Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Can someone help me understand what will happen when I cancel our SW flights? We are set to travel in October, but our personal preference is to not be in large crowds until there's a vaccine. I think we're going to delay our trip for now. I purchased the airfare for my family (2 adults, 3 kids) as well as my parents. We're all new to flying SW, so I created a Rapid Rewards account for each adult and linked their ticket to their rapid rewards. The kids tickets aren't linked to any rapid rewards right now.

I see on SW website that if we cancel our tickets (Wanna Get Away) we can convert those travel funds to Rapid Rewards so they never expire and can be used for anyone. Does that mean that my husband and I could use all of the rewards for ourselves to go on a more expensive flight somewhere? Any tips on how to do that all on their website? Or should I really just call?
The credits are assigned to the individual travelers and a credit from one customer's cancelled ticket cannot be used to purchase another's ticket. However, with Southwest's recently announced upcoming accommodation, which will allow the conversion of cash travel funds to Rapid Rewards points, the points can be used to purchase a ticket for anyone, not just for the person who holds the points. Southwest has not yet released any detailed information on the exact formula of conversion to points or when that will occur. We also do not know for how long the travel credit to points conversion will be offered; it has never been offered before.

I would set up Rapid Rewards accounts for your kids, as well, and add their RR number to their tickets. That will allow you to track their credits through the easy link, after you log into their accounts; at the top of the page, just refer to My Travel Funds, after selecting the My Account option.

Keep copies of your original flights/confirmation numbers, as that info will not be available when logging into your account, after you cancel. If you do not convert to points, you will need the original confirmation numbers to apply the credit to new flights.

Has anyone had trouble modifying a flight without paying an increased fare? The website says flights through 4/30 can rebook within 60 days, but I have a 5/1 flight. [I would have expected that 4/30 date would have changed by now, but it hasn't] I attempted to change the flight but it's only giving me 30 days to rebook. I contacted Southwest and was told it should actually just be 14 days. Anyone else run into this?
Yes, a friend has late May booking and only can change to 30 days, either way. That is still more liberal than the normal 14 day change, either way of original date. What if you change the date to April 30? Maybe that new date will give you a 60 day change window.

Yes, a friend has late May booking and only can change to 30 days, either way. That is still more liberal than the normal 14 day change, either way of original date. What if you change the date to April 30? Maybe that new date will give you a 60 day change window.
Thank you so much!!! I searched everywhere and couldn't find anything about the in-between 30 day rebook policy, so I'm glad to hear others saw it too. Also - genius idea to change my current flight from 5/1 to 4/30, I hadn't thought of that. Once I did that I could rebook with the 60 day window. :) It is still very likely I will need to cancel as who knows what things will be like in June but want to hold onto my crazy cheap fare as long as possible. Hoping to get in a quick surprise 18th birthday/graduation trip sometime this spring/summer if at all possible.

So is it easier to change a flight to a lower fare when it is one way ticket?
I have a round trip ticket book and have to call each time I see a lower fare. I get an error. When I try to use the change function.

From what I understand one way can be modified online or app but RT has to be called in. I might be wrong but after reading this I always do one way now

So is it easier to change a flight to a lower fare when it is one way ticket?
I have a round trip ticket book and have to call each time I see a lower fare. I get an error. When I try to use the change function.
You can change just one leg of a roundtrip reservation. After selecting "change," you will select which of your flights are to be changed; you do not need to select both outbound and return flights under the same confirmation number. I suggest using the website, not the app, for any changes. However, if you still receive an error message, there is a chance that your flight will not be operating, or there could just be a glitch; in that case, either calling, or contacting Southwest through social media, may still be needed.

Last edited:

You can change just one leg of a roundtrip reservation. After selecting "change," you will select which of your flights are to be changed; you do not need to select both outgoing and return flights under the same confirmation number. I suggest using the website, not the app, for any changes. However, if you still receive an error message, there is a chance that your flight will not be operating, or there could just be a glitch; in that case, either calling or contacting Southwest may still be needed.
They changed this flight last week. I Received an email regarding the change. I originally booked an earlier flight . I believe they combined a few flights and the new one I am on is an acceptable time for us . This flight is now showing 30 less a person so I was trying to get the lesser fare.
We have round trip And EB attached. Maybe that’s why I get the error. I will call . Thanks

I have a family of six. When I go to rebook a flight with travel funds do I need to I need to book each family member one at a time or is there a way for me to book everyone at once using the travel funds? TIA!

I have a family of six. When I go to rebook a flight with travel funds do I need to I need to book each family member one at a time or is there a way for me to book everyone at once using the travel funds? TIA!

You can only use a max of 2 Travel Funds per booking. You'll most likely have to book a separate flight for each person. However, if you only have a single travel fund per person, then you could book three reservations, each with 2 people. Similarly, if you have more than 2 Travel Funds per person, you'll need to book separate one-way flights for each person in order to use the funds. If you have more than 4 per person, you will not be able to use them all on this one trip.

Steve

SWA told me you can use 2 TF PER PERSON plus one extra form of payment. So far that has been true for us. So dh and I booking a one way flight I can use 2TF each plus a GC/credit card

Are you saying that you were able to book a flight using a total of 4 TFs and a credit card?

Steve

Yes. Just did it recently. The SWA agent on FB or chat (can’t remember which) said as much and then I was able to do it. I’m sure about it as I had several TF spread among several family members and flights. I had a reservation that I had gotten a $10 TF for each me and DH then they canceled and had another $49 TF got each of us. Was able to book a one Way flight for both of us sane ressie and used all 4. It was the exact same price without having to use another form of payment but she indicated we could if necessary

Yeah, IIRC, I was able to also use 2 TF per person along with a credit card on a single booking. I think it totaled 3 (could have been 4) TFs and 1 credit card when all was said and done.

Yes. Just did it recently. The SWA agent on FB or chat (can’t remember which) said as much and then I was able to do it. I’m sure about it as I had several TF spread among several family members and flights. I had a reservation that I had gotten a $10 TF for each me and DH then they canceled and had another $49 TF got each of us. Was able to book a one Way flight for both of us sane ressie and used all 4. It was the exact same price without having to use another form of payment but she indicated we could if necessary

This is new to me then (and I see it when I try to book a flight with TF). This has not been my experience in the past 20 years of flying SW; the limit has always been 2 TF per booking.

Thanks for the correction!

Steve

Great to hear this, thanks for sharing @Erica Ladd and @Iowamomof4 :)

This is new to me then (and I see it when I try to book a flight with TF). This has not been my experience in the past 20 years of flying SW; the limit has always been 2 TF per booking.

Thanks for the correction!

Steve
New to me too, this must be a fairly recent change. I'm pretty sure I tried either in December or January and had the limit.
Awesome change!

UGH- SW changed my July flight yet again. First moved it up with a better arrival time but now changed it to a layover. Did not get a notification. Going to wait it out until Disney makes an opening decision and may move the trip up a day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter