Prawn Heads & Cupcakes & Soups, Oh My! 10/5 Complete (now with my Dining Wish List)!

What a spectacular view!!! :lovestruc I'd say that is the PERFECT spot to enjoy a meal. ::yes::
What a nice family to buy you lunch & the lunch looks delicious & once again healthy. I LOVE a cucumber salad that my MIL makes. Yummy!! Anyone who says QS is all hot dogs & nuggets is :joker: CRAZY!! It is nice to have such great options.

That S'Mores cupcake looks amazing. I totally getting one week after next. :)

Jill in CO

What a sweet family! I am really loving your cupcake crawl! I also think it's great that your mom is sharing. Otherwise the cupcakes look huge.

I loved it. The shredded carrot pieces visible throughout, the occasional sweet golden raisin, and the perfect amount of cream cheese frosting - it all culminated in an incredible snack.

From DHS, I eventually found myself in Epcot, where this snack caught my eye.

A pineapple-coconut cupcake at Sunshine Seasons!

As you probably know, I haven't been the biggest fan of Disney cupcakes in the past. However, I think I discovered the problem - the frosting is usually too sweet or too flavorless for me. :laughing: As such, I removed most of the frosting and dug in.

The cupcake itself consisted of yellow cake (no filling) with a subtle coconut flavor. I didn't taste as much pineapple as I would've liked, so I used the two pineapple pieces on top to add some freshness and acidity. The frosting tasted like vanilla to me, and it was too sweet for me. However, I enjoyed this cupcake enough that I ended up getting several more cupcakes throughout the trip.

At this point in time, the snacks were truly on a roll: the soups at the Mara, the fantastic carrot cake cookie, the gateway cupcake (;)) - everything was good. Would the snacks continue to impress throughout the trip?

Before I can answer that, I have a lunch at San Angel Inn to discuss. :)

Perusing your lovely sweet treats reviews and pictures... I'm so adding the Sunshine Seasons cupcake to the list of things we must try on the next trip. ::yes:: (The carrot cake cookie has permanent residency on the list already. :laughing: ) Off to read more...

More cupcakes!! You can't beat that! I've never tried that s'mores cupcake before but it looks fantastic. We had our employee picnic over the weekend and I think I tried - coconut, sea salt caramel, pumpkin with cream cheese frosting and white/white. By the way I took a few home with me and did not consume all of those in one sitting!! ;)

That turkey/dill havarti sandwich looks very good - I would love that! Being the cheese fan that I am, I love different flavors of havarti!:thumbsup2

I had that Turkey Sandwich while we were there !! I agree that it was very good. You will see that later on in my review. I had fries with mine, but now I kinda wish I had the cucumber salad because that looks good to me. Sigh. Missed opportunities !!

Wow! What a great dining review - I loved reading every moment (except the prawn heads!), thank you for sharing!

Wow you are really impressing me with the cupcakes! :lmao: The fact that you had the chocolate caramel one twice must mean that it is exceptionally delicious. I love chocolate and I particularly enjoy ganache type frostings so it looks like a winner to me. Maybe I can convince DH to get one for me after our dinner at AP :scratchin.

Both the Sandwich and Cupcake look really good. I'm happy Roaring Fork will be so convenient for us!

WL is BEAUTIFUL!!
Agreed on both counts - Roaring Fork is awesome, and Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous! Enjoy your time there!

That was super generous of those kind people to share their unused meal credits!!! The sandwich sure looks good and since I love multi-grain rolls oh my goodness!! :thumbsup2

You have to stop with the cupcakes Mr. DDW - you're killin' me!! :lmao: I'm going to have to start a cupcake wish list and definitely add that one to the list. The marshmallow topping sounds so unique and delicious. The cake part was a graham flavor? I'm just so curious to try that.

That view from your room is certainly beautiful.
It was such a generous surprise! Plus, it allowed me to add one more treat to my cupcake crawl. Don't worry - that was the last one!

And Wilderness Lodge is such a beautiful resort - even the woods views are lovely, since they really make you feel secluded in a national park. :cloud9:

We stay in York, and there are really just cute little towns with shopping, beaches, relaxing and some good seafood! :goodvibes
And I am happy to report she finished her entire chicken and cheese quesadilla while I enjoyed my favorite salad and she is now a fan! I'm a proud mommy :rotfl2:
ETA: Roaring Fork looks great too!! These cupcakes are killing me!! LOL! But even the turkey sandwich looks delicious and a lighter choice to some of the heavier foods I tend to enjoy in Disney ;)
I'd really like to visit Maine sometime. We enjoy visiting Boston, and Maine isn't much further - it seems so quiet and serene there. And regarding your DD and the quesadilla, that's great news. :laughing:

Roaring Fork was wonderful this trip! I highly recommend it.

Sorry I haven't been much for thoughtful responses this week. I'm still here and your reviews are top notch.
Glad to hear you're still enjoying the reviews! Believe it or not, but the report is almost done.

What a spectacular view!!! :lovestruc I'd say that is the PERFECT spot to enjoy a meal. ::yes::
What a nice family to buy you lunch & the lunch looks delicious & once again healthy. I LOVE a cucumber salad that my MIL makes. Yummy!! Anyone who says QS is all hot dogs & nuggets is :joker: CRAZY!! It is nice to have such great options.
Agreed on quick service - if you want burgers and chicken nuggets, they're easy enough to find, but there are lots of unique options as well. :goodvibes

That S'Mores cupcake looks amazing. I totally getting one week after next. :)

Jill in CO
I hope you like the s'mores cupcake, and it's exciting that your trip is so soon! :yay:

What a sweet family! I am really loving your cupcake crawl! I also think it's great that your mom is sharing. Otherwise the cupcakes look huge.
The cupcake crawl has finally come to an end, and as you can see, some of the best ones were saved for last. The cupcakes are huge - the only ones I actually finished were the chocolate caramel one that I had for breakfast (it was worth it ;)) and the Babycakes one (which is much smaller than a Disney cupcake).

Perusing your lovely sweet treats reviews and pictures... I'm so adding the Sunshine Seasons cupcake to the list of things we must try on the next trip. ::yes:: (The carrot cake cookie has permanent residency on the list already. :laughing: ) Off to read more...
There are so many great snacks at WDW! Even though some of the flavors are seasonal, you can always expect an interesting selection (and of course, classics will practically always stick around, like the carrot cake cookie).

More cupcakes!! You can't beat that! I've never tried that s'mores cupcake before but it looks fantastic. We had our employee picnic over the weekend and I think I tried - coconut, sea salt caramel, pumpkin with cream cheese frosting and white/white. By the way I took a few home with me and did not consume all of those in one sitting!! ;)

That turkey/dill havarti sandwich looks very good - I would love that! Being the cheese fan that I am, I love different flavors of havarti!:thumbsup2
All of those cupcakes sound great (and depending on the portion size, I might have eaten them all in one sitting :laughing:)! And if you're a fan of havarti cheese, I'm sure you'd enjoy it with the dill flavor.

I had that Turkey Sandwich while we were there !! I agree that it was very good. You will see that later on in my review. I had fries with mine, but now I kinda wish I had the cucumber salad because that looks good to me. Sigh. Missed opportunities !!
The cucumber salad is a very nice side alternative. At least now it'll be on your radar for next time. :)

Wow! What a great dining review - I loved reading every moment (except the prawn heads!), thank you for sharing!
Thanks so much - I'm really happy you're enjoying the report! Sorry about the prawn heads :rotfl:

Wow you are really impressing me with the cupcakes! :lmao: The fact that you had the chocolate caramel one twice must mean that it is exceptionally delicious. I love chocolate and I particularly enjoy ganache type frostings so it looks like a winner to me. Maybe I can convince DH to get one for me after our dinner at AP :scratchin.
Yeah, there are very few Disney cupcakes that I feel the need to try again - that one was special. :thumbsup2 If you end up getting it, I hope you also!

After my meal at San Angel Inn, I walked over to Yacht and Beach Club. Here's the Yachtsman Steakhouse menu, as of August 16th:

IMG_5253.jpg

It looks very good, but we were okay skipping Yachtsman this time. I'm interested in seeing if the menu will change after Yachtsman's current refurbishment.

My next stop was the Beach Club Marketplace. Since I didn't finish my dessert at SAI, I was still in the mood for something sweet.

IMG_5254.jpg

The first thing that jumped out at me was an assortment of baked goods from Babycakes. Babycakes snacks are vegan, gluten-free, and overall very allergy-friendly.

These cupcakes are also available at AoA's food court.

IMG_5261.jpg

However, the selection doesn't end there.

Cookies

IMG_5256.jpg

Donuts

IMG_5257.jpg

IMG_5260.jpg

I'd read very good things about the donuts at Babycakes, so I decided to try one.

Here's the chocolate crunch donut:

IMG_5265.jpg

And an ingredients list:

IMG_5269.jpg

The first thing to keep in mind is that this is a vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free dessert. Vegan and gluten-free desserts can be inconsistent IMO, but I really enjoyed this snack. I've heard that Babycakes donuts are baked instead of fried, which wouldn't surprise me since this wasn't as greasy as a typical donut. Also, the texture was a bit denser, which made it feel more substantial. Finally, the donut flavor reminded me of lemon zest (and wasn't as sugary as a typical donut), while the chocolate frosting and crunch provided a decadent touch. This is one of the best snacks I've tried from Babycakes so far - it's not a traditional donut, but in some ways, I liked it even more. :goodvibes

I think it's great that Babycakes desserts are being offered at more and more resorts - first AoA, now Beach Club, and possibly even more resorts. Besides the fact that Babycakes treats are great for people with certain allergies and dietary restrictions, I think several of their snacks taste great. :thumbsup2

Following along, great reviews!

Did you happen to notice whether the Babycakes are available for snack credits?

My DD is allergic to egg/dairy/nuts and so these would be perfect! We would definitely trek all the way to BC marketplace just to get some :)

Following along, great reviews!

Did you happen to notice whether the Babycakes are available for snack credits?

My DD is allergic to egg/dairy/nuts and so these would be perfect! We would definitely trek all the way to BC marketplace just to get some :)
I don't know for sure, but I would assume that they are available for snack credits since they were priced similarly to or less than Disney-produced snacks. Also, if you go to the DTD location, many Babycakes snacks are available on the DDP (so it would probably be the same at Beach Club). :thumbsup2

Many of you have seen this update already. But for those of you who haven't, I already wrote my dinner review for the final night (it was a joint review with Brenda!). Dinner was at Cosmic Ray's, and it was one of the highlights of this trip for me. :goodvibes

You can check out the review in Brenda's current dining report - Cosmic Ray's was on Day 2. :)

Alas, have we reached the end of your DR? I loved reading about your experience at Cosmic Ray's on Brenda's DR. It seemed like such a nice time.

On an unrelated note, I was looking through my photos from my trip back in May, and came across this image of what I believe to be a heron on the Grand Floridian grounds. I thought you would appreciate it.
IMG_0524_zps2dc20821.jpg

I'm so sad I missed that Chocolate Caramel Cupcake. We even made a trip over to WL, it was just a snack credit away :lmao:

Loving your reviews as always :)

Alas, have we reached the end of your DR? I loved reading about your experience at Cosmic Ray's on Brenda's DR. It seemed like such a nice time.
The report is almost done - just a few more updates to go from our departure day.

And I love your bird picture! :goodvibes

Oh no! Your DR is ending soon... Any trips in the works?
Not right now. We'll see how busy this year turns out to be, and then maybe we'll be able to fit something in. :thumbsup2

I'm so sad I missed that Chocolate Caramel Cupcake. We even made a trip over to WL, it was just a snack credit away :lmao:

Loving your reviews as always :)
Thanks so much - I'm glad you're still enjoying the report! That cupcake was really good, but it's not the only awesome thing Roaring Fork serves. If you haven't tried it yet, you should consider breakfast there (and my review is coming up). ;)

After an awesome evening in MK with Brenda, Michael, and Emily, I took the bus back to WL for a good night's sleep. This time, I actually woke up in time for breakfast, and the Mickey waffles at Roaring Fork were on my mind.

Roaring Fork has four different waffle preparations, and they're all quite unique. Here's a picture from 2011, which shows all four types:

-Chocolate Lovers Waffles (chocolate chips, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce)
-Strawberry and Orange Waffles (fresh strawberries and orange whipped cream)
-Wilderness Waffles (maple butter and candied pecans)
-Bananas Foster Waffles (warm bananas in a buttered rum sauce)

IMG_0597_zps583ca1e4.jpg

I've tried three of these waffle preparations, and they were all very good. Here's a picture of the wilderness waffles that I took last year:

IMG_0599_zps4a602e82.jpg

And my picture of the bananas foster waffles:

IMG_0461_zpsdeaeec1d.jpg

However, this time I had to go with my favorite: the strawberry and orange waffles.

IMG_5613.jpg

These are just heavenly. The sweet strawberries and the light, zesty cream combine so perfectly with the waffles. There's some bacon on the plate, but my recommendation is to ignore these strips - save all your room for the waffles and toppings. :goodvibes

IMG_5614.jpg

Overall, very few CS breakfasts can compare to these creations, and Roaring Fork should be a must-do if you're a fan of Mickey waffles. :)

Those Bananas Foster waffles WILL BE MINE!! Although you can't even tell in the picture that they are Mickey Waffles lol!

Glad you enjoyed yours. They look good as well :-) The chocolate ones also look pretty tasty! They all look like Dessert for Breakfast lol!

Those Bananas Foster waffles WILL BE MINE!! Although you can't even tell in the picture that they are Mickey Waffles lol!

Glad you enjoyed yours. They look good as well :-) The chocolate ones also look pretty tasty! They all look like Dessert for Breakfast lol!
The bananas foster ones are really good too! And as you said, all of these dishes are reminiscent of dessert, which has to be a good thing in WDW. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter