Possible Disney College program rejection reasons?

TaraDactile7

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone! :)

I was just wondering what may be some possible reasons the Disney College program would reject a candidate. Any ideas?? This program means so much to me. It would change my life in so many different ways and I can honestly say that I would be absolutely devestated if I got rejected. I applied last Monday, later that day they sent me an email to do an online interview. About 30 min later, I got another email saying I was a strong candidate and they'd like me to schedule a phone interivew. I had my phone interview the next day :D I'm so excited, but after reading these sad stories about people being rejected, I'm getting even more nervous and I didn't evne think that was possible!

So what are some possible reasons Disney would choose to reject a candidate?

Maybe it could be when they apply...from what I could tell it seems like Disney is first come, first serve... I didn't get in :confused3 but I'm not giving up...I'll definatly apply when they start up for the Spring 2013 season. :love:

I suspect there are probably a lot of possible reasons. A bad interview (not sounding happy, just all over lousy interview) would probably get a denial. What roles you agree to do can affect it as well. If you only agree to do, say, BBB, your chances would be highly limited because it's not a role that takes many people. If you come off as immature in your interview, or react badly to suggestions by interviewers (ex. How would you handle if a guest started yelling at you? Bad answers to that could be: "Oh, that wouldn't ever happen" or "I hate being yelled at, it really upsets me") then you could be in trouble as well. Also, if you just don't have the experience you need for the roles you want (i.e. Want to be a Concierge, have never been to disney; want to be in BBB, have no experience working with kids; want to be a lifeguard, no lifeguarding experience ever) you'll probably be turned down. As long as you applied for plenty of roles, all of which you're qualified for, and had a positive interview, you should be set!

Also, side note, if you apply at the end of the application period, space will be much more drastically limited so your chances of being denied highly increase.

Ally, Disney is not first come first served at all. I applied the first day (1/23) and got in but others that applied the same day did not get in. You have the same chance applying now as you would if you were the first person to apply. That is why some people are pending. They want the best people not the first people. I'm glad you are trying again though. Disney likes positive people who don't give up. :)
The reasons you can be denied vary. The person might not sound happy and enthusiastic enough in the interview, or they might not be a match for the roles they put down (which is why putting more roles increases your chances, if you only put one or two roles you could still get in but it isn't as likely), or someone else could have just done better in the interview.
I have been rejected twice (after being pending 3 months each time). I finally got in my third time applying and I think the reasons I didn't get in the first 2 times were that I didn't sound excited and happy enough, I was nervous and it showed and I didn't give long enough answers. They want you to think before you answer the questions, don't be afraid to pause and think.
My advice is to just try not to think about rejections. Stay positive and if you don't get in try again because you'll get in eventually.
And join us in the facebook group if you haven't already. They helped me a lot when I was waiting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/disneycp2012/

Ally, Disney is not first come first served at all. I applied the first day (1/23) and got in but others that applied the same day did not get in. You have the same chance applying now as you would if you were the first person to apply. That is why some people are pending. They want the best people not the first people. I'm glad you are trying again though. Disney likes positive people who don't give up. :)
The reasons you can be denied vary. The person might not sound happy and enthusiastic enough in the interview, or they might not be a match for the roles they put down (which is why putting more roles increases your chances, if you only put one or two roles you could still get in but it isn't as likely), or someone else could have just done better in the interview.
I have been rejected twice (after being pending 3 months each time). I finally got in my third time applying and I think the reasons I didn't get in the first 2 times were that I didn't sound excited and happy enough, I was nervous and it showed and I didn't give long enough answers. They want you to think before you answer the questions, don't be afraid to pause and think.
My advice is to just try not to think about rejections. Stay positive and if you don't get in try again because you'll get in eventually.
And join us in the facebook group if you haven't already. They helped me a lot when I was waiting

Sorry I posted too soon! lol
You are right...

I found out the reason I didn't get it was because I'm still in my first semester of my freshman year so I didn't qualify to start. :blush: lol

I just posted this question but since i'm here...

Do you know any other requirements that disney checks before they accept you,other than the phone interview? (Like mabye how well you do in school?)

I want to make sure I have the best chances of getting in when I apply again ;)

Haha i put everything as a yes for roles. And I said yes to both WDW and DLR and no to a parking spot. I left myself to be literally the most flexible applicant. So if I don't get in I'll know the reasons and will report back. Good luck

But just throwing this out there you don't want to say yes to everything if you don't want to do it! You are in that role for 5+ months and you CAN NOT SWITCH! Trust me I did a CP back in Fall of 2010 I had bell services and I hated it I tried to get out and I couldn't! And I use to work at the DLR as a part time CM as a custodial busser ( they threw me a curve ball with that role) but ya. Even though this has nothing to do with getting denied! Its just a warning for what you choose!

Sorry I posted too soon! lol
You are right...

I found out the reason I didn't get it was because I'm still in my first semester of my freshman year so I didn't qualify to start. :blush: lol

I don't want to rain on your parade, but my daughter got accepted when she interviewed during the first semester of her freshman year. Her school did not allow her to get any credit but she was still able to do the program.

I think there is a lot of speculation but I honestly believe some people get rejected just because of bad luck.

Bad answers to that could be: "Oh, that wouldn't ever happen" or "I hate being yelled at, it really upsets me") then you could be in trouble as well.

As long as you applied for plenty of roles, all of which you're qualified for, and had a positive interview, you should be set!

Also, side note, if you apply at the end of the application period, space will be much more drastically limited so your chances of being denied highly increase.
They are really looking for consistency and positivity, anything other than that will be a red flag which you don't want. Also applying for every role doesn't necessarily mean you will be accepted for those specific roles, but just open more doors an increase your chances of being accepted.

I can also second that the later you apply, the more you restrict yourself. There's also that wonderful case of being pended. ;)

Haha i put everything as a yes for roles. And I said yes to both WDW and DLR and no to a parking spot. I left myself to be literally the most flexible applicant. So if I don't get in I'll know the reasons and will report back. Good luck
I was open to every role including both resorts as well. I definitely know what you mean!

But just throwing this out there you don't want to say yes to everything if you don't want to do it! You are in that role for 5+ months and you CAN NOT SWITCH! Trust me I did a CP back in Fall of 2010 I had bell services and I hated it I tried to get out and I couldn't! And I use to work at the DLR as a part time CM as a custodial busser ( they threw me a curve ball with that role) but ya. Even though this has nothing to do with getting denied! Its just a warning for what you choose!
The wonderful busser curve ball! There are a few positions with more specific tasks, and I have heard a few folks who enjoyed it. It's not exactly the same fit as the description says, but it can be interpreted in different ways.

Also, the one thing that irks me is those people who complain about getting an unwanted position. If you don't want it, don't put it down in the first place! Also, you do have the option of declining the College Program, no one is forcing you. ;)

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

The wonderful busser curve ball! There are a few positions with more specific tasks, and I have heard a few folks who enjoyed it. It's not exactly the same fit as the description says, but it can be interpreted in different ways.

Also, the one thing that irks me is those people who complain about getting an unwanted position. If you don't want it, don't put it down in the first place! Also, you do have the option of declining the College Program, no one is forcing you. ;)

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

it actually turned out it was just the people I worked with until the new fall people came in after that it was fun! I never regret my roles with Disney the only thing I regret is having to leave! I just said that so people read each role before they say yes!

I don't want to rain on your parade, but my daughter got accepted when she interviewed during the first semester of her freshman year. Her school did not allow her to get any credit but she was still able to do the program.

I think there is a lot of speculation but I honestly believe some people get rejected just because of bad luck.

Yea, I got the wrong information. When did she apply, as soon as the applications opened? Also, which school does she go to(if you don't mind me asking).

When I did my interview I didn't feel a connection with the woman. Has anyone else felt that?She wasn't too friendly like most people say...hmmm..guess it's just me.

When I did my interview I didn't feel a connection with the woman. Has anyone else felt that?She wasn't too friendly like most people say...hmmm..guess it's just me.

No, I felt that with my interviewer as well. She was very clipped and not very warm and rushed through the entire interview and barely gave me time to finish my answers to her questions, and she refused to let me talk about what work location I'd really like. I know work locations are just noted and not guaranteed, but it would have been nice to be able to explain why I wanted in certain locations! When I asked her open ended questions, she answered them in one word answers, and just didn't seem to really care. It was about a 7 minute long interview! She was polite, but I didn't feel a connection with her at all, and I honestly thought I had blown my interview. I did end up getting accepted, and I'm really sorry that you didn't ):

My best advice is to try again for the Spring 2013 semester! You'll have more college under your belt and will hopefully get interviewed by someone new.

No, I felt that with my interviewer as well. She was very clipped and not very warm and rushed through the entire interview and barely gave me time to finish my answers to her questions, and she refused to let me talk about what work location I'd really like. I know work locations are just noted and not guaranteed, but it would have been nice to be able to explain why I wanted in certain locations! When I asked her open ended questions, she answered them in one word answers, and just didn't seem to really care. It was about a 7 minute long interview! She was polite, but I didn't feel a connection with her at all, and I honestly thought I had blown my interview. I did end up getting accepted, and I'm really sorry that you didn't ):

My best advice is to try again for the Spring 2013 semester! You'll have more college under your belt and will hopefully get interviewed by someone new.

Thanks!
And I'll never give up! lol :thumbsup2

Haha I had that same woman... Somehow I got her to laugh though :-/ I hope I get accepted.

I really appreciate all of the info being shared here, but do some of you really have to post how many days you have left till you go on your adventure on threads like this?? It's kind of bragging. How do you think it makes people feel who are pending and maybe even rejected when you're posting "I have 15 days untill I get to go on the adventure you got denied from!" I mean it's not like it's necessary for you to post that

Its um a signature. It goes at the end of every post they make. I suggest you brush up on forum conventions before you lash out at people :)

Those things are in peoples signatures. They aren't just putting them on this post to hurt someone. For example,-mine is on mine in every forum I post on! Try not to take it personally because that's not why its there. :)

Its um a signature. It goes at the end of every post they make. I suggest you brush up on forum conventions before you lash out at people :)

I wasn't lashing out. I just thought it was insensitive if people were just posting it for the heck of it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter