Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Best time to get tickets? So I have been watching flights and cost trying to figure out the best option coming in from Cali. I found a good price on tickets and just never committed to getting them. So I said today while I have my last few hours of peace and quiet before summer break I would get tickets and now they have gone up about $20. I know I know not that bad but kicking myself a bit. Should I go ahead and get or try and wait it out a little more. I do have to be careful as I am traveling with someone who is flying in from Maryland and want to land around the same time so we can travel to the resort together.
Get them now. At best, you've locked in a lower price before it continues to go up. At worst, the price will go down, and then you can just 'rebook' your flight and get the difference back as a credit.

Get them now. At best, you've locked in a lower price before it continues to go up. At worst, the price will go down, and then you can just 'rebook' your flight and get the difference back as a credit.
How long would that credit last for? I don't fly very often so don't want to loose the money either.

First time flying Southwest and I have a few questions! We are 2 adults with a 9 and 4 year old. Should I buy Early Bird check-in for 1 adult and the 9 year old? I read that the age cutoff for family boarding is 6. This is also a last minute trip so if I do buy EB I will be behind all the people who purchased it long ago correct?

I am just not familiar with what to do because we usually fly other airlines and we went with SW this time because it was the only non-stop option.

First time flying Southwest and I have a few questions! We are 2 adults with a 9 and 4 year old. Should I buy Early Bird check-in for 1 adult and the 9 year old? I read that the age cutoff for family boarding is 6. This is also a last minute trip so if I do buy EB I will be behind all the people who purchased it long ago correct?

I am just not familiar with what to do because we usually fly other airlines and we went with SW this time because it was the only non-stop option.
I think this depends on how important it is for the kids to be near the 2nd adult. If, say, Mom and 4yo family board, head to the back, and leave the middle seat open between them, no one is going to want to sit there in that middle specifically if you say that your 9yo is boarding later. I understand people being mad if you are seat saving aisles/windows/forward locations, but I can't imagine anyone is going to want that middle seat specifically versus any other back middle that will still be open. However, that leaves Dad wherever he can grab a seat, which may or may not be near your row. If you want the 2nd adult nearby, then your EB plan for two is the best way to make that happen.

Yes, it goes by order of seats booked. If you want to be towards the front of that pack, you could book WGA+ for the two that are adding EBCI. You're paying even more, but you'll be in line ahead of everyone on WGA EBCI.

I think this depends on how important it is for the kids to be near the 2nd adult. If, say, Mom and 4yo family board, head to the back, and leave the middle seat open between them, no one is going to want to sit there in that middle specifically if you say that your 9yo is boarding later. I understand people being mad if you are seat saving aisles/windows/forward locations, but I can't imagine anyone is going to want that middle seat specifically versus any other back middle that will still be open. However, that leaves Dad wherever he can grab a seat, which may or may not be near your row. If you want the 2nd adult nearby, then your EB plan for two is the best way to make that happen.

Yes, it goes by order of seats booked. If you want to be towards the front of that pack, you could book WGA+ for the two that are adding EBCI. You're paying even more, but you'll be in line ahead of everyone on WGA EBCI.
Thank you! This is so helpful!

This is also a last minute trip so if I do buy EB I will be behind all the people who purchased it long ago correct?

Yes, it goes by order of seats booked.

Just to clarify, it isn’t by when you booked your seat, but what category of fare you bought & when you purchased the EBCI. Someone could have booked their WGA ticket on release day, but not purchased EBCI until a week before their flight. They’d always be behind everyone with BS, Anytime, A list, WGA+. But they’ll also be checked in behind anyone with a WGA ticket that bought EBCI before they did. So to your question, if you have WGA tickets, you will be behind all those other fare categories & anyone else with a WGA fare who purchased EBCI before you.

How close is your trip? If it’s just days away, you may be only a few slots in front of people without EBCI. Is that worth it to you? Some people think it’s not worth it & just take their chance at checking themselves in. Another option may be to upgrade your husband & 9 yo’s boarding position at the 24 hour mark. NOTE: this option MAY or MAY NOT be available. If there are any spots open in BS, A 1-15, they’re offered as upgraded boarding. From my city it costs $45. The option is bookable online at the 24 hour mark, right as you check in if it is available. It is a gamble if it will be available of course, but it’s another option.

Just to clarify, it isn’t by when you booked your seat, but what category of fare you bought & when you purchased the EBCI. Someone could have booked their WGA ticket on release day, but not purchased EBCI until a week before their flight. They’d always be behind everyone with BS, Anytime, A list, WGA+. But they’ll also be checked in behind anyone with a WGA ticket that bought EBCI before they did. So to your question, if you have WGA tickets, you will be behind all those other fare categories & anyone else with a WGA fare who purchased EBCI before you.

How close is your trip? If it’s just days away, you may be only a few slots in front of people without EBCI. Is that worth it to you? Some people think it’s not worth it & just take their chance at checking themselves in. Another option may be to upgrade your husband & 9 yo’s boarding position at the 24 hour mark. NOTE: this option MAY or MAY NOT be available. If there are any spots open in BS, A 1-15, they’re offered as upgraded boarding. From my city it costs $45. The option is bookable online at the 24 hour mark, right as you check in if it is available. It is a gamble if it will be available of course, but it’s another option.
Thank you. That makes sense. Trip is 3 weeks away. Flying out of OKC non-stop so I think it will be mostly families. EBCI is 25pp right now. I’m not sure if that is any sign of the demand for it.

I talked with my husband and I think we will try sitting 3 and 1. He said he can sit wherever. But we can do 2-2 if needed.

I tend to have some anxiety when flying so I think not knowing how it will shake out and where we will sit it just getting to me some. But I also know it will all be ok!

I’m cracking up a little bit over here. Just tried to enter my info for the WannaGetAway Day sweepstakes, and I failed the “verify you are human” test. To be clear, the “test” is just clicking a checkbox, which I did.
I had no idea I was a cyborg until SW told me 🤣

Anyway, if any of you are human beings and eligible and interested- here is the contest link:
https://wannagetawayday.com/

Like others our flights have changed. Ours are to Houston and we are visiting family so while not ideal the changes don’t impact us all that much.

I do have a question though. Anyone know how to get a flight credit if you change to a flight that’s cheaper? Since they allow you to change twice for free. We want to change to a different flight from the one offered, but it’s $34 cheaper than our original flight we had booked.

I was going to cancel, then rebook. But how’s that work with ebci? Would the credit go back to the credit card we booked it with, or would the ebci be a flight credit then have to pay again with a credit card for it?

Is the best option changing flights three times? Twice for free, then the third for a credit?

In my experience with this, if you call to make the change, you can explain that new flight is cheaper and they should also help you get a travel fund credit.

Replying to myself here just in case anyone is in the same boat ever. I ended up just booking the two free changes, then changed to the flight I was looking at the third time, and I got the credit. There were two flights that fit our ideal schedule so I went between the two of them to try. Figured if it didn’t work out I’d be happy with either one.

I was going to call, but wasn’t sure of how long that would take. Took me a couple minutes to do it online.

No. If SW changes your flight and then you choose to move to another flight as a result, it's 'free.' You don't pay the difference, regardless of whether it's cheaper or more expensive. If you find you've moved to a cheaper flight and want to get that credit, you'll either have to call, or do the two 'free' switches you're allowed to do, and then move to the cheaper flight (after two free switches then it goes back to their normal policy, so you could get the flight credit).
I had this scenario (flight change, but then the BDAY code came out...) and I tried to call to get the adjustment. After being on hold for 15+ minutes, I got through to someone and she had to put me on hold for another 20 minutes, only to come back and tell me it can't be done. She said that the "BDAY" is an online-only code so the only thing she could do is cancel it and I could rebook on my own. Since I bought EBCI and I purchased the tickets about 3 days after they released (Dec trip), I did not want to lose my spot in line and have to re-buy EBCI. So, even though YMMV, you may not want to "save time" and just call.

I went through the steps of changing my flight twice for free and then going back to the original and I received 1300ish points back.

Also, SW is having a sale on points! With my recent refunds, I only needed 11K points to complete our itinerary for DH and I in October. With EBCI for both of us, our total R/T is going to cost me $265. If the price goes down, I can always get my extra points back and use them for my annual trip next year.

Our flights to MCO dropped by $46. This flight had a time change, so I had a free change coming. But it was very easy to get the travel credit. I just had to change the flight twice. I was able to make the two changes right away. :)

I had this scenario (flight change, but then the BDAY code came out...) and I tried to call to get the adjustment. After being on hold for 15+ minutes, I got through to someone and she had to put me on hold for another 20 minutes, only to come back and tell me it can't be done. She said that the "BDAY" is an online-only code so the only thing she could do is cancel it and I could rebook on my own. Since I bought EBCI and I purchased the tickets about 3 days after they released (Dec trip), I did not want to lose my spot in line and have to re-buy EBCI. So, even though YMMV, you may not want to "save time" and just call.

I went through the steps of changing my flight twice for free and then going back to the original and I received 1300ish points back.
You do realize by changing your flight twice for free and then going back to the original that you lost your spot in EBCI, right? No, you didn't have to re-buy it, but you did go to the back of the line as soon as you changed your flight (even though you changed it back).

That does make sense about the BDAY code. If it's online only, then there's nothing the call center can do with regards to booking/using the code. If all you're trying to do is move a flight, the call center will be able to help you.

wow, just wow with all these change in times. We don't fly often but in maybe 10 years on southwest, we've only had a 15 mins or so change. Not talking about day of trip, we've had delays all over the place.

I just booked our trips yesterday and this morning out of Phila. Dec 13 was watching flight at $161 for a few weeks. Yesterday with the BDAY code is was $118. This morning is was $194. Nov 29....watching for a few weeks,,, 225 ish , jump up about $20, back down and up.....Yesterday I noted lots of flights at lower levels on other days are sold out. The flight was running at $246. This morning at 4:30 am, I checked . $229. I bought. An hour later....no longer available.

Someone asked about combining credits. I had no idea about this, we had a bunch of $30 ish and a few $100. Total about $500. I spent lots of time "flying" here to there and then cancel the next day. And repeat. I switch about $375 to me. And I had about $150 in my account. I had no idea, that mean ONLY I could use them. I thought since I was booking for my husband and I with one confirmation number, it would work. It didn't. But I did use most of it on my tickets and transfer some to DH to use on his tickets.

This is just to much brain energy. STAT I need some cheesecake.

You do realize by changing your flight twice for free and then going back to the original that you lost your spot in EBCI, right? No, you didn't have to re-buy it, but you did go to the back of the line as soon as you changed your flight (even though you changed it back).

If you change your flight because it went down in price, but keep the same flight, do you still lose your EBCI spot? Or is this only if you change to a different date/time?

If you change your flight because it went down in price, but keep the same flight, do you still lose your EBCI spot? Or is this only if you change to a different date/time?
I believe you lose your EBCI spot. It also might depend on what fare 'level' you're at.

That does make sense about the BDAY code. If it's online only, then there's nothing the call center can do with regards to booking/using the code. If all you're trying to do is move a flight, the call center will be able to help you.
Yeah, but that’s OK for this flight. I am flying with my friend and we sit aisle/middle seat and we aren’t too picky. I buy EBCI for my flight home so that I do not need to worry about checking in at T-24 while on vacation.

I believe you lose your EBCI spot. It also might depend on what fare 'level' you're at.

A poster checked this out a few months ago. The price went down close to their trip, she rebooked her flight but not her husband’s. Their boarding numbers were still consecutive so it appeared rebooking her flight did not affect her place in the EBCI line. I’m sorry I don’t remember which poster it was.

No, we have evidence that if you change only for a price difference you do not lose your place in line. It's been confirmed both here and on FlyerTalk.
A poster checked this out a few months ago. The price went down close to their trip, she rebooked her flight but not her husband’s. Their boarding numbers were still consecutive so it appeared rebooking her flight did not affect her place in the EBCI line. I’m sorry I don’t remember which poster it was.
That was over a year a half ago now. I kept the post bookmarked for a while but got rid of it after a year. It's amazing how time can fly sometimes. IIRC, it was a $10 difference and the poster made the change just so we would have the datapoint.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest