2, and :cloud9: aren't descriptive enough. :laughing:

I am definitely making sure I visit Boma, Jiko, and Artist Point. Love the highlights!!!
You'll definitely have some great meals to look forward to next time! ::yes::

Love the highlights DDW! As God is my witness, I will not cancel Boma again! I want some of that bananas foster french toast. :rotfl2:

But the highlight of course was those prawns!! :upsidedow

Next you can create a list of places that are on your must dine list for future visits or an all time dining highlights list or ??..... I'm trying to think of ways to keep this alive. I DON'T want it to end. :crazy2:
You have to try Boma - it's currently my favorite Disney breakfast! They offer something for everyone, from breakfast standards (plain eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, pastries, etc - I always skip that stuff :laughing:) to unique, African-inspired breakfast foods (and of course that bread pudding). :thumbsup2

That's a great idea! I'll definitely work on a list of places on my radar for next time. :)

Oh goody!! :cheer2: Highlights!

I agree with emmysmommy - how about a must do list for your next trip? :thumbsup2
The list should be coming up soon! :goodvibes

Another wonderful DR as always! I hope you get to plan another trip soon. In the mean time, enjoy your culinary adventures around Philly and good luck at school this year! :goodvibes
Thanks so much! It's going to be a tough year, but knowing that we'll be back at Disney eventually is something that keeps me motivated. :)

Another great DR! Sad to see its over.
I know, this is always the saddest part (especially without another trip already planned), but at least there are a bunch of other awesome dining reports to read. :thumbsup2

Even though we don’t have a trip planned yet, I won’t let that stop me from thinking about future meals at WDW. :laughing: I already have plenty of places in mind for ‘next time’ (or even ‘next next time’), and thanks to Brenda’s and Tracy's encouragement, I've decided to share that list here.

Be Our Guest

This landmark of New Fantasyland is understandably at the top of my list. Not only is the decor supposed to be beautiful, but I also think the French-inspired menu is going to top every other option at Magic Kingdom. For lunch, the tuna niçoise salad sounds amazing, while dinner offers interesting choices such as mussels provençal, pan-seared salmon on leek fondue, and ratatouille with quinoa. I like that the dessert menu offers lighter options and smaller portions, but between the cupcakes and cream puffs, it’ll be tough to pick just one!

IMG_5641_zps2829e0f9.jpg

Whispering Canyon Cafe

This probably seems like an odd choice, but it’s the only restaurant at Wilderness Lodge that I haven’t tried, and I’d like to check it off my ‘list’. WCC has never appealed to me that much, but oddly enough, I actually like the new dinner menu more than the old one. I like how the skillet now includes fish as an option, and the jalapeño-lime cheesecake sounds quite good to me. One reason why I’m hesitant to come here is the price - $33 is a lot to pay, since that same cash could get me a phenomenal entree at Artist Point or Jiko.

Screenshot2012-10-05at34750PM.png

Bistro de Paris Replacement

My first meal at Bistro (even before the DDP was accepted) was somewhat disappointing. The food was well-prepared but not especially creative or interesting. Furthermore, it was kind of ridiculous to see servers in tuxedos while guests were wearing hats and tank tops. Finally, service was too slow (and not in a good way – it seemed like my server was overworked). The ongoing refurbishment is going to change a lot of this. The restaurant is going to feel less ‘stuffy’, waiters will no longer wear tuxedos, and the menu is also receiving an update. Overall, I can't wait to see how the replacement restaurant compares.

Kona Cafe

I've never been in love with Kona, but its most recent menu changes are definitely impressive to me! Here are some of the dishes I'd like to try:

-Grilled Beef Satay with Bulgogi Sauce (this appetizer is only on the lunch menu - I like how it's influenced by Korean flavors!)
-Pan-seared Duck Breast served with Mung, Adzuki, and Cranberry Beans, with Chorizo Sausage and Spinach in a Tamarind Gastrique
-Steamed Littleneck Clams with Winter Squash, Spinach, and Macadamia Nuts
-Jasmine Tea-infused Cheesecake with Orange-Ginger Balsamic Glaze - A Low-Glycemic Dessert Option (this sounds so interesting!)

The Wave

Currently one of my favorite non-signature restaurants at WDW (as emphasized by this report), The Wave is a place that I could happily return to over and over, thanks to its creative and seasonal menu changes. Some current dishes I'd be interested in ordering are:

-Sustainable Fish Taco with Avocado Gelato and House-made soft Flour Tortillas
-Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Goji Berry-Red Wine Reduction, Three-Potato Hash, and Locally-sourced Butternut Squash Risotto

Le Cellier Lunch

LC is currently one of the most polarizing restaurants in the WDW universe. Some people absolutely love it, from the cheese soup to the maple crème brûlée. Others say “Le Cellier is awful! I think it's sooooo overrated. Anyone who likes it has probably never been to a steakhouse better than Outback”. I find myself in between these two warring factions - I don't love LC, but those extremely negative comments about LC (and about the people who like it) still irritate me. The change to a 'signature' restaurant has pushed more and more people into the latter category.

So what's the point of my little rant? With lunch poised to become a 2-credit meal next year, I'm personally willing to give it a chance. Will the food improve to match the level of the current dinner menu? I actually really like the current dinner menu - almost every appetizer sounds great to me (besides the caesar salad or cheddar cheese soup), and some of the desserts also sound great (summer melon and cucumber sorbet with cucumber, micro mint, and sea salt - yum!). What about atmosphere - will tables be spaced further apart to match the atmosphere of resort signatures? Overall, I won't give up on LC until I have a solid reason to give up. It's not my favorite, but I've definitely enjoyed a lot of food there. :thumbsup2

In case the menus linked above end up changing, here are pics of the dinner appetizer and dessert menus that I was referring to.

Screenshot2012-10-05at34250PM.png

Screenshot2012-10-05at34312PM.png

Overall, I can't wait to return to WDW, whenever that is. As you can see, there are always exciting food changes in the works, so whenever we make it back, there will be something new and delicious to enjoy. :goodvibes

I love that you added Le Cellier! Yup, you know I am a fan,lol. I am definitely adding Bistro, Whispering Canyon, and Be Our Guest to my future visit as well. I am glad Brenda and Tracy coaxed you to do this, :)

I love that you added Le Cellier! Yup, you know I am a fan,lol. I am definitely adding Bistro, Whispering Canyon, and Be Our Guest to my future visit as well. I am glad Brenda and Tracy coaxed you to do this, :)
I also like Le Cellier! And while some people are understandably upset about having to pay twice as much (in terms of DDP credits) for LC's signature dishes (cheese soup, mushroom filet, and maple crème brûlée), I see plenty of menu items I'd be happy to pay OOP for. Between the summer fig salad, seared scallop appetizer, and melon & cucumber sorbet, that could be a fantastic meal. :goodvibes

And I can't wait to see reviews for the new Bistro, new WCC dinner menu, and Be Our Guest. All of these places really intrigue me, and hopefully it won't be too long before I get to share my thoughts on some of them. :)

I am in total agreement with you on LC. I feel like a lot of people's current anger towards it stems from the dining plan. I'm not a big DP fan so the switch to a 2 credit lunch doesn't really bother me.

Disney should pay you to be a spokesperson for the Wave! I think way more people would try it if they had you selling it to them.

I am in total agreement with you on LC. I feel like a lot of people's current anger towards it stems from the dining plan. I'm not a big DP fan so the switch to a 2 credit lunch doesn't really bother me.

Disney should pay you to be a spokesperson for the Wave! I think way more people would try it if they had you selling it to them.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Le Cellier. Assuming the lunch menu actually improves, then I'm perfectly fine with the change. :thumbsup2

And thanks so much for your Wave comment! :goodvibes

THANK YOU so much for indulging us in your wish list - this was PERFECT!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Your choices do not surprise too much - BOG is tops on my list for sure. I'm a fan of LC as long as they keep the petite filet on the lunch menu! I don't use the DP so I'm not worried about credit value. When I saw the price on the dinner menu for the cheddar soup I was surprised to see $9!! But then I remembered that I gladly pay $10 or $11 for the Smokey Portobello Soup at AP! :upsidedow

As for WCC... the concept sounds good but I just don't see enough things that look appealing to me to make it worth $33! Although I like the idea of a dessert sampler. ::yes::

Thank you again DDW!

I really enjoyed following your dining report. You gave me some ideas about which cupcakes I might like to try in 50 days. :)

Apologies for my inattentiveness to your DR. I've been ill (right before travel, of course).

I loved your highlights and wish list. Is it bad that I'm already composing my wish list for my next trip, and I'll be in the World in 2 days?

I might have a problem. I hope you get back soon for more DRs.

I loved seeing your list of places and dishes you want to try on your next trip :goodvibes

I always have a list on the go and I'm pretty sure I will never get through everything on it, and that's why we keep going back :thumbsup2

Mr. DDW,

Thanks for the great review! I always love reading your reports with the great pictures you take. I will actually be in Philly on October 19th. We will be near 35 and Market for an appointment. I wish we would actually have time to get lunch somewhere good while we are there knowing you mentioned all those places earlier in your report. Oh well, what are ya gonna do??? Here's to hoping you can plan another trip soon.

THANK YOU so much for indulging us in your wish list - this was PERFECT!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Your choices do not surprise too much - BOG is tops on my list for sure. I'm a fan of LC as long as they keep the petite filet on the lunch menu! I don't use the DP so I'm not worried about credit value. When I saw the price on the dinner menu for the cheddar soup I was surprised to see $9!! But then I remembered that I gladly pay $10 or $11 for the Smokey Portobello Soup at AP! :upsidedow

As for WCC... the concept sounds good but I just don't see enough things that look appealing to me to make it worth $33! Although I like the idea of a dessert sampler. ::yes::

Thank you again DDW!
The more I hear about BOG, the more excited I am to try it! And I agree with you about my list - overall, the choices aren't too unexpected (BOG is on everyone's radar at the moment), but personally I'm surprised by how much I want to try WCC. :rotfl: Lunch might be more worth it, simply because it's cheaper.

I really enjoyed following your dining report. You gave me some ideas about which cupcakes I might like to try in 50 days. :)
Cupcakes have become such a huge part of the WDW experience, simply because they're everywhere now. ;) If you end up trying some of these, I hope you enjoy them!

Apologies for my inattentiveness to your DR. I've been ill (right before travel, of course).

I loved your highlights and wish list. Is it bad that I'm already composing my wish list for my next trip, and I'll be in the World in 2 days?

I might have a problem. I hope you get back soon for more DRs.
I know I've written this elsewhere, but I hope your trip is going really well! And I think it's perfectly fine to have a food wish list for your next trip. :thumbsup2

I loved seeing your list of places and dishes you want to try on your next trip :goodvibes

I always have a list on the go and I'm pretty sure I will never get through everything on it, and that's why we keep going back :thumbsup2
You're so right about these 'lists'! It's always nice to have something to look forward to (whether it's a new attraction or the latest snack addition :lmao:).

Mr. DDW,

Thanks for the great review! I always love reading your reports with the great pictures you take. I will actually be in Philly on October 19th. We will be near 35 and Market for an appointment. I wish we would actually have time to get lunch somewhere good while we are there knowing you mentioned all those places earlier in your report. Oh well, what are ya gonna do??? Here's to hoping you can plan another trip soon.
Hopefully you'll have time to get something delicious in Philly! I'm so excited for the 19th, because after class I'll be headed back to NY for the weekend. I hope the appointment goes well. :goodvibes

So excited to try some of those. ::yes::
Your trip is growing closer and closer - I hope you have a great time, full of delicious food! ::yes::

Oh no, I'm sad to see this review finished. :sad1: Love your dining wish list - at least it can help cope until your next trip. :)

I've had a weird busy week so I'm glad to see that you did indeed add your wish list!! :banana: BOG is tops on my list as well just like most people! I'm not planning another trip back to WDW until September of next year so hopefully the newness will die down a little bit by then. To be honest, I'm one of the LC lovers :worship: and even if it's two credits I will likely still eat here. I'm thinking of getting the deluxe plan just for this reason!

When my sister and I stayed at WL we had an ADR for WCC but we ended up canceling it. I would actually give this place a shot as well but we just had something else in mind. I also think I'd go for lunch to save a little money. I never seem to get my money's worth at buffets or the all you can eat places!

Great list and it's made me start thinking more about mine too. I'm going to write it down right now!:hyper:

Oh no, I'm sad to see this review finished. :sad1: Love your dining wish list - at least it can help cope until your next trip. :)
Yeah, I wish I had more to say, but this is really it for now. :laughing: At least you'll be starting your reviews really soon!

I've had a weird busy week so I'm glad to see that you did indeed add your wish list!! :banana: BOG is tops on my list as well just like most people! I'm not planning another trip back to WDW until September of next year so hopefully the newness will die down a little bit by then. To be honest, I'm one of the LC lovers :worship: and even if it's two credits I will likely still eat here. I'm thinking of getting the deluxe plan just for this reason!

When my sister and I stayed at WL we had an ADR for WCC but we ended up canceling it. I would actually give this place a shot as well but we just had something else in mind. I also think I'd go for lunch to save a little money. I never seem to get my money's worth at buffets or the all you can eat places!

Great list and it's made me start thinking more about mine too. I'm going to write it down right now!:hyper:
Agreed on BOG and LC - they're definitely two of my highest priorities right now. :thumbsup2 The 2-credit thing isn't going to scare me away from LC, especially since I see some great appetizers that I could enjoy OOP.

As for WCC, when I wrote up that list, I was definitely interested in trying dinner (mainly for the fish and the jalapeño-lime cheesecake). But all of the reviews for the updated dinner menu have been disappointing (primarily this one, and some other random posts). At least lunch is less costly (and some of the dishes sound really good, such as the bacon & egg burger or the smoked salmon quesadilla). :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your updated list eventually. :goodvibes

Hi, can I ask you a quick question? I was just pricing out the dining plan and park tickets for my trip and I noticed the price has gone up again. Can you tell me if you think the plan is still a good deal? Did you pay out of pocket or use the deluxe or premium plan? My husband is suggesting that because we can never eat all the food of the DDP that perhaps we should just use our kitchen and pay out of pocket for meals. Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter