Possible BLT owner meeting phone call scam

DVC Doctor

Member since 2001
DVC Gold
I just received a phone call inviting me to a my timeshare owners meeting and it was incredibly sketchy.

Because I own several different timeshare, I asked what one are they calling about. I think they said they were from Percision and said it was about BLT and when I questioned them if they are from Disney they said something like they are managing owners meetings.

I am 100% positive that Disney would not outsource these types of calls and considering that I have never been called before, I decided to tell them no way am I attending and then hung up. Also, it was a local area code and when I googled the number I got nothing - as in no matches.

It got me thinking that I did by a resale BLT from Fidelity a year or so ago and is it possible that they sold or released my personal info as I can't imaging Disney doing this. I am not entirely sure how this happened, but they had my personal cell phone and knew that I owned BLT.

Not saying that your call was because of Disney but each year we are mailed a form with out tax bill that has to be filled out or Disney can share your info with third parties. I doubt that many return the form. I contacted Disney about their policy and suggested that they opt out everyone and opt in those who request it, they thanked me for the suggestion. I also asked if the form needs to be returned yearly and they didn't know.

:earsboy: Bill

They can get your name from the Orange County Controller’s website when your deed is recorded. They are probably fishing for people who want to sell and don’t have a feel for the value in the resale market.

This is the first time I received these types of calls and I was surprised they knew I owned BLT and seemed to target me for that resort.

I think they got my name from somewhere, perhaps a public record of when I bought the resale.

It is a scam as it was NOT Disney and they wanted me to go to an owners meeting and I really did not want to give or get any more information so I hung up.

This is the first time I received these types of calls and I was surprised they knew I owned BLT and seemed to target me for that resort.

I think they got my name from somewhere, perhaps a public record of when I bought the resale.
As a PP mentioned your DVC ownership is a matter of public record.

When you purchase a DVC timeshare, the deed is recorded as a public record available to anyone, and it contains your name, the resort you own and your percentage interest in the applicable "unit" (which differs from a room in that a "unit" is often two or more rooms). The companies that call you are likely those who began their search there and then look for you and your phone number. There are even companies that gather the information they can on you (and other timeshare owners) and then sell names, resort ownership information, and phone numbers to the scammers who call you. I get calls at least twice monthly, often from those organizations that promise for an outrageous fee that they will get you out of having to pay dues annually by your giving up your ownership interest for no compensation. As to the "Precision" call the one thing that is certain is that it was not Disney or DVC because they do not make calls to inform members of any meeting.

They can get your name from the Orange County Controller’s website when your deed is recorded. They are probably fishing for people who want to sell and don’t have a feel for the value in the resale market.

It is a scam as it was NOT Disney and they wanted me to go to an owners meeting and I really did not want to give or get any more information so I hung up.

Go on to the Orange County Controller's website and search for your own name. You will be surprised at what pops up. Every single one of our DVC purchases, both direct and resale, since the 90's, is there. Even the resale shows who you bought from and what resort. Anyone can check this out. Easy enough to do a search and then find phone numbers on the various on-line sites. Does not matter if you have an unlisted AND are on the "do no call" registry. I got one of those calls back in January. I knew it was a scam because the caller id will always indicate Disney Vacation Club and a 407 area code. I made that person squirm quite a bit as I asked questions....she said our "guide" gave her our contact info...I asked...really, what is the guide's name? "Well, I don't have that information in front of me, we are just given a call list".

I contacted Disney about their policy and suggested that they opt out everyone and opt in those who request it, they thanked me for the suggestion. I also asked if the form needs to be returned yearly and they didn't know

I wonder if they make money selling sharing that info. It's hard to tell.

I wonder if they make money selling sharing that info. It's hard to tell.
They don’t make money on it as they don’t share it. As many others have said, it’s public information on the OC Tax Collector site.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago turned out to be a company that sells timeshares.... terrible waste of time

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter