• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post-surgical recovery...UGH

Captain UP

Mouseketeer
Hey all! I just had back surgery on Friday. First surgery of my life. WOW was I unprepared for how brutal the recovery is! I keep trying to remind myself that this is GOOD pain and it means the healing is happening, but good sweet God is it painful! Haha.

You truly haven't lived until your 18 year old daughter has to help you but socks on.

BUT...the really good news here is that I am 64 days out from Kidani Village and a 7 day WDW trip! So all this pain will soon be worth an awesome trip!

Have a great day, all.

Jon

Don't be afraid/hesitant to take any pain meds that are prescribed. Many people are so worried about possible addiction that they don't take the medication they need. You'll heal better if you are able to sleep well and aren't in constant pain. That's been my experience, at least.
Good luck with your recovery.

Don't be afraid/hesitant to take any pain meds that are prescribed. Many people are so worried about possible addiction that they don't take the medication they need. You'll heal better if you are able to sleep well and aren't in constant pain. That's been my experience, at least.
Great point! Thank you!

Get well soon! Hope you can enjoy the wonderful rides at WDW. AKL Kidani is a fabulous resort! Enjoy.
:flower1:

Get well soon. The time will pass and you'll get better everyday.

I had a surgery in 2021 that required me to have 8 weeks of non-weightbearing. I thought I would lose my mind!

Yes!!! While I know some people try to avoid pain meds for a variety of reasons, my doctors have always stressed that proper pain management will often aid in recovery. You don't want to move if you're in pain and if you do move without managing the pain, most people wind up altering their movements to minimize the pain...which can create more pain and potential injuries. Movement also stimulates blood flow, which should help the area recover at a better pace.

What is your recovery time? Two months out from trip, you may lose a lot of stamina due to healing/resting. Seems strange after a week or two of resting, a walk to the mail box is really long.

It is hard.

I had hip replacement......and couldn't put socks on for a long time!!
Good luck for a speedy recovery

Wishing you well, Jon, and a speedy healing. It is tough, for sure. Knee replacement here, 19 years ago. I remember those days well.

Hope you recover quickly the trip sounds like a fun goal. I agree with the pain management because you need to be able to move, sometimes a little strategy helps manage it well while stretching it and not using too much. Although they gave me O when I had surgery the year before last and it did a bare minimum for pain relief which seems stupid of the Drs with the medicines reputation for being a problem. Took an hour to work, worked hours 2 & 3 only, then was out of my body and I was in pain again and unable to move around. It did put me in a good mood though so more of an antidepressant than anything I guess, so like I was in agony but not all that upset over it, truly a monsterous useless drug, use extreme caution with anything that starts with an O. Not naming it because I am not sure of all the rules on here but it is so widely known as troublesome the first letter should be enough.

It is hard.

I had hip replacement......and couldn't put socks on for a long time!!
Good luck for a speedy recovery
I'm 4 months post hip replacement. I'm still using my sock puller for that one foot, but I can actually reach down and touch my toes on that foot when sitting. My husband had to help me put on socks/cut toenails for the first couple of months.

Jon I hope your recovery from back surgery goes as well as mine did. It was about 18 months ago now, and things are great. Don't push things, take the meds if you need them, and when physical therapy starts, be sure to do the exercises.
It will make all the difference.

Good Luck. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

What is your recovery time? Two months out from trip, you may lose a lot of stamina due to healing/resting. Seems strange after a week or two of resting, a walk to the mail box is really long.
You're so right! I have been mentally preparing myself for still not being able to go on some of my favorite rides. If that's the case, then so be it- I'll just do the best I can between now and then!

Jon I hope your recovery from back surgery goes as well as mine did. It was about 18 months ago now, and things are great. Don't push things, take the meds if you need them, and when physical therapy starts, be sure to do the exercises.
It will make all the difference.

Good Luck. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you so much, my friend! This community is so supportive!

Hug and healing prayer, Jon and anyone else recovering. I hear you on needing help with socks or in my case pajama pants at times (recovering from feet issues). Take care of and be kind to yourself. Know we care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter